Mikhail Kolyada | Page 54 | Golden Skate

Mikhail Kolyada

vorravorra

Record Breaker
So nice from Mika to be a mentor for younger Russian skaters :) Good for Stasya :clap: Could be one of the reasons behind her good start at Nationals.

Very interesting interview, also I am glad that he has command over things he wants to do and is doing that on his own terms.
I got the impression from Misha's interviews that he has a lot to say on the subject of jumps, which is not surprising considering the topic of his diploma project. In one of his latest interviews he mentioned that the method of teaching multi-rotation jumps to figure skaters he described in it he had tried on himslef first (original research :laugh:) and that it got special mention by his supervisor - maybe he had practised on Stasya too a bit :biggrin:. He also seems strong on theory in general.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Back from holidays, so much info to digest here- thanks everyone for your posts! BTW who else noticed this thread went over 1000 posts around Russian Nats?

I am still watching and re-watching Mika’s LP and EX from Nationals. I finally ‘got’ them both, I was not sure I really liked either till now. And the crowd’s reaction was just :clapper::hap10:

With his 4Lz I think Mika has the same problem he used to have on 4T – too much elevation hence a trouble to control the landing. It is just takes time, more mileage on the jump to really feel it. I was relieved to learn from the interviews that Valentina is the same cautious coach as always and that a ‘quad race’ is driven by Mika himself. His account of doing too many 4Lzs in one practice is a bit disturbing and I am glad they limit it to 15 min per session now. I noticed his Bielmann as not as easy looking as used to which could be due to the extra strain on the back of doing all the quads. I wonder if it would be a wise thing to replace Bielmann with some other spin, what you guys think?

Can’t believe the Euros practically just a week away! Any info if they are back from Finland?

Oh and I could not help laughing about mandarins ‘binge’ - Mika is still such a kid :luv17: hope he doesn’t do it often though – I used to be like this -2L of tomato juice in one go was no problem for me but now i pay the price - food allergies and can eat very little apart from porridge, potatoes & white cabbage :(

Last edited:

buton

On the Ice
Back from holidays, so much info to digest here- thanks everyone for your posts! BTW who else noticed this thread went over 1000 posts around Russian Nats?

I am still watching and re-watching Mika’s LP and EX from Nationals. I finally ‘got’ them both, I was not sure I really liked either till now. And the crowd’s reaction was just :clapper::hap10:

With his 4Lz I think Mika has the same problem he used to have on 4T – too much elevation hence a trouble to control the landing. It is just takes time, more mileage on the jump to really feel it. I was relieved to learn from the interviews that Valentina is the same cautious coach as always and that a ‘quad race’ is driven by Mika himself. His account of doing too many 4Lzs in one practice is a bit disturbing and I am glad they limit it to 15 min per session now. I noticed his Bielmann as not as easy looking as used to which could be due to the extra strain on the back of doing all the quads. I wonder if it would be a wise thing to replace Bielmann with some other spin, what you guys think?

Can’t believe the Euros practically just a week away! Any info if they are back from Finland?

And the short too! Espesially the foxtrot part:agree: I like his bielmann, it has a very classic look, and he does it with a good speed. I think I saw on the Russian Tv a little opening before every FS broadcasting, and the last shots, behind the label was like a shadow of Bielmann, and you could recognize that it is Mika's Bielmann from the "Nightmare before Christmas". Can't find it now unfortunatly. But it looks like his trademark, it would be a pity if he wouldn't do it further.

It looks like he is back to Saint-Petersburg, there was a report at one of the local channel about trainings of "Christmas Carols Michael"(c)Google translator
https://topspb.tv/news/2017/01/12/p...kolyada-na-che-sdelayu-vse-chto-v-moih-silah/

vorravorra

Record Breaker
It looks like he is back to Saint-Petersburg, there was a report at one of the local channel about trainings of "Christmas Carols Michael"(c)Google translator
https://topspb.tv/news/2017/01/12/p...kolyada-na-che-sdelayu-vse-chto-v-moih-silah/
The commentator talks about how Misha is usually the last one to leave the ice and could keep practising forever and that he is maximally thoughtful and concentrated during practices. That he wants to improve on his 5th place at last year's Europeans and get into the first three.

Valentina says that they are very happy about winning Nationals but the training is going as usual.

The filmed bit of Misha-Valentina interaction: something isn't working and Valentina is telling Misha to try one more time but to pull himself together and not to do many futile attempts as they take up a lot of energy. She also says that then he should just practice the loop (a jump that doesn't agree with Misha as we know).

Misha says that Europeans will be his third competition where he will try both of his quads and he is gradually getting a good grasp on what is going on. He talks about the importance of quads in men's skating, that you can't win anything without them, even Nationals - any Nationals. He also says he is trying to think positive for Europeans and will try to do the best he is capable of.

Last edited:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Misha is truly a celebrity in Russia now - the UTair airline has published an interview with him in their in-flight magazine :cool:

https://pp.vk.me/c837239/v837239479/1e419/7GcGJ0BLOPU.jpg
https://pp.vk.me/c837239/v837239479/1e422/G3wwmfGx9xQ.jpg
https://pp.vk.me/c837239/v837239479/1e42b/GaH9rjnxOu8.jpg

A summary:

Misha's current ideal in figure skating is Javier Fernandez.

Misha only realised that figure skating is his life's work 5-6 years ago. Before that he had tried to give up - more than three times - it had got as far as gathering his things and saying good bye to everyone. He had felt that skating was too hard, that he was bored with it and wanted to try something new, maybe soccer. Both his parents and his coaches had had a lot of conversations with him about it. Finally he had realised that too much effort had been put into skating and that he didn't want to let his parents and his coaches down. The last time he had tried to leave was at age 13-14 when he had been going through a difficult period which he had finally got over after changing schools, when he was able to view the situation from a new angle. But by that time he had fallen quite a bit behind his peers and had to catch up.

He is a lark so early morning practices were easier for him - there was a period when he had to start at 6.30 am as later the ice was taken by pairs. But it wasn't easy on his parents who had to bring him to the rink every morning.

From the group of children he started training with (around 15 people) only he and Aleksandra Stepanova are still skating competitively, others either have given up or skate in shows.

Unlike some skaters, he got to have a fun and interesting childhood, at least in the summer at ages 6-8 as pre-season preparation only started in August and he had time to stay with his grandmother and run around with other boys. From age 9 the training camp began in June and the freedom was over.

The interviewer asks whether Misha has had to do some studying at the Academy between practices - he says yes, for University in the changing room with the work in his lap. But he prefers to study at home as he is easily distracted by everything that is going on around him.

He got his first prize money in figure skating in 2011 for the Youth Spartakiad (he was second in juniors), it was 30,000 rubles. The first thing he did was to share it with his coaches, but he does not remember what he bought for himself.

His least favourite element is the loop, his favourites are the lutz and toe.

Starting to practice 4Lz was scary at first, but after 2-3 attempts he got used to it as it was not his first quad, he had learned 4T and 4S before that. However, lutz is far harder on the knee and the back.

He loves figure skating, but cannot fully accept that judging is so subjective, that whether a skater has made a name for himself influences the scores independently on what happens on the ice.

There have been many attempts to take him away from Valentina starting 6-7 years ago when he began showing good results. Apparently Valentina has had to bear the brunt of it, as it was her that various people came to talk to. But he and his parents decided not to look elsewhere and now it is much calmer as people have figured out that he won't leave.

The interviewer says that many fans perceive Misha to be the last hope of men's figure skating in Russia and asks whether he feels this attitude. Misha sighs and says that yes, of course he does, and sometimes it is stressful. But he still tries simply to do his work and move forward, because if you allow yourself to get distracted there will be no energy left - either physical or emotional - to achieve the main goal.

Last edited:

ejnsofi

Final Flight
This interview seems to be so interesting :D I'll try to read it later (I hope my Russian skills won't let me down)
It shows how much determination you have to have to be a champion. He skates and deals with university. I barely can menage the latter without skating :O
I keep my fingers crossed for him! I hope he'll show us beautiful quad lutz at Europeans <3

Tutto

Record Breaker
Misha is truly a celebrity in Russia now - the UTair airline has published an interview with him in their in-flight magazine :cool:
Thanks for posting & translating this interesting interview. Mika may not be a celebrity yet but he is well on his way... IIRC Vaitsekhovskaya predicted after Boston Mika's popularity to be on par with one of Yulia Lipnitskaia, but I sincerely hope that the fans' love won't be so suffocating as it has been for Yulia!
Just a week to go to Euros - can't wait!!
Was looking through the Russian Nationals again - interesting that Trankov said about Lambiel offering to work with Mika - I just find it hard to believe that Mika & his team could turn him down. I wonder how much of that was just a hearsay. I recently was thinking about what choreographer would suit Mika best and suddenly thought of Christopher Dean and how great they seemed to get along at TCC. Something about the precision Chris has in his choreo (and skating) would I think match Mika's own as well as his uniqueness...is it a mad idea? I am not that convinced that Lambiel would be an ideal choice.

Edit: Ho ho it is my 1,000th post!

Last edited:

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
The interviewer says that many fans perceive Misha to be the last hope of men's figure skating in Russia and asks whether he feels this attitude. Misha sighs and says that yes, of course he does, and sometimes it is stressful. But he still tries simply to do his work and move forward, because if you allow yourself to get distracted there will be no energy left - either physical or emotional - to achieve the main goal.

