Starting skating classes | Golden Skate

Starting skating classes

FS_rrb

On the Ice
For some months I've been thinking about starting skating classes, just some basic moves, nothing too complex for the moment. I'm already 25 and just wanted to do it for fun, nothing serious. I live in Barcelona and of course skating is not very big here...probably the FC Barcelona school is the most famous in the city.

I would like you to share some experiences regarding the time you started skating: how did you start? At what age? Was it difficult? Do you think are there any problems for adults starting skating classes?

Also, it would be great if you could give me some advice!

I don't even know if I'll finally start with my classes, but the idea is in my head ;-)

Thankss!!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'd say - GO FOR IT!

I was a little younger than you are now, but I didn't find it hard at all at first. I'm a very clumsy person, but at first, I went to rink and just did laps, practicing skating properly, working on feeling my feet underneath me. I had privates from the outset because my rink didn't do groups a suitable time for me, and it was wonderful. One half-hour lesson a week, and soon I was working on crossovers forwards and backwards and three turns and mohawks and one-foot spins and waltz jumps and...

The only warning I'd give is not to get lulled into a false sense of security with your progress. I passed the first six Aussie Skate levels in three months, and that was only because we could only test once a month and we were only allowed two tests per session. I passed the first Free Skate level in month four. And then everything came a screeching, crashing halt because it started getting a lot harder. Stupid change of edge. I think it was another three months before I passed the second Free Skate level, and another six months or more after that before I managed the third (stupid backspin).

I think in some ways adults have certain advantages. First, we're full grown. No surprise growth spurts or centre of gravity changes for us. It also means we can get longer out of a pair of skates! And as well as that, I think adults have a tendency to grasp the explanations quicker, or come up with different ways to think about what needs to be done, that little kids don't have. That said, adults do have plenty of disadvantages - one of the most obvious when I was testing Aussie Skate was that certain elements had to be held for "three bodylengths". Obviously, being quite tall, I had to hold it for longer than the little kids. Plus, we KNOW that falling will hurt and possibly cause injury. It's not fun to know that, and I've probably twisted and pulled more things trying NOT to fall than by actually falling.

Adult skating here is actually growing, I think. I see more adults at the rink now than when I started, for sure.

petitebrie

On the Ice
I agree with karne – if you already feel like this is something you want to do, go for it! Go to some public sessions at first, see if you can put your feet under you and then look around for group sessions or private lessons.

I started when I was 26. People learn at different paces and in different ways, so don’t feel discouraged if you feel like you’re progressing slowly. Obviously you always want to learn something new and the learning process can be challenging at times (and all the more satisfying is the feeling when you finally nail it). Basic moves like three-turns, crossovers, spirals, waltz jumps and simple upright spins come quickly for most people our age, imo.

ETA: Another thing: don’t be too afraid of falling over! Practice dropping down on the ice to get used to the feeling and learn to relax your body when you fall. If you tense up too much or try to catch yourself with your hands you’ll fall harder and risk getting injuries, especially as adults generally are larger, taller, and our bodies are less supple compared to kids.

Last edited:

EnjoyTheGlide

Spectator
I started figure skating lessons for the first time when I was a small child but I literally quit after the first day because I kept falling and had a hard time getting up. I'm 21 now and I've been skating on and off since I was 15. Though I was inspired by seeing clips of Kim Yuna and Mao Asada on YouTube, I knew that at the age I was at, there would be practically no chance of me becoming a competitive skater, but that wasn't the point. I just wanted to have fun and learn to become better at both skating and with self-discipline.

Since I started (again) at age 15, I was still considered a minor and thus was put into group lessons learning the USFSA Basic Skills 1-8 with kids younger than I. I didn't find it to be too difficult because as karne said, one of the advantages of skating when you're an adolescent or older is that you're able to focus on the tasks better than most kids. I flew through the Basic Skills program in about a year, even skipping a level along the way, but my technique was still unrefined, and I think that was because I developed a mental block out of fear of falling. I think that the mental block is one of the biggest drawbacks of starting skating when you're older, since we don't bounce back as easily as kids. It wasn't until I started my waltz jump that I realized how much the fear mental block impeded my progress. I was afraid of tripping over my toe pick and breaking an ankle or something and so I divided up the waltz jump into smaller and slower parts in order to reduce my risk of injury. At one point, I realized that not committing myself 100% into it was what was holding me back from executing it. Like, if you don't put in enough momentum at the start, how will it be able to carry you through? I consciously made the decision to not let the fear hold me back and gradually sped up and connected the parts. Eventually, I was able to do a little waltz jump (waltz hop?). After I recognized the mental block, I revisited the old skills I was taught and worked to smooth everything out. It's not "perfect" now, but it definitely feels a lot better than when I first started out.

As far as advice go, when you start skating, (1) chin up and don't look down at your feet, (2) learn how to stop well and get up if you fall, (3) keep your knees bent, and (4) turning and stability starts the head and shoulders. Anyways, cheers and I really hope you do decide to start lessons. Keep us updated! :)

^ EnjoyTheGlide, give you a big thumbsup for your cool username. :rock:

Post often, post long!

sillyant

Rinkside
I am nearly 29 and I just started 3 months ago. One of my classmate is in her late 60s. She started last year. I agree with karne that we as an adult have quite a few advantage. For starters, we are much more mature. I would not have the patience to practice off-ice to improve my core muscles or flexibility if I learnt at 3yo.

If you love the sport, go for it! It's never too late!

