My Dog | Golden Skate

My Dog

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
As of today I know have a dog living with me, my "sister" Abbey the Corgi. My Mother is selling her home and will be moving in with me. Since she was released from the hospital she has been staying here. Today she went to her home to pick up some of her things and came back with Abbey:eek: :eek: :eek: ! I have wanted a puppy specifically a Papilion for several years and have had no luck in finding one. Abbey, short for Abergale a town in Wales, is a very sweet dog with lots of personality and some very cute habits. Whenever she is outside and is called to come in she will lie down with her back toward you and remain that way until you get her leash, go to her and show it to her. She will then get up and follow you into the house. I have never had a pet before so this is new territory for me.

bronxgirl

Medalist
Welcome to the wonderful world of pets. Each is distinct and always memorable. I was the proud "mother" of "Bagel", a Shetland Sheepdog mix from puppyhood to the time she went to Puppy Heaven at age roughly 17 1/2 years. I'm now Harry K-B's "step mother" since I adopted him as a 10 year old rescue cat last year. He is truly a delight. When you get home after a day at work, the stereo wires just don't show the same degree of love as a pet. Enjoy!:)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Piel, have fun with your new friend. Pets can be so comforting. I have a dog and have recently acquired two red-earred slider turtles.......such personalities...........42

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Abbey usually sleeps beside Mother's bed and started out there tonight. A couple of hours ago she moved to the hallway off of the bedrooms. Now she is by my bed watching me type this. I wonder if it is the light and noise from the TV?

Suzy

On the Ice
My dog loves the outdoors. We have a large wooded area and it's unfenced. Sometimes I have to chase her indoors with a big stick I keep by the back door. It's quite a sight I'm sure for the neighbors to see me chase a huge Dobie around the yard with her teeth bared and growling at me but when I have to go somewhere and she refuses to come in, that's all I can do. :eek:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
It's the TV! She must find the noise comforting. I am discovering new things about Abbey each day. Today's surprise? She loves to be vacuumed. This is a good thing as she sheds constantly.:\

I hope you'll make lots of wonderful memories with your new friend, Abbey. Dogs can be very loyal, fun and comforting to have around.

JOHIO2

Medalist
I believe your mom must have taught her to be vac'd. If you get them used to grooming young they have no problem with it and actually look forward to that kind of one-on-one attention.

Piel, you are already in love, I can just tell. Abbey sounds wonderful. We had a constant run of pets when I was growing up and I've had a few as an adult. Unfortunately pets don't go well together with lots of business travel, which is a drag because there's nothing you'd love more coming home from an exhausting, dehumanizing business trip than to have a doggy or kitty meet you at the door and WUV you!

Having a new pet, in my experience, is sort of like having a new baby. You just love discovering all the new adorable things it does every day. Of course there will come the day the pet decides to use one of your favorite expensive shoes as a chew toy. But how can you not forgive when you find yourself shaking a finger saying, "Bad dog! Bad, bad doggy!" and seeing the look on its face as if it's about to cry, thinking, "I didn't know I was being bad. I'm sorry, Mom!"

This is great. I'm so happy Abbey has come into your life along with your mom.:)
Rgirl

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I'm glad to hear that you've entered the pet owners' club, Piel. I know you'll find it to be a very rewarding experience. I've never understood people that aren't just naturally drawn to animals...but everyone is different I suppose. Dogs have always been my favorite. They are (usually) such gentle and loyal creatures. I have a 4 year old Dobermann and she is such a joy to have.