Mikhail Kolyada | Page 41 | Golden Skate

Mikhail Kolyada

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Not my favourite version of Hallelujah (but also not bad), but heavens, Mika CAN perform! :love:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
WOW that EX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cant wait for him performing it @ Intl stage!!!:bow::bow:

buton

On the Ice
About the odd face Misha makes in the second gif: he was facing Stasya Konstantinova and other teammates who were yelling at the top of their voices in his support. This is him making fun of them.

:confused:And in the first gif you can see that camera catched Stanislava&Co yelling to support him, while the second cam shows Mika is mocking them. That's why it's good to see some moments from different cameras.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
:confused:And in the first gif you can see that camera catched Stanislava&Co yelling to support him, while the second cam shows Mika is mocking them. That's why it's good to see some moments from different cameras.
Yes, the first one is from Mikhail Sharov's video, the second one is from the Figurist TV stream. Fortunately for us they filmed from the opposite sides. Unfortunately, Mikhail Sharov did not film the SP due to being out of town so there is no good quality video of it.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Yes, this is why I am slightly dreading the shirt that Valentina mentioned for his costume. I would be perfectly happy if they just left him in that T-shirt with bare arms so you can see the exquisite lines. And honestly, he is attention-grabbing enough in that program not to need bright colours.

I think a short-sleeved shirt with an open collar could be a perfect answer, the best colour for Mika is navy.
Shocked as many by the fed - so a skater had one (!) comedy program (Nightmare before Xmas hardly was that) and already typecast. Give me a break!

Getting nervous already for CoR! Hoping the Eurosport will do better than with SC

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I think a short-sleeved shirt with an open collar could be a perfect answer, the best colour for Mika is navy.
It is just that considering their track record with Misha's costumes I am not sure how much I trust them with that choice.

Shocked as many by the fed - so a skater had one (!) comedy program (Nightmare before Xmas hardly was that) and already typecast. Give me a break!
Of course we haven't heard the Fed's side of it. Nighmare Before Christmas is not a comedy but it's not romantic either though. The short program and the two long programs from last and this season are pretty much lighter or darker versions of the same thing. Misha has never done something like that Ex before. Not just in terms of topic, but also in terms of the quality of choreography and execution. His competition programs leave room for error, here every movement has to be perfect for it to work. (Finally something to properly showcase all those years of ballet training in Valentina's group under Klyushnichenko. Olga is actually a ballet choreographer, she doesn't come from a figure skating background, has this been mentioned here?) Maybe the Fed also hadn't seen him do this before and decided it was safer to stick to the old image? And of course the question remains how well he can both maintain this quality and jump, it looked like it required quite a bit of concentration for him. I would really like to hear the Fed's side of it.

Getting nervous already for CoR! Hoping the Eurosport will do better than with SC
Hopefully Misha overcomes that mental block he hits when trying 4S in competitions, everything else he shouldn't have a big problem with. The atmosphere at the CoR may provide the required push, he normally does better when a lot of people are watching and there is something real at stake.

Last edited:

Tutto

Record Breaker
Of course we haven't heard the Fed's side of it. Nighmare Before Christmas is not a comedy but it's not romantic either though. The short program and the two long programs from last and this season are pretty much lighter or darker versions of the same thing. Misha has never done something like that Ex before. Not just in terms of topic, but also in terms of the quality of choreography and execution. His competition programs leave room for error, here every movement has to be perfect for it to work. (Finally something to properly showcase all those years of ballet training in Valentina's group under Klyushnichenko. Olga is actually a ballet choreographer, she doesn't come from a figure skating background, has this been mentioned here?) Maybe the Fed also hasn't seen him do this before and decided it was safer to stick to the old image? And of course the question remains how well he can both maintain this quality and jump, it looked like it required quite a bit of concentration for him. I would really like to hear the Fed's side of it.

Hopefully Misha overcomes that mental block he hits when trying 4S in competitions, everything else he shouldn't have a big problem with. The atmosphere at the CoR may provide the required push, he normally does better when a lot of people are watching and there is something real at stake.

Yeah there are two sides to every story however I detest the idea of the fed interfering in music/program choices per se unless there is something really off, politically incorrect ha ha or whatever. I do see the argument of staying with same, tried and tested and concentrating on 4S this season but pity all the same. His EX I agree looks so good exactly because he could lose himself and skate with freedom and abandon. Can he skate like this in competition - maybe, maybe not yet we'll have to see. But I know we've seen glimpses of something really big and I am happy to wait for more!
He loved the atmosphere there last year, so hopefully it will help. I just hope the fed (again) refrain from putting pressure on him but with Maxim most certainly out of GPF and Voronov highly unlikely, Mika unfortunately remain one last hope and that's never good...

Last edited:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Yeah there are two sides to every story however I detest the idea of the fed interfering in music/program choices per se unless there is something really off, politically incorrect ha ha or whatever. I do see the argument of staying with same, tried and tested and concentrating on 4S this season but pity all the same. His EX I agree looks so good exactly because he could lose himself and skate with freedom and abandon. Can he skate like this in competition - maybe, maybe not yet we'll have to see. But I know we've seen glimpses of something really big and I am happy to wait for more!
He loved the atmosphere there last year, so hopefully it will help. I just hope the fed (again) refrain from putting pressure on him but with Maxim most certainly out of GPF and Voronov highly unlikely, Mika unfortunately remain one last hope and that's never good...
Yes, it's a bit odd that the Fed picked Misha to micromanage in terms of choreographic choices. Other members of the Russian team normally get to do what they want within reasonable limits. Which is why I would really like to know more about what exactly went on. And yes, now he has a chance to show the world how much more there is to him other than jumps.

As for the 4S I got the impression that Misha rather wants to do it himself which makes sense if there is nothing wrong with it in practice. And it looks like in terms of the technical content Valentina can stand her ground, hence no 4S in the SP. Of course, the Fed can still try to apply extra pressure, but Misha seems to have regained his mental balance and is not prone to unravelling because of one mistake even if he makes it.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Yes, it's a bit odd that the Fed picked Misha to micromanage in terms of choreographic choices. Other members of the Russian team normally get to do what they want within reasonable limits. Which is why I would really like to know more about what exactly went on. And yes, now he has a chance to show the world how much more there is to him other than jumps.

As for the 4S I got the impression that Misha rather wants to do it himself which makes sense if there is nothing wrong with it in practice. And it looks like in terms of the technical content Valentina can stand her ground, hence no 4S in the SP. Of course, the Fed can still try to apply extra pressure, but Misha seems to have regained his mental balance and is not prone to unravelling because of one mistake even if he makes it.

We'll never get to know full story :( But my guess is that maybe in the negotiation with the fed Valentina & Mika had to sacrifice the new sp in exchange for doing what was right in terms of tech content - not to rush with the second quad in the sp? If that was the case I think they made a right decision. Shame they had to make such decision at all...

Re your previous post, yes it was mentioned before that Olga has a ballet background and Mika's movements & hand gestures are always finished though not strictly balletic but solid choreo training is very evident. all he needs is programs which would fully utilise his skills

Edit: It seems the British Eurosport will cover all the events at CoR huraa! Now if only I could take a day off on Friday somehow - have to work on that haha

Last edited:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
We'll never get to know full story :( But my guess is that maybe in the negotiation with the fed Valentina & Mika had to sacrifice the new sp in exchange for doing what was right in terms of tech content - not to rush with the second quad in the sp? If that was the case I think they made a right decision. Shame they had to make such decision at all...
It's a bit of an odd alternative though - not one that makes sense on the Fed's part. It has been said that the old SP had been brought back because of the two quads, but that doesn't really make much sense either - what difference should it make which program to modify for two quads?

Re your previous post, yes it was mentioned before that Olga has a ballet background and Mika's movements & hand gestures are always finished though not strictly balletic but solid choreo training is very evident. all he needs is programs which would fully utilise his skills.
People have been saying that Misha skates such quirky choreography because of gaps in his classical training (i.e. he can't do it properly). At least now he's shown to the doubters he can do it properly if he puts his mind to it. (You'd think solid choreo training should be compulsory for everyone in figure skating, but apparently not. In groups other than Valentina's you could simply choose not to show up for those classes - and then we, the poor viewers, have to watch the results :rolleye:)

Last edited:

Sloopy

On the Ice
I finally found Mikhail's fan page! I saw him for the first time at worlds in Boston and immediately felt a connection to him and his skating and it wasn't the supposedly "quirkiness" of his programs that drew me in. There are only 3 men that I look forward to watching skate and he's one of them. It's unfortunate, and I'm sad to hear that he's having a hard time this year with his federation and his programs. I hope he's able to regroup and skate with the personality and heart that made me become a fan. He's the first Russian skater that I have ever enjoyed watching skate as he fills up the arena with charisma and presents to every angle of the arena -- not just to the judges. Such a cutie. I'll have to make time this weekend to watch COR.

Last edited:

buton

On the Ice
Since it's Halloween today, and Rostelecom Cup this week isn't it right time to remember his free programm there last year? This is Halloween, this is Halloween. Halloween! Halloween!
https://youtu.be/ZgYt90MYAdQ
I still think it was the best perfomance of this FP in terms of emotional. Yes, at Worlds it was cleaner but look at this split jump and his face in the end! The whole choreo sequence in the end is amazing. And he didn't prepared to his first GP event a lot. Just because Artur Gatchinsky withdrew from the event and he replaced him. But it looked like he finnaly get there where he was supposed to be at his 20. The great skater with big jumps, amazing spins, fast, flexible, charismatic and... those rosy cheeks of course! Crowd immediatly loved him. I wish him to do his best here this weekend and conquer the crowd again! Good luck, Mika!

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Edit: It seems the British Eurosport will cover all the events at CoR huraa! Now if only I could take a day off on Friday somehow - have to work on that haha
Apparently TAT is returning as a commentator to Match! Arena to replace Fedor Klimov - who seems to be the nicest and most tactful person, never saying a bad word about anyone in his entire run even in response to provocations. Not that he said a lot of good words either - he just doesn't seem to be terribly talkative, at least when watching figure skating - and I have come to feel it's a good thing. Because with TAT it can be a fun ride if you are bored with the actual skating, but if you want to concentrate on watching you'd better hope she turns off her microphone.

Last edited:

Tutto

Record Breaker
I finally found Mikhail's fan page! I saw him for the first time at worlds in Boston and immediately felt a connection to him and his skating and it wasn't the supposedly "quirkiness" of his programs that drew me in. There are only 3 men that I look forward to watching skate and he's one of them. It's unfortunate, and I'm sad to hear that he's having a hard time this year with his federation and his programs. I hope he's able to regroup and skate with the personality and heart that made me become a fan. He's the first Russian skater that I have ever enjoyed watching skate as he fills up the arena with charisma and presents to every angle of the arena -- not just to the judges. Such a cutie. I'll have to make time this weekend to watch COR.

Many thanks for posting here! I so envy you saw Mika live in Boston. Did you see both sp and lp?
Yes, it has been a bit of a rocky start to the season but Mika performed very well at the small domestic competition a couple of weeks ago and we all hope that things only will be getting better ... fingers crossed...

Since it's Halloween today, and Rostelecom Cup this week isn't it right time to remember his free programm there last year? This is Halloween, this is Halloween. Halloween! Halloween!
https://youtu.be/ZgYt90MYAdQ
I still think it was the best perfomance of this FP in terms of emotional. Yes, at Worlds it was cleaner but look at this split jump and his face in the end! The whole choreo sequence in the end is amazing. And he didn't prepared to his first GP event a lot. Just because Artur Gatchinsky withdrew from the event and he replaced him. But it looked like he finnaly get there where he was supposed to be at his 20. The great skater with big jumps, amazing spins, fast, flexible, charismatic and... those rosy cheeks of course! Crowd immediatly loved him. I wish him to do his best here this weekend and conquer the crowd again! Good luck, Mika!

I agree with you, performance wise it was better at CoR - there was no pressure as such unlike in Boston.
That was the first time I ever saw Mika and became a fan - hard to believe it was only 12 months ago-what an amazing eventful year it was!