transitioning from pc to mac | Golden Skate

transitioning from pc to mac

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I just got my brand new baby g4 ibook today!!! I have never owned a mac in my life and i cant figure out how to do anything... are any of you loyal goldenskaters mac people??? I could use some advice or support, I cant even configure my email. I want to load microsoft office for osx but i'm scared to.

I will assimilate, and then I will star in one of those "I switched" ads. :)

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
I love my Mac. I've had three, an iMac, a laptop and now an eMac. I am completely befuddled by windows, so I'm not sure how much help I would be to you.

I don't recall that configuring my email was that hard, you will just need to get the smtp address and one other thing from your provider, and then you just type them in. I think. (If *I* could configure it, then it just can't be that hard...:laugh: )

You can email me ([email protected]) if you want, or send me a PM. or post here. Whichever.

Laura :)

bronxgirl

Medalist
I wish I could go back to a Mac. I have to use a PC since that's what the computers at work use, but I learned to use a computer on a Mac, and I'm tired of having every version of Windows crash at some time on me. Bill Gates has enough money (though he is doing some good work through his foundation), but I still HATE WINDOWS!! :mad:

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
I'm still working on transitioning. I've worked with Windows for years. However, I have a friend who works in education (and is a Mac person, BTW). When I was ready to get a computer, he said I should get a Mac (and so did some other friends). I was able to use my friend's discount to get an iBook. I've had it since March.

I do have Excel and Word for Mac loaded on and have not had any problems. I have a Fuji digital camera and tried to load the software but it wouldn't take. It didn't matter since I had iPhoto and I have no problems loading and sharing my pictures. I was also able to load pictures from CDs I got when I had regular film developed and pictures that friends have e-mailed to me.

It still takes awhile to get used to not having a right click and going from right to left when saving items on the desktop, so there are things I'm still trying to figure out. I mainly use the laptop at home for e-mail, surfing, pictures, and music with iTunes. Overall, I'm pretty happy with my iBook G4.

If you want, you can PM me if you need help or advice. Good luck!!!

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Longhornliz

Final Flight
ok i have succesfully loaded office and configured my email... most of my issues are just learning how to perform tasks with the new os... i miss my right click option on the mouse.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Longhornliz:

A friend of mine still uses his Attari computer - Pre Mac. He still loves it and claims it is better than my EMachine (PC). I still like DOS, but am forced to use Windows, like the rest of the world. Oh, bother....have fun with the Mac.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
I started on Macs, moved to PCs, and now I use Macs at home and PCs at work. When we bought our Mac for home, it took me a day or so to get used to the new interface. I still double click needlessly! But I'm better now. Give yourself some time. Once you get used to it, it really is nice.

Did you buy a book? I bought one from David Pogue, the tech editor for the NY Times, that gave me a good grounding in Macs. I think it's called the Mac Bible, but don't remember the exact title.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
My ibook is like Hal from 2001

Ok so ichat has this really cool feature that allows you to voice chat in real time with other instant messenger users on ichat. But I didnt even realize that my laptop had a microphone in it, so when my ex boyfriend's voice randomly started coming out of my speakers I freaked out. I was all concerned that maybe he could see me, which i realize now is irrational.

It was pretty funny once he explained to me that the tiny pencil tip sized dot on the right side of my screen was actually a very sensitive microphone.

hrmsk8ngnut- I bought a wireless usb mouse and when i installed it, all the right click options started working... life is much easier now

PS- i'm live from starbucks!!!