Flashback - 1993 World Championships | Golden Skate

Flashback - 1993 World Championships

S

SkateFan4Life

Flashback - 1993 World Championships

The 1993 World Championships, held in Prague, featured the gamut of figure skating - some perfectly wonderful programs and some perfectly dreadful programs. The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat were evidenced in this championship.

<span style="text-decoration:underline"><strong>WOMEN:</strong></span>
Oksana Baiul of the Ukraine, who seemingly appeared out of nowhere to win the silver medal at the Europeans, shocked the skating world by winning the World title in her first-ever appearance at the World Championships! It was stunning. She skated a strong short program to be in second place heading into the long program, and then she completely charmed and captivated the judges and the audience with a long program chocked-fill of triples and innovative, artistic choregraphy. Oksana was a 15-year-old then, but she skated with the poise and maturity of a seasoned champion.

Nancy Kerrigan, who had recently won her first US title with a rather lackluster long program, came into the Worlds as the favorite, as she was the reigning Olympic bronze medalist and World silver medalist from the previous season. Kristi Yamaguchi had turned pro, Tonya Harding had been banned for life from USFSA-sanctioned competition, and Midori Ito had also retired from competition. Nancy seemed to be a champion in the waiting. It was not to be. Nancy suffered a complete and embarrassing meltdown in the long program. She singled her opening triple flip, and it went downhill from there - hands down on jumps, stumbles, and falls. She looked as though she wanted to flee from the rink when she finished her program, and when she received her cruel (but accurate) marks, she appeared to be in shock. She said, "I should have landed my jumps!" Kerrigan finished ninth in the long program, which dropped her to fifth place, out of the medals.

It was a bad competition for the American women. Lisa Ervin, the US silver medalist, finished a disappointing 13th, and US bronze medalist Tonia Kwiatkowski finished 16th in the qualifying group and did not qualify for the long program. In
1992, the US women finished 1, 2 and 6. In 1991, the US women had swept the medals. In 1993, they did not medal
(the first time that had happened since 1969). The poor showing of the US women meant that the United States would be able to send only two women to the 1994 Worlds.

Surya Bonaly of France won the first of three consecutive World silver medals. Her skating was reminisent of a jumping bean - up and down, up and down, with little connecting steps and precious little artistry.

Lu Chen of China won another World bronze medal.

<span style="text-decoration:underline"><strong>MEN:</strong></span>
Kurt Browning of Canada regained his World crown with an absolutely fantastic "Casablanca" long program. Attired in white waiter's jacket and black pants, he looked like Humprey Bogart on ice. In one sequence, he flicked the ashes from a held cigarette, and he played to the audience with his usual flair. It was a great program, and it was wonderful to see that his back was healed.

Elvis Stokjo, Kurt's Canadian teammate, won the World silver medal with two strong programs. Alexei Urmanov of Russia won the bronze medal.

The US men finished out of the medals, as the women had done. US champion Scott Davis finished sixth, and US silver medalist Mark Mitchell finished fourth. Mitchell, particularly, was in an excellent position to medal, but he made several mistakes in his long program.

<span style="text-decoration:underline"><strong>PAIRS:</strong></span>
Isabelle Brasseur and Lloyd Eisler of Canada won their first and only World title with two dynamic programs. Mandy Wotzel and Ingo Steuer of Germany won the silver, and Evgenia Eltsova and Andrey Bushkov of Russia won the bronze medal. The Canadians in the audience went wild with the victory in pairs (not to mention Kurt and Elvis 1-2 finish).

Jenni Meno and Todd Sand of the US finished fifth, and Calla Urbanski and Rocky Marval (the "Waitress and the Truck Driver") finished eighth.

<span style="text-decoration:underline"><strong>DANCE:</strong></span>
The Russians swept the medals, with Maia Usova and Alexander Zhulin of Russia winning gold, Oksana Grishuk and Evgeny Platov winning silver, and Anjelika Krylova and Vladimir Fedorov winning the bronze medal.

US champions Renee Roca and Gorsha Sur finished 11th, and silver medalists Susan Wynee and Russ Witherby finished fifteenth.

Overall, the 1993 Worlds were characterized by the stunning emergence of Oksana Baiul as the new World champion and by Kurt Browning's regaining of his World title.

It was a disappointing championship for the US team, who returned home without winning a single medal. The poor showing meant that the 1994 World team would be reduced in size.

:)

P

Piel

Re: Flashback - 1993 World Championships

Skatefan,

Tonya Harding wasn't banned until AFTER the attack on Nancy Kerrigan which didn't happen until 1994.

D

DORISPULASKI

Kurt's Casablanca program was truly wonderful! a really good memory of mine.

dpp

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:green;font-family:georgia;font-size:small;"><strong>I never realized that Nancy had ever actually won the U.S. title! Wow--I learn something new every day!</strong></span> :D

B

berthes ghost

What an unfortunate report! :(

I had been so enjoying all of theses "flashback" posts because they gave, sometimes detailed, information on pre-Tonya/Nancy skating. This post however, after boring us with shamlessly biased assessments of Oksana and Nancy, went on to give the most generic information that's available in any record book.:mad:

Take out such gems as "Lu Chen of China won another World bronze medal." and you might as well just retitle this thread "yet another tired old thread rehashing personal opinions about Oksana vs. Nancy vs. Tonya." :rolleyes:

Where's the beef!?!

T

tdnuva

<blockquote style="padding-left:0.5em; margin-left:0; margin-right:0; margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; border-left:solid 2">Kurt Browning of Canada regained his World crown with an absolutely fantastic "Casablanca" long program. Attired in white waiter's jacket and black pants, he looked like Humprey Bogart on ice. In one sequence, he flicked the ashes from a held cigarette, and he played to the audience with his usual flair. It was a great program, and it was wonderful to see that his back was healed.</blockquote>

What's about his back? (Perhaps someone in the other threads told it already, but I can't find anything...)

M

MSI83

Flashback

Lu Chen skated well only 1 mistake on a triple flip. She pulled up from 5th after the SP. I believe Nancy and Josee Chouinard of Canada both had meltdowns in these worlds.

Yuka Sato struggled a bit with her triple flip, and the lutz was still new to her. She placed a respectable 4th.

S

SkateFan4Life

I stand corrected concerning Tonya Harding's non-appearance at the 1993 Worlds. Duh - she did not qualify for the US World team that year. We all know that!

As for berthes ghost post, all I can say is, "Why aren't YOU taking the time to write these posts!" It is so easy to criticize someone else's efforts, but if you aren't willing to expend the effort to contribute - in a POSITIVE way - then I respectfully suggest that you keep your nasty opinions to yourself. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I stand by my opinions concerning Nancy Kerrigan's meltdown in Prague. It was very unfortunate. And I also stand by my opinions of Oksana. She was a charmer. I had seen the 1993 Europeans, in which she won the silver medal. My friends and I all had the same feeling - "This girl is going to be a champion someday". Oksana had the "look" and the feel skating star.
:)

B

berthes ghost

"Why aren't YOU taking the time to write these posts!"

Duh, I don't have anything pre-Lillehammer on tape. How can I give an informned opinion on something I've never seen. Or is that what you did for 93?;)

"It is so easy to criticize someone else's efforts, but if you aren't willing to expend the effort to contribute - in a POSITIVE way - then I respectfully suggest that you keep your nasty opinions to yourself"

If you'd used your own argument on yourself, you'd have deleted your origional post. :lol: Come back to us after you've skated in a world figure skating championship as the overwhelming favorite to win, and then you can criticize Nancy all you want.

C

Callystarr

<span style="color:red;"><em><strong>Umm 1993 World Championships...Tonya Harding didn't make because she had a meltdown in the SP @ Nationals..she was in 2nd after the SP, but she literally came out of her costume in the LP and fell to 4th..so Harding had not been banned quite yet.

Lu Chen I thought had the best LP of the night, she landed 6 triples, Surya Bonaly also skated well landing 7 triples...Oksana used the same LP as she did @ the olympics, skated well, but her jumps were not very secure....</strong></em></span>

S

SkateFan4Life

Yep, I admitted my goof concerning Tonya Harding -- she had not qualified for the 1993 US World Team, so she wasn't a factor in that competition.

I just viewed my videotape of the exhibitions skated after the 1993 Worlds. Oksana Bauil skated a Michael Jackson number, followed by "Swan Lake". At the age of 15, she had an incredible amount of musicality and creativity in her programs and choregraphy.

I

icenut84

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>What's about his back? (Perhaps someone in the other threads told it already, but I can't find anything...)[/quote]

I dont know any details but I think Kurt had been suffering from a back injury that kept him from competing at the 92 Olympics. (Is that right?)

N

Norlite1

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><strong>I dont know any details but I think Kurt had been suffering from a back injury that kept him from competing at the 92 Olympics. (Is that right?) </strong>[/quote]

He competed in Albertville, and came 6th.

He did have a back injury. I think he had a minor car accident a few months before, but I'm going by memory here, I could be wrong as to the cause.

S

SkateFan4Life

Kurt Browning was suffering from a nagging back injury during the 1992 Olympics, and it showed during his performances. Kurt fell on his triple axel in the short program, fell on the same jump in the long program, missed a few other triples, and basically seemed to concede the competition by the end of his long program. It was very sad to see this. Tracy Wilson asked Kurt what he was thinking right after he exited the ice after his long program, and Kurt said, "It's going to take a long time before I want to think of what happened tonight." Always a gracious sportsman, he had some nice words for Viktor Petrenko, afterwards, but the loss must have been devastating for Kurt. As the three-time World champion,
he would have naturally been the favorite for the Olympic gold medal, and it would have been the first for Canada.

S

SkateFan4Life

For the record - medalists at the 1993 Worlds:

Men:
Kurt Browning, Canada, gold
Elvis Stojko, Canada, silver
Alexei Urmanov, Russia, bronze

Women:
Oksana Baiul, Ukraine, gold
Surya Bonaly, France, silver
Lu Chen, China, bronze