P.S.
OMG! You are at Barcelorna? Did you watch the ISU Grand Prix Barcelona Final 2015?

yuzushenko

On the Ice
i started at 18

what i love most about skating is practicing
it's like you're in your own little world and you focus on improving the skills at hand
it's so relaxing, i think it's great for the mind and it helps you think differently than what we're used to, since on ice there is very little friction

FS_rrb

On the Ice
Thank you all for your answers! It's great to hear your experiences and advice. I'm sure that the fear of falling will be my major problem at the beginning. It's not like with kids...with adults falls can be much harder. However, I'm just planning to learn the basic skills for the time being...not getting to the level of learning jumps and all this stuff, so I guess that falls won't be that hard. I suppose that you need quite a high level until you start jumping, don't you?

FS_rrb

On the Ice
OMG! You are at Barcelorna? Did you watch the ISU Grand Prix Barcelona Final 2015?

Yes!!! This year and last year too! Simply amazing, both times, but especially this season. The men's final was something out of this world and I will remember it for the rest of my life!

gkelly

Record Breaker
I'm just planning to learn the basic skills for the time being...not getting to the level of learning jumps and all this stuff, so I guess that falls won't be that hard. I suppose that you need quite a high level until you start jumping, don't you?

Depends what you mean by "quite a high level" and what level of jumping you're talking about.

Here's one example of an adult at a skill level with beginning jumps.

Whether it would take you months or years to reach a similar level yourself depends on a lot of different factors.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've only just started skating and I'm 24. I love it and I'm progressing pretty fast (right now haha... I'm sure I'll slow down soon), although my extensive dance background helps a lot. I've passed the USFSA Basic Skills 1-2 with two months of proper lessons (once a week), so that's encouraging. Go for it; the way I think of it is no matter where I end up with it, at least it's exercise that I love!

Edited to add: I think one of the greatest strengths of learning as an adult is the ability to focus longer, as well as being able to know your own body and figure things out for yourself. I've learned way quicker than the little kids in my group (I'm the only adult in the club) just because I know how my muscles work and I have the patience to focus on skating for much longer than they do. I fall harder, but I don't fall as often, so that's something, right? :laugh:

Last edited:

ElenaClaire

On the Ice
I hope you'd go for it! And I think a lot of people here have been giving great suggestions. I've actually been planning to go take lessons as well but let's see how things go next year. :agree2:

I have a question.. do you guys (anyone) think that to do skating it requires good balance or that it's something you can acquire/develop by skating? I mean I've skated before (just recreational) but I'm the person who'll get dizzy doing turns and that's always in the back of my mind, whether I'll actually be able to handle skating or not. I hope that makes sense.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I have a question.. do you guys (anyone) think that to do skating it requires good balance or that it's something you can acquire/develop by skating? I mean I've skated before (just recreational) but I'm the person who'll get dizzy doing turns and that's always in the back of my mind, whether I'll actually be able to handle skating or not. I hope that makes sense.

:laugh2:

Sorry, but the in-joke between me and my coach is, "Balance? What is this balance of which you speak?"

It actually drove my off-ice coach batty because he completely couldn't understand how I could skate just fine but ask me to balance and I'd topple over. I don't blame him. I don't understand it either!

As for the dizzy, after a while, your brain sort of adjusts. I say sort of because if you take a break from spinning for whatever reason, your brain hits the reset button. At least mine does.

ElenaClaire

On the Ice
:laugh2:

Sorry, but the in-joke between me and my coach is, "Balance? What is this balance of which you speak?"

It actually drove my off-ice coach batty because he completely couldn't understand how I could skate just fine but ask me to balance and I'd topple over. I don't blame him. I don't understand it either!

As for the dizzy, after a while, your brain sort of adjusts. I say sort of because if you take a break from spinning for whatever reason, your brain hits the reset button. At least mine does.

:laugh:
Well that's... interesting. I don't think I'm particularly bad at balancing, it's just the dizziness I'm most worried about. Obviously that goes with the centering of our gravity (or whatever the term is). But yea I've watched a kind of documentary and read some articles about it, how your brain and sense will eventually adjust bla bla bla.

I guess it doesn't hurt to try first and see what happens. I've been wanting to do it and I think next year I'd finally get a chance to fulfill it so I'm pretty excited about it. Thanks for answering!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I guess it doesn't hurt to try first and see what happens. I've been wanting to do it and I think next year I'd finally get a chance to fulfill it so I'm pretty excited about it. Thanks for answering!

Go for it! It's wonderful! :love:

petitebrie

On the Ice
:laugh:
Well that's... interesting. I don't think I'm particularly bad at balancing, it's just the dizziness I'm most worried about. Obviously that goes with the centering of our gravity (or whatever the term is). But yea I've watched a kind of documentary and read some articles about it, how your brain and sense will eventually adjust bla bla bla.

You get used to the spinning motion after a while! It really helps to activate your core, stand up straight and keep your eyes fixed forward – that is, do not look down or let your body go limp and off axis. When I get too dizzy I just do some crossovers in the opposite direction to ‘reset’ my inner ear, lol.

ElenaClaire

On the Ice
You get used to the spinning motion after a while! It really helps to activate your core, stand up straight and keep your eyes fixed forward – that is, do not look down or let your body go limp and off axis. When I get too dizzy I just do some crossovers in the opposite direction to ‘reset’ my inner ear, lol.

Alright I'll make sure to remember that. Thanks for the advice I appreciate it! :)

Go for it! It's wonderful! :love:

I will.. definitely will, once everything's settled and the time/scheduling works.. *fingers crossed!*
:luv17: