Unattractive Choreography | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Unattractive Choreography

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think a skater would fall over if they tried to hold that position only on the toepicks. Certainly they would not be able to glide on the toes.

Skates are not ballet shoes, and are not bare feet either. They have different mechanics.

Hah, maybe not as en pointe as that position, but ballet movements en pointe have been done by Ashley in her Black Swan footwork. ;) And Baiul. :love:

senatormls

On the Ice
On the subject of 'ugly choreography' anything that Polina Edmunds does is just that. I'm ready for the 'hate' feedback but she skates like a novice. All these fairy programs and those arms and no extensions on her jump landings.. don't get me started!

Jombi

On the Ice
I think Radionova's programs are an example of not good choreography, as they're extremely bland and generic in that regard. Try to watch her Titanic LP muted with her LP music from last year as a background and then do the reverse thing: the program and the music are totally interchangable.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Hah, maybe not as en pointe as that position, but ballet movements en pointe have been done by Ashley in her Black Swan footwork. ;) And Baiul. :love:

And Sonja Henie.

Bourres, or pique turns, or maybe brief balances on two feet (4th or 5th position) are possible, or even briefer "balances" that move up to the toe and right back down again in an attitude or arabesque position. But the skater can't balance like that for long and can't glide like that.

Last edited:

desertskates

Medalist
We all know it, we all hate it (for the most part), so let's do away with the butt spin. No spin is attractive when the bum cheeks are the highest part of the skater's body.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Last edited:
We all know it, we all hate it (for the most part), so let's do away with the butt spin. No spin is attractive when the bum cheeks are the highest part of the skater's body.

The key to this spin is, you have to have a skinny, bony behind. Emmanuel Sandhu and Nobunari Oda were two skaters who could actually pull it off, IMHO. :)

I believe it is also called the A-spin. I think this is because your body forms the shape of a capital letter A. Right?

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I don't think Boyang's FS is completely terrible. He could have better programs, yes, but I really watched him at GPF and (for me) there are some nice moments where he's really trying and I think that has to count some.

As for the A-frame butt spin, it's mostly not good. Yuzu's in his 2012 LP was terrible (holding it for something like 10 revolutions) but it looks fine in his CCoSp in his Chopin SP. Radionova does it as well and it is absolutely...not good.

Last edited:

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I think I'm the only one complaining, but man, I hate ilusion entry into layback spin! The entry itself is not so bad when done well but what sickens me is that EVERYONE does it! Elena does, Liza does, Ashley does, Mirai does (why you, you have perfect layback!) and even the great Mao! This is not even a creative entry!

mrrice

Record Breaker
Mathman said,

Frankly, it looks inelegant when ballet dancers do it, too.

http://balletinyou.com/images/basic/grandplie2.jpg

Fortunately dancers don't take many photo's in that position as it's not only inelegant.....It hurts like He*l to hold. Gracie is only in that position for 1 count and she does it very musically. I would been praising the crap of that move. By the way, Don't say that on tape like I did. It will come back to haunt you.;)

Last edited:

desertskates

Medalist
The key to this spin is, you have to have a skinny, bony behind. Emmanuel Sandhu and Nobunari Oda were two skaters who could actually pull it off, IMHO. :)

I believe it is also called the A-spin. I think this is because your body forms the shape of a capital letter A. Right?

I do agree about Sandhu, that guy had a way of making everything look good. I've heard A spin a lot, but why deny a person the chance to use the word "butt" in an otherwise intelligent conversation? :laugh:

Icey

Record Breaker
Lori's choreography here is too literal. Patrick Commentates Skating has an analysis of all that is wrong with "Firebird."

It's not necessarily ugly choreography, but as much as I love Yuzu's skating, whenever he does his Biellmann, I cringe b/c it looks so awkward. I mean kudos to him for doing it b/c most men can't but it's not pleasing to the eye.

Egg laying move LMAO

Icey

Record Breaker
Tenley Albright used to do a similar move, which Dick Button called the frog position. Michelle used it in her Red Violin LP.