Will Skate America & the rest of GPs be televised at all????? | Golden Skate

Will Skate America & the rest of GPs be televised at all?????

sarahmistral

On the Ice
I need to know, because I'm considering a (pricey) trip to Pittsburgh to see Michelle, Sasha, Miki, and Yukina:love: (guess who I'll be rooting for? :p

However, much as I'd looove to see this all unfold live, and to witness the new programs for the season live, I probably won't be able to sneak away and spend all that money, particularly if it's going to be televised by ESPN or some other channel.

Please let me know if the GPs will be on TV at all next year; I know there's no more ABC coverage, but hopefully some station will carry it...

Thanks!

Cheers,
Sarah

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it'd be just my luck that, after moving to where I can finally have satelite, it wouldn't

but I was under the impression ESPN was still broadcasting skating?

astimegoesby

On the Ice
I seem to remember reading an article saying ESPN would broadcast next year's GP series, but I don't know where to find the link. :(

But the USFSA site says, "The 2004-05 schedule for ABC Sports will be released in the late summer and will be posted here," so hopefully that means the GP series will be shown on some U.S. channel next season.

I feel badly for American skating fans who can't get ESPN, though. I remember how disappointed I was last year when it looked like Skate Canada and Nationals were the only two events planned to be broadcast on Canadian TV. Hopefully a similar deal will eventually be worked out for U.S. GP event coverage (and skating coverage in general!)

skatingfan5

On the Ice
Skate America on ABC

sarahmistral said:
Please let me know if the GPs will be on TV at all next year; I know there's no more ABC coverage, but hopefully some station will carry it...
ABC will still be broadcasting Skate America (it is part of ABC's contract with the USFS, not with the ISU). If it goes as per usual, then they won't show the ladies SP, but will feature the ladies and men's FS, with some coverage of pairs and dance as well (ESPN used to cover the Men's SP as well as any of the pairs SP and the ODs that were featured -- usually not much at all). ESPN has the new ISU contract which includes the rest of the GP events (as well as Worlds, 4CC, and Euros). ABC still has U.S. Nationals and the "internationals" -- the stuff like Campbell's and the "International FS Challenge" -- the ISU-sanctioned semi-fluff events here in the U.S. (two in the fall and one in the spring).

astimegoesby

On the Ice
Thanks for posting those details, skatingfan5! It sounds like there will still be quite a bit of skating shown on U.S. TV after all...although I think it's ridiculous (and unfair to fans who can't get the channel) that Worlds is being moved on ESPN while those insignificant cheesefests are still on the main network. :rolleye:

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I think it's ridiculous (and unfair to fans who can't get the channel) that Worlds is being moved on ESPN while those insignificant cheesefests are still on the main network.
It's just apples and oranges as it's two different contracts. The ISU one with ABC was up this year, and wasn't renewed. The USFSA one with ABC is still going, but is up for renewal in just 2 years or something short like that, so it might not be long before NO skating is shown on ABC or other noncable networks. Let's just hope that ESPN picks it up. I can't imagine US nats not being shown somewhere, but assuming that the USFSA still does "cheesefest" in 2 years time, I'd pick them as the first to be dumped by ratings weary networks.

I really thought all of this was going to take place after the Olys but no matter. It would be nice if we could contact ESPN and see if they have yet laid out any plans.

I'd like to see Nancy take over the entire competition but I am not sure if she can handle Dance. I'm not sure anyone can handle Dance:laugh:

Terry can stay, he is to represent 'everyman', and he's learned a lot over the years.

Again, What aare the plans of ESPN???

Joe

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joesitz said:
I'd like to see Nancy take over the entire competition but I am not sure if she can handle Dance. I'm not sure anyone can handle Dance:laugh:Joe
Joe, Are you really serious???

Dee

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
As long as Terry Gannon stays as the "color commentator" I don't care who they put as the "experts" (ok I lied there are a few I can't stand but still... I love Terry's commentary!)

Dee - Yeah, I would not mind having Nancy be the commentator on ESPN events along with Terry Gannon. Unless, of course, Dick and Peggy are going along with ESPN. I suspect neither want to travel that much, so the GPs are open for a commentator.

I heard Nancy speak on one of the televised Jr Worlds. She did an admirable job. She only commented when there was enough room for a comment and did not voiceover any of the elements. She also did not seem to have any favorites. I think she's done her thing and what's left is her love for skating and when you have that, there is no nationality that you push - just good skating. She has also matured nicely and does not look so toothy as she did. And best of all, her voice has deepened witch is a MUST for any kind of RADio/TV Communications.

Nancy is not my favorite skater, I suggested her based on the above qualifications that I seek. I would not select a skater just because he'she won championships unless they knew how to speak and with a deep voice. That leaves out Hamilton, Boitano, and Yagudin and soooo mannny others!

I am not familiar with Canadian and Eurosport commentators. I am sure they are good if they are professional, but I doubt ESPN would hire a nonAmerican.

Now if you want to suggest a commentator for ESPN, please do but be sure you think in terms of how well that person can communicaate and not by his/her medals, or how cute he/she is. forget about anyone not American. :D

Cheers - Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
a deep voice

well so much for getting Joe's endorsement should I ever have the chance to become a "color commentator" ;) :laugh: ;)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Does anyone know why the ABC Skate America coverage ALWAYS leaves out the ladies' SP? I mean, I know it's in the contract, but why did anyone put it in the contract in the first place? It's not as if USFSA sold the rights to it elsewhere.

dpp

sarahmistral

On the Ice
begging to differ...

