Skaters Who Have Won All Grand Prix Events | Golden Skate

Skaters Who Have Won All Grand Prix Events

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
I know Kavaguti/Smirnov and Mao Asada have won every Grand Prix, I was wondering what other skaters/teams had also?

tulosai

Record Breaker
Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy. That's it off the top of my head but I'll let you know if I discover more.

mrrice

Record Breaker
In the same season? Didn't Michelle Kwan win all of them in the fall of 05 before winning Worlds in 06?

LRK

Record Breaker
In the same season? Didn't Michelle Kwan win all of them in the fall of 05 before winning Worlds in 06?

The complete set - all six. Since skaters are assigned only to two, it would be hard to do in one season.:)

You meant 1995-96, right?

Michelle did not compete on the GP circuit in 2003-2005. Here last GP event was 2002 Skate America (the 2002-2003 season).

In modern times each skater can participate in only 2 of the 6 Grand Prix events, so no one could win the all in a single season. In the fall of 1995 Michelle won Skate America, Skate Canada, Nations Cup (the German event -- it was later replaced by Cup of China) and the Final. This was when the GP was called the "Championship Series" (there were some trademark issues to sort out to be allowed the use of the name "Gran Prix"). She did not enter NHK or the French event. (There was no up of Russia back then.)

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
2005? No, Michelle did not compete on the GP circuit in 2003-2005. Here last GP event was 2002 Skate America (the 2002-2003 season).

In modern times each skater can participate in only 2 of the 6 Grand Prix events, so no one could win the all in a single season. In the fall of 1995 Michelle won Skate America, Skate Canada, Nations Cup (the German event -- it was later replaced by Cup of China) and the Final. This was when the GP was called the "Championship Series" (there were some trademark issues to sort out to be allowed the use of the name "Gran Prix")

I was definitely talking about 1995/96 her first World Championship season. I think I'm confused by the question. It's obviously not possible to win all events in a single so, I don't think I understand the question. Do you mean in their career?

LRK

Record Breaker
I was definitely talking about 1995/96 her first World Championship season. I think I'm confused by the question. It's obviously not possible to win all events in a single so, I don't think I understand the question. Do you mean in their career?

Yes.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Hasn't Tatiana Malinina won a of lot GP events? I know she won the GPF the year that I wanted Maria B. to win in 1998/99.

PS. I just looked it up. :) Shen and Zhou won NHK 5 times, Cup, of China 4 times, Bofrost Cup 2 times, Skate Canada 2 times, Eric Bompard 1 time, Skate America 1 time (in 2009 -- their last chance :) ) -- and the Grand Prix Final 6 times. :yahoo:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Shen and Zhou were at Worlds in 2001 and they were really good. They had a weird slip at the end of their LP but they really were fast and exciting. They were BOTH big jumpers. Much bigger than David and Jamie.

However, there weren't nearly as strong from a component stand point. Jamie is one of the best performers I've ever seen and David is, well. Gorgeous!!!

Shen and Zhou were at Worlds in 2001 and they were really good. They had a weird slip at the end of their LP but they really were fast and exciting. They were BOTH big jumpers. Much bigger than David and Jamie.

However, there weren't nearly as strong from a component stand point. Jamie is one of the best performers I've ever seen and David is, well. Gorgeous!!!

You owe it to yourself to check out, if you missed it, Shen & Zhou's LP at 2003 Worlds (Turandot), if you want to gauge their second mark improvement during those years. Not a dry eye in the house. :yes:

This is fun. Irina Slutskaya won Skate Canada (twice), Cup of China (twice), the German GP event (once), Cup of Russia (7 times), and the GP Final (4 times). For some reason she never competed in the French event except once in 1995 (4th).

And of course she was never invited to Skate America after 1995 because the USFSA didn’t want to risk anyone clipping Michelle’s feathers. (Bad for TV ratings. :laugh: )

mrrice

Record Breaker
You owe it to yourself to check out, if you missed it, Shen & Zhou's LP at 2003 Worlds (Turandot), if you want to gauge their second mark improvement during those years. Not a dry eye in the house. :yes:

I will definitely check them out. Thanks Mathman.:agree:

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker

Wow, I loved that skate. Gives me chills every time I watch it.