High expectations usually carry huge pressure. Hopefully Mika can make some break-through at the up-coming Euros!

vorravorra

Record Breaker
High expectations usually carry huge pressure. Hopefully Mika can make some break-through at the up-coming Euros!
Yes, imagine being told "you are the country's last hope", in whatever area :noshake: It's silly anyway. But Misha seems to be able to put it out of his mind to a sufficient degree.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Yes, imagine being told "you are the country's last hope", in whatever area :noshake: It's silly anyway. But Misha seems to be able to put it out of his mind to a sufficient degree.

Yeah, it's kind of sick. Especially since he is not "last hope". There are younger guys coming up in ranks too (Samarin finished second after all at Nationals ad Aliev has won JGPF), so there should be no such pressure on him. Besides, it can't be worse in 2018 Olympics than it was in Sochi. For one, Russia will almost certainly keep two spots, and secondly, less chance both Men would sustain injury and WD from competition. So I'd say Russian Men are already a step ahead comparing to what was in 2013...

Last edited:

Tutto

Record Breaker
New interview with Valentina:

http://tass.ru/sport/3954979

In short: the plan is to fight for the podium in Ostrava. At Worlds with much stronger competition the main goal to skate clean not thinking of placements. Neither 4lz or 4S are stable yet but they are taking the risk of including 4lz now because of the approaching Olympics. 'It is too late to be afraid, we must speed up'
Competing at Worlds in Boston and at RoC in 2015 had a big impact on Mika as regards to quads, when he saw skaters just like himself going for them, his attitude changed - he started trying what before he had thought impossible and succeeded.

ejnsofi

Final Flight
New interview with Valentina:

http://tass.ru/sport/3954979

In short: the plan is to fight for the podium in Ostrava. At Worlds with much stronger competition the main goal to skate clean not thinking of placements. Neither 4lz or 4S are stable yet but they are taking the risk of including 4lz now because of the approaching Olympics. 'It is too late to be afraid, we must speed up'
Competing at Worlds in Boston and at RoC in 2015 had a big impact on Mika as regards to quads, when he saw skaters just like himself going for them, his attitude changed - he started trying what before he had thought impossible and succeeded.

Thank you! It's such a great interview. I really appreciate how Valentina handles things. She says "No pressure. Misha doesn't have to be World Champion. He doesn't even have to be European Champion. He has to be the best in his own terms and we hope it will be enough to win medal in Ostrava. In Helsinki we just want to avoid mistakes" but she's also like "We are not idle. We are still fighting."

I think this kind of attitude is really important for both: skater and his fans.

I love Misha but I'm also realistic person. Javi is a favourite to defend his European Champion title and he probably will. I just want to see clean quad Lutz and make people fall in love with Misha's skating :love: And I'd really like him to skate during the gala

vorravorra

Record Breaker
A rather controversial short interview with TAT.

https://vk.com/video-24618099_456239199

The video is about the men's Europeans team, namely Kovtun, Kolyada and Samarin, introduced in that order. TAT appears and says that any of the three can be second, but if any of them manages to beat Fernandez she'll be only too happy. So far so good. Then she continues, describing how she's been to see how Kovtun and Samarin are training, Kovtun is hoping for a come back, Samarin working especially hard to fix his problems [namely PCS according to him and his coach which is to be applauded - vorravorra], and Kolyada... is just a talented guy. A bit of a non sequitur. It's hardly Misha's fault he doesn't train at CSKA so she can't easily come and see him practice. Then she goes on saying that Misha is not quite a professional yet, but that's his charm. She said exactly the same thing last season, so I am not sure what Misha would need to do to qualify as a professional and when that's going to happen. It sounded condescending at best. As someone in the VK group said, maybe you can talk about him being still rough around the edges or somesuch, but saying he is not a real professional is borderline insulting.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
A rather controversial short interview with TAT.

https://vk.com/video-24618099_456239199

The video is about the men's Europeans team, namely Kovtun, Kolyada and Samarin, introduced in that order. TAT appears and says that any of the three can be second, but if any of them manages to beat Fernandez she'll be only too happy. So far so good. Then she continues, describing how she's been to see how Kovtun and Samarin are training, Kovtun is hoping for a come back, Samarin working especially hard to fix his problems [namely PCS according to him and his coach which is to be applauded - vorravorra], and Kolyada... is just a talented guy. A bit of a non sequitur. It's hardly Misha's fault he doesn't train at CSKA so she can't easily come and see him practice. Then she goes on saying that Misha is not quite a professional yet, but that's his charm. She said exactly the same thing last season, so I am not sure what Misha would need to do to qualify as a professional and when that's going to happen. It sounded condescending at best. As someone in the VK group said, maybe you can talk about him being still rough around the edges or somesuch, but saying he is not a real professional is borderline insulting.

It's very funny she says that when Misha has every and all qualities about skating more developed than both Kovtun and Samarin. I really don't know what we should expect from Kovtun's fairy Godmother. Maybe Kovtun can churn out more quads, but what about the rest? And the quality? Samarin is still years away from the top. But I guess the message that the Fed sent at RNs is not enough for her: Kolyada won by a landslide, and he wasn't even perfect.