Figure skater emerges as ‘Male Kim Yu-na’ | Golden Skate

Figure skater emerges as ‘Male Kim Yu-na’

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I'm confused. Is he officially COACHED by Orser, or did he just briefly attend Orser's training camp.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
I've actually heard a bit about Cha Joon-hwan before. Glad Korea is producing amazing skaters for the future, especially with 2018 olympics being in Pyeongchang. (He's old enough to qualify, right?) Hopefully the KSU can provide more funding for figure skating because there are lots of good young skaters that can have great potential. I'm still a bit skeptical about "The New Yuna Kim!" title being thrown around with young skaters, but the future in Korean skating looks bright!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, for heaven's bloody sake.

NO-ONE IS THE "NEXT KIM YU-NA OR MALE KIM YU-NA". They are THEMSELVES. She is the ONLY Kim Yu-na!

Just let them be themselves!

mrrice

Record Breaker
Oh, for heaven's bloody sake.

NO-ONE IS THE "NEXT KIM YU-NA OR MALE KIM YU-NA". They are THEMSELVES. She is the ONLY Kim Yu-na!

Just let them be themselves!

I agree 100%. What is going to happen the first time this poor kid doesn't skate well. I hope his coach is doing everything possible to shield him from these unrealistic expectations. Why not aim higher than Yuna and chase after Katarina Witt.....I hate articles like these. I'm sorry if I sound harsh but this happens in every sport and I can't believe people haven't learned by now.

Remember that little film they made with all the Canadian Male World Champions right before the Olympics. Patrick said that it was "Time for a Canadian Man to step up and win Canada's first OGM........I knew in my Heart that it wouldn't turn out well, and it didn't........I felt the same way about poor Jeremy Abbott in 2010. Thank goodness for Evan L.

Here's the clip with Patrick and the rest of the Canadian Male World Champions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYmBMIX0PcU

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I agree 100%. What is going to happen the first time this poor kid doesn't skate well. I hope his coach is doing everything possible to shield him from these unrealistic expectations. Why not aim higher than Yuna and chase after Katarina Witt.....I hate articles like these. I'm sorry if I sound harsh but this happens in every sport and I can't believe people haven't learned by now.

Remember that little film they made with all the Canadian Male World Champions right before the Olympics. Patrick said that it was "Time for a Canadian Man to step up and win Canada's first OGM........I knew in my Heart that it wouldn't turn out well, and it didn't........I felt the same way about poor Jeremy Abbott in 2010. Thank goodness for Evan L.

It's best that he is the FIRST Cha Jun Hwan. Besides, Yuna Kim is a very common name and there are already several Yunas skating in Japan and probably even more in Korea.
I liked what I've seen of Cha so far. But I'm always wary of investing too much in Junior skaters so early. They tend to break hearts. -emotional investment I mean...give them funds! Give them training! Invest in Juniors!

Last edited:
In this case, though, I can forgive the author of the article. Any piece that has Yuna Kim in the title is going to be read. :)

MIM

Medalist
I've actually heard a bit about Cha Joon-hwan before. Glad Korea is producing amazing skaters for the future, especially with 2018 olympics being in Pyeongchang. (He's old enough to qualify, right?) Hopefully the KSU can provide more funding for figure skating because there are lots of good young skaters that can have great potential. I'm still a bit skeptical about "The New Yuna Kim!" title being thrown around with young skaters, but the future in Korean skating looks bright!

I will be really disappointed if there is any imposing meaning in order to burden these young skaters :noshake:
But, my understanding on "The Next Yuna Kim" is just "the next great figure skater from Korea." Since Yuna Kim was the first and only established figure skater Korea had for a while, her name became a common noun in Korea, IMO. Also, the readers would be more connected to the topic with her name in the title. But, there is no mention of Yuna in the article.

MiRé

Match Penalty
Cha's FS from Skate Korea that got him 1st place with a combined score of 220.40 :)otopic:HUGE thanks to Hailey Shin for updating this on National's thread)

I think Cha has the potential, but his TES is a bit weak imho... BUT I HAVE FAITH

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
I will be really disappointed if there is any imposing meaning in order to burden these young skaters :noshake:
But, my understanding on "The Next Yuna Kim" is just "the next great figure skater from Korea." Since Yuna Kim was the first and only established figure skater Korea had for a while, her name became a common noun in Korea, IMO. Also, the readers would be more connected to the topic with her name in the title. But, there is no mention of Yuna in the article.

