ISU makes decision on 2015-16 GPF selection | Golden Skate

ISU makes decision on 2015-16 GPF selection

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ISU makes decision on 2015-16 GPF selections

On Nov 23, 2015, the ISU announced that according to Article 17, paragraph 1. r) of the ISU Constitution, the ISU Council unanimously agreed upon the following measures related to the Trophée Eric Bompard 2015 (hereafter “the event”):

More

Note: apologies for the original thread which I tried to edit and erroneously deleted.

1) ISU World Standing/Ranking Points and Prize Money

The results of the Short Programs / Short Dance of the event are considered as the final result and the World Standing Points, the Seasons World Ranking Points as well as the Prize Money are awarded based on the results of the Short Programs / Short Dance of the event.

2) Qualification Criteria ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final and Tie Breaking Criteria

The results of the Short Programs / Short Dance of the event are considered as the final results and the Grand Prix points are awarded based on the results of the Short Programs / Short Dance of the event.

As the Skaters who competed at the event were not able to achieve a combined Total Score and a Free Skating Score, the Tie Breaking Criteria, Point 4.3, b), d) and e) as per the General Announcement for the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating season 2015/16, are void and the Tie Breaking Criteria is revised as follows:

Ties:
If there is a tie by added points, the following criteria will be taken into consideration for tie-breaking:
a) the best place obtained in the two designated events will count for the better place/ranking;

If there is still a tie,
b) the higher total of the added scores in the Short Program/Short Dance obtained in the two designated events will count for the better place/ranking;

If there is still a tie,
c) participation in two events will be considered better than having participated in only one event;

If there is still a tie
d) the number of participants finishing the two individual events in which the tied Skaters/Couples have completed, will be added to the total. The higher number of participants will count for the better place/ranking.

If there is still a tie, all Skaters tied are qualified for the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final.

3) Exceptional Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final qualification criteria

As usual, the top 6 Skaters/Couples placed in the final Grand Prix of Figure Skating season 2015/16 ranking (after the last individual event of the 2015/16 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating series, the NHK Trophy) will qualify for the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final in Barcelona, while places 7 to 9 are the Substitute Skaters/Couples for the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final and need to stay on stand-by in case of a withdrawal of the top 6 ranked Competitors.

However, following the events as mentioned above and due to the fact that no Free Skating/Free Dance segments could be skated at the Grand Prix event in Bordeaux, any first Substitute Skater/Couple (placed 7th in the above-mentioned 2015/16 Grand Prix ranking) will be invited to join the qualified Skaters/Couples, provided that this/these Competitor(s) has/have skated the Short Program/Short Dance at the event in Bordeaux. Such additional Competitor(s) will be added to the qualified Competitors for the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final 2015/16 and the warm-up groups will be adjusted accordingly once the number of participating Competitors is confirmed.

The ISU will cover the costs for travel and full board on site for such an additional Competitor(s) possibly entered into the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final.

The usual procedure for the Substitute Skaters/Couples will remain unchanged.

The International Skating Union reiterates its deepest sympathies to the victims of the attacks in Paris.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
So Rika is beating Tuk in the tiebreaker...her SP scores are higher, meaning either they both make it (if Satoko is 4th or lower and Anna 3rd or lower at NHK) or else Liza is out :(. Satoko only needs bronze at NHK to pass ahead of Rika and Liza.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Well, to reiterate my comments on the thread that is now gone.

1. I think this is fair, and I have no problem with it.
2. While several skaters might theoretically be able to benefit from this, if things go 'as expected' at NHK it's actually very likely that no one will ultimately benefit and there will just be 6 entries per discipline after all.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
2. While several skaters might theoretically be able to benefit from this, if things go 'as expected' at NHK it's actually very likely that no one will ultimately benefit
No no no no no. Wait a minute, that can't be, cuz Daisuke Murakami must benefit from this. How did we go from "very likely to make the GPF" to "no one" in about 1.5 hours? I was busy being my merry self just now, making music, and in the meantime the world turned upside down? :dance2:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
What doesn't make sense to me is that it seems a skater who finished 7th can be added if they skated at TEB even if their placement at TEB (short program only) was much higher than their placement at their other competition. So skaters who actually benefitted from the cancellation can benefit again.

Otherwise, it seems that they aren't being very generous to the skaters who were disadvantaged by the TEB cancellation. Only one skater extra allowed, and none if the 7th place skater wasn't at TEB.

The good news is they finally made a decision, and that it is not too convoluted. If they'd waited until after NHK, there would have been a strong suspicion that they tailored the rules to fit the outcome they wanted.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
So the solution is if someone both finishes 7th in the GP standings and was a TEB competitor he gets to go? :rolleye:

Well, I guess at least we finally have SOME solution...

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I think dance might have seven

I'm thinking a situation where James\Cipres and Seguin\Bilodeau need a tie breaker over spot No. 7 is very likely,

In which S\B will make it due to having skated another competition, Right?

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
No no no no no. Wait a minute, that can't be, cuz Daisuke Murakami must benefit from this. How did we go from "very likely to make the GPF" to "no one" in about 1.5 hours? I was busy being my merry self just now, making music, and in the meantime the world turned upside down? :dance2:

Wouldn't he, worst case scenario, be the first substitute? Say it's Javier, Shoma, Yuzuru, Boyang, Maxim and Patrick. If the podium at NHK consists of Yuzuru, Boyang and Maxim in any order, they would all be above Patrick who has 22 points. Daisuke also has 22 if my math doesn't fail me. Patrick wins the tiebreaker because he won SC, so Dice is the first substitute. As he competed at TEB, he would get invited to the GPF. Or am I missing someone?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
not quite... the first rule for the tie breaker is placement at GP competitions. If J/C and S/B have the same total of points, 22, then J/C will edge S/B because they are placed 2nd at TEB and S/B best placement is 3rd.
I'm thinking a situation where James\Cipres and Seguin\Bilodeau need a tie breaker over spot No. 7 is very likely,

In which S\B will make it due to having skated another competition, Right?

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Or am I missing someone?
No, I'm pretty sure what you're saying is what was said in the previous thread, too. :biggrin: Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I can go back now to seeking out good luck charms and spells for Yuzuru, Boyang and Maxim. :hap93:

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
not quite... the first rule for the tie breaker is placement at GP competitions. If J/C and S/B have the same total of points, 22, then J/C will edge S/B because they are placed 2nd at TEB and S/B best placement is 3rd.

I find it hard to imagine Y\J only finishing 4th here so i guess that's how it'll go down.

Scimeca can be forth and still win a tie breaker over S\B as well, So not great chances for them...

senatormls

On the Ice
I agree and respect the decision. This is a dynamic sport and anything could have happened in the LP's. Just a learning lesson to all competitors; always sieze the day and give 110%, regardless!

Lunna

On the Ice
OK, FINALLY
I don't like the SP points as a tiebreaker, cuz it will have impact not only on TEB skaters but on everybody (especially ice dance I think), I would prefer best SP and best FS points as a tiebreaker.
It seems likely that we will have only 6 skaters in each discipline - good for ISU cuz they'll have to cover additional costs (so it seems that's why they will add a TEB skater only with 7th place not 7-8 place for example).

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
If Miyahara is off the podium and Pogorilaya is in 3rd then both Hongo and Tuktamysheva will go, Winning a tie breaker against Pogs.

If Miyahara is third or higher she goes to GPF and the rest stay at home