Flashback - 1982 World Championships | Golden Skate

Flashback - 1982 World Championships

S

SkateFan4Life

Flashback - 1982 World Championships

My recollection of the 1982 World Championships, held in Copenhagen, Denmark, include the unlikely, come-from-behind
victory of Elaine Zayak of the United States. Zayak was in seventh place after the school figures and the long program, and it seemed unlikely that she would be able to medal in that competition. She had fallen in the short program at Worlds, and having fallen several times at Nationals (where she lost her title and wound up in third place), she was a bit
"spooked" concerning her ability to land her jumps. Elaine had a long talk with one of her coaches on this subject, and that enabled her to regain some of her confidence.

Zayak went out and landed a six-triple jump long program that completely blew away the competition. None of the women came close to matching her, jump for jump. She won the long program and won the World title. It was amazing.

The ISU, however, wasn't quite as thrilled, as it saw this as the dawning of a "jumping bean" syndrome for the women in which the women would focus primarily on landing triples and ignore or at least place less emphasis on artistry and presentation. The ISU institute the ruling that became known as the <strong><span style="text-decoration:underline">"Zayak Rule"</span></strong> - a triple jump could be repeated in the long program only once, and if a triple jump was performed twice, one of those times it had to be landed in combination. This ruling took away much of Zayak's competitive edge, as she consistenly landed three or four triple toes and two triple salchows in her long programs.

Katarina Witt of East Germany skated to the soundtrack from the movie "Superman" and won the silver medal. Peggy Fleming, commentating, remarked that Katarina was "such a pretty girl. She's just adorable on the ice". This was Katarina's first World medal.

Scott Hamilton won his second World title. The really interesting skater in the men's field that year, in my opinion, was Norbert Schramm of West Germany. Norbert struck some very unusual positions in his spins and jumps, and, well, some people thought his style was quite bizarre. The judges liked his skating, though, and he won the silver medal. Canadian Brian Pockar won the bronze medal.

In the exhibition, Norbert skated over to the King and Queen of Denmark and said hello to them. Dick Button asked Norbert what he had said to the royal couple. Norbert said, "I just said hello to them". When asked what the King and Queen said in response, Norbert said, "They said hello to me".

M

MSI83

Kat Witt

I think we're all used to seeing Katarina as the "artistic" skater, but in her earlier days she was more of a jumper. I know she landed a triple flip several times, did she try it here?

T

tdnuva

Re: Flashback - 1982 World Championships

In the ice dance this could be called the break-through of one-music programs and also story-telling in contrast to the many-cuts-programs (mostly purely to dance rhythms) before: Torvill & Dean's "Mack and Mabel".

S

SkateFan4Life

Re: Kat Witt

I'm not sure whether Katarina Witt attempted a triple flip at the 1982 Worlds - I think she did - but I wouldn't bet the ranch on it. She skated her long program to cuts from the soundtrack of "Superman". At that age - 16 - she was more of a jumper than an artist - and she attacked her jumps. There was a lot of developing artistry, but it had not matured at that point.

Kat was about the same height as Elaine Zayak in 1982, but she was several inches taller by the 1984 Olympics.

S

SkateFan4Life

Yes, Torvill and Dean were clearly establishing themselves as
THE dance team on the world scene with their imaginative performances at the 1982 Worlds. I loved their "Mack and Mabel" routine, which portrayed the story as well as showcased their skating skills.

M

MSI83

Kat Witt

I prefer the early 80's Kat to the latter one. In 1986-1988 I thought she was surpassed by Manley, Chin, Thomas, and Ito. She was very good as a pro though, and I thought she maintained herself very well over the years.

Rosalynn Sumners also competed here. Interesting how she shot up the standings to 1st, the next year at worlds.

S

SkateFan4Life

Re: Kat Witt

Katarina Witt wasn't the most gifted skater in her era - from 1982 through 1988 - but she was one of the strongest, toughest competitors out there. She had the ability to go out there and perform when it counted the most.

Kat clearly dominated the Worlds in 1984, 1985, and 1987. In 1986, she fell on her combination jump, and that enabled Debi Thomas of the US to win the title, despite the fact that Kat won the long program. In the 1988 Worlds, Kat skated a very sub-par performance, with only two triples -- but Liz Manley had made mistakes in her short program, and Debi Thomas blew her long program, so Kat again won the title.

Katarina's bombshell looks and figure certainly didn't hurt her either, in the eyes of the judges. After she returned home to East Germany after winning the 1984 Olympic gold medal, she was bombarded with sacks of fan/love letters, many of which were from young American men.

She also was good at psyching out the competition - skating to her competitors' music during practice sessions - intentionally getting in the way (not pushing or contacting, but just skating close), and "giving the eye" to the other women. It was intimidating to many of them.

S

SkateFan4Life

For the record - medalists at the 1982 Worlds:

Men:
Scott Hamilton, USA, gold
Norbert Schramm, Germany, silver
Brian Pockar, Canada, bronze

Women:
Elaine Zayak, USA, gold
Katarina Witt, East Germany, silver
Claudia Kristofics-Binder, Austria, bronze