Terry Gannon-ugh. Maybe he represents 'everyman', if our 'everyman' cares only about US skaters' results and doesn't give a hoot about other, non-US skaters. That's the impression I get from him, year in, year out, and I think Peter Carruthers is a far better, accessible, friendly commentator who's fair, knowledgeable, has something good to say about EVERY skater (which helps the 'everyman' learn more about the world of skating and all the great skaters out there, not just the local favorites), and doesn't spend time harping on the flaws of this or that foreign skater compared to an American skater (or vice versa, for that matter--IMO, Peter's just fair all around, easy to follow, easy on the ears--yaaaaay Peter!:love: ). Just my two cents.

Cheers,
Sarah

euterpe

Medalist
As far as I am concerned, Terry should keep his comments to himself during the performance. He yaks entirely too much while the skating is happening, and he isn't even talking about the performance! I don't want to hear about skater A's injury or skater B's family problems while the skaters are on the ice performing. Most of what he says is stuff repeated from flull pieces shown at other times, anyway. There certainly can be ample time for that touchy-feely stuff either before or after the skater has performed. Most of what we see on TV is pre-recorded anyway, so Terry's remarks could be edited in where they don't interfere with the performances.

When the skaters are skating, if there HAS to be commentary, let it be restricted to how well or how poorly an element is skated, from a commentator who knows what he/she is talking about. Otherwise, just let us folks enjoy the performance.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
1. color commentators are supposed to give you the run down of injuries and whatnot... when and where in teh show they do that is normally up to the director

2. color commentators are given a guideline on what to say... ABC is a US network, he's going to seem biased because the network is biased.

1. If you are lucky and they get rid of Terry, then you must put up with his replacement who will be taking the same orders as he was. Funny, you don't see the network as culprit. :confused:

3. The alternative is to have your friends from Europe tape the competitions and send them to you by DSL. This may be a small expense, but you will see more skating, I presume, then the usual suspects. :D

Joe

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I have always read all of Joesitz's posts in my head with the voice of dick button as narrator. So on this thread dick is commenting on commentating, and its really funny... but only inside my head. Its a strange world in there. :)

Kasey

Medalist
Joe....

That's weird...I saw Nancy doing the commentating for this year's Jr. Worlds. Although I like her better as a commentator than as a person, I do think she was quite "US-centric" in comparing Griazev and Lysacek, and Brauninger vs. Preaubert (who, really did seem rather out of his league). I just find it interesting that you felt she showed no bias...I wonder if it is my general not caring for her that made me feel that! :)

Kasey

Longhornliz said:
I have always read all of Joesitz's posts in my head with the voice of dick button as narrator. So on this thread dick is commenting on commentating, and its really funny... but only inside my head. Its a strange world in there. :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Hi Longhornliz - Others read me as Dick, too, but I am not. I just see him as the Father of American if not World Figure Skating. He was the first in so many ways way back when Sonia Henie's axel was the most impressive trick in figure skating. :laugh: I think though I inflect like he does when he commentates. I chose his picture because I knew no one else would and he does representat the history of figure skating.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:

That's weird...I saw Nancy doing the commentating for this year's Jr. Worlds. Although I like her better as a commentator than as a person, I do think she was quite "US-centric" in comparing Griazev and Lysacek, and Brauninger vs. Preaubert (who, really did seem rather out of his league). I just find it interesting that you felt she showed no bias...I wonder if it is my general not caring for her that made me feel that!

Kasey

Kasey,Unfortunately, I didn't see this year's TV showing of Jrs. I was commenting on Nancy from last year. It's possible she was told to push American skaters by ABC (the own Lifetime) or like any viewer have her own taste in figure skating. If one is not a fan of American skaters, one will feel bias from an American commentator For American fans, one would say that she is praising too many non Americans. Then, as you say, you can only think of how much you have disliked her in the past. Oh, the subjectivity of it all!! :\
However, I still like her as a successor to Dick and Peggy if they do not go to ESPN. She knows what they are doing out there on the cold cold ice. She's been there, and don't forget she may not like certain American skaters which may or may not gripe you. Anyway it is just a suggestion to use Nancy.

Do you have a suggestion"? Someone who does not have a squeaky voice, who will be able to quietly whisper "that triple axel was first rate" so as not to disturbe the goings on., and who is American for obvious reasons. So far some posters do not see Nancy as a commeentator but none have suggested someone they believe would be better. Remember, medals don't make a good commentator, necesarily

Joe

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joe, I think that Nancy is better at commentating than she was at the beginning. The more you do it the better your skills become. Anyhow, do you or anyone else know why several of the skaters have done commentating. At the 2001 Goodwill Games, Brian B. was the commentator and I really didn't like his voice. At one of the Junior Worlds, Todd Eldredge was the commentator. As much as I like Todd, not a good voice at all. Too nasal. I am just was curious as to why these guys were commentating.

What about Susie Wynn (sp)? I know she does dance but I would think she would know about the others too. :confused:

One of the best female commentators I've heard is Debbie Wilkes from Canada. She does an excellent job IMHO. :) :)

Dee