I agree, I think Korea is very excited to have talented young skaters to follow in the footsteps of Yuna :) As long as there's no unnecessary pressure on these skaters at such a young age. I think these skaters can learn a lot from Yuna, especially her wonderful jumps and amazing consistency.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Cha's FS from Skate Korea that got him 1st place with a combined score of 220.40 :)otopic:HUGE thanks to Hailey Shin for updating this on National's thread)

I think Cha has the potential, but his TES is a bit weak imho... BUT I HAVE FAITH
Thanks for posting the video. Very impressive skater. 14 years old? :eek: He looks very mature. I wouldn't worry about the TES, he's only 14 after all and already does the 3A in competition. And I want to add: Yuna didn't look this refined when she was 14.

skaterr

On the Ice
Thanks for posting the video. Very impressive skater. 14 years old? :eek: He looks very mature. I wouldn't worry about the TES, he's only 14 after all and already does the 3A in competition. And I want to add: Yuna didn't look this refined when she was 14.

Do you think Yuna wasn't that refined when she was 14?
She was a silver medalist at 2005 Jr Worlds. She was 14 then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOndD839DJg

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We already have the male version of Yuna. His name is Yuzuru Hanyu. :2thumbs:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Do you think Yuna wasn't that refined when she was 14?
She was a silver medalist at 2005 Jr Worlds. She was 14 then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOndD839DJg
Yes, that's what I wrote and I won't change my mind. I know this performance from Yuna. She was a very good skater at 14, I would never deny that. I just wanted to point out that this "Male Kim Yu-Na" has qualities that the 14-year old Yu-Na Kim didn't have and that's impressive.
Just look at his upper body movement! So fluid and his spins, musicality and interpretation, everything is already there. And very good skating skills. I really could watch him skate all day.

skaterr

On the Ice
Yes, that's what I wrote and I won't change my mind. I know this performance from Yuna. She was a very good skater at 14, I would never deny that. I just wanted to point out that this "Male Kim Yu-Na" has qualities that the 14-year old Yu-Na Kim didn't have and that's impressive.
Just look at his upper body movement! So fluid and his spins, musicality and interpretation, everything is already there. And very good skating skills. I really could watch him skate all day.

Using Yuna Kim as a medium to draw attention from the public
and then undervalue Yuna. haha
You know the exact mechanism of korean media doing the exact same thing to her.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
We already have the male version of Yuna. His name is Yuzuru Hanyu. :2thumbs:

No disrespect to Kim Yuna or any other amazing lady skater, but I imagine no male skater wants to be called a male version of a female skater! :laugh:

skaterr

On the Ice
No disrespect to Kim Yuna or any other amazing lady skater, but I imagine no male skater wants to be called a male version of a female skater! :laugh:

I totally agree with You. Leave Yuna alone please.
galaxy SM(former IB sports) agency quite well known for bad promotion. They should stop this madness indeed.

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Using Yuna Kim as a medium to draw attention from the public
and then undervalue Yuna. haha
You know the exact mechanism of korean media doing the exact same thing to her.
I was refering to the title of this thread, because I'm impressed by him. If Yuna Kim's name is in the thread title I feel free to refer to her.
I don't undervalue Yuna when I write that a 14 year old skater without any international results is better than her at that age. I'm sure you agree with me when I write that Yuna was a better skater at 18 than she was at 14. And what has the Korean media to do with my opinion? I'm not sure what you're up to, but I'll leave it at that. But I hope you have already watched his performance, because it's delightful. Don't miss it just because I wrote something that doesn't agree with you. :hap57:

mrrice

Record Breaker

I swear to you I came here to say those very words. I hope he has really nice classmates or I can imagine the teasing he's going to get......These reporters are idiots. Maybe they have could have something like...Taking inspiration from Yuna Kim, *** continues to work hard. Did you notice that I didn't his name? I have absolutely no idea what it is?? Sad....

Last edited: