Sasha Cohen, Haydenettes win MK trophy | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen, Haydenettes win MK trophy

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
But Sasha has won zero nationals, so 14 X zero = zero?

Thats exactly my point. If you say that the Haydenettes have one 14 times more than that meanst 14x0. so that's not correct.
You have to say they have one 14 more times cause that means 0+14

Littlewild1

Rinkside
Congratulations to Sasha and the Haydenettes. Sasha mentions the award in her latest journal entry.

Has the award ever been won by a pairs or dance team? I'd like to see them get more recognition. It's good that the synchro skaters have made their mark.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Littlewild1 said:
Has the award ever been won by a pairs or dance team? I'd like to see them get more recognition. It's good that the synchro skaters have made their mark.
No. As explained on USFSA, this is the first time anyone other than a singles skater has won, and the first time it resulted in a tie. Past winners:

"2004 Sasha Cohen, Haydenettes
2003 Michelle Kwan
2002 Michelle Kwan
2001 Michelle Kwan
2000 Michael Weiss
1999 Michelle Kwan
1998 Michelle Kwan
1997 Tara Lipinski
1996 Michelle Kwan
1995 Todd Eldredge
1994 Michelle Kwan
1993 Scott Davis
1992 Paul Wylie
1991 Tonya Harding
1990 Jill Trenary
1989 Kristi Yamaguchi"

registered

On the Ice
Why is this thread subtly turning to Sasha bashing? This is a READER'S CHOICE AWARD, winning it shouldn't be more upsetting to Sasha, than, let's say for Michelle to realize, that Sasha won it, while she herself no longer eligible to. Get over yourselves people, Sasha is no Tania Harding, and Michelle is no Katarina Witt either.

gezando

Final Flight
BravesSkateFan said:
But Sasha has won zero nationals, so 14 X zero = zero?

Thats exactly my point. If you say that the Haydenettes have one 14 times more than that meanst 14x0. so that's not correct.
You have to say they have one 14 more times cause that means 0+14

Thanks for the explanation.

I think it is an honor for Sasha Cohen to be one of the recepients of the MK trophy. Just imagine every morning when Sasha wakes up, one of the very first thing she sees is the Michelle Kwan trophy :)

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
gezando said:
BTW, are Harding and Cohen the only 2 without national gold?

Harding won Nationals in 1991, the same year she won the Reader's Choice award.

She also won in 1994 but was later stripped of that title, leaving her with one. I don't know whether she still has the actual medal.

gezando

Final Flight
gkelly said:
Harding won Nationals in 1991, the same year she won the Reader's Choice award.

She also won in 1994 but was later stripped of that title, leaving her with one. I don't know whether she still has the actual medal.

Thanks, so looking at the list, almost all recepients are national champions?

Last edited:

Fossi

Final Flight
registered said:
Well, let's see, Katarina=2 times Olympic champion, Kwan=0 times Olymic champion. Nope, she's no Katarina. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

kharma ain't a pretty thing. Are you tempting the skating Gods? :eek:

mzheng

Record Breaker
So while complainning about 'Why is this thread subtly turning to Sasha bashing?'. Now you turn in a not so subtly Kwan digging? :\

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Let's just all be happy that great skaters won a trophy named after another great skater in a contest where there was no judging hanky panky, hanging chads or other nasty stuff to deal with. :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
ITA, Piel. Let's get back on topic. MK is inelligible for the award because they named the trophy after her. (7times the winner do you blame them for retiring her? LOLOL) SC is the current silver medalist and has a huge hollowing no doubt that she'd win sooner or later. Skating magazine is read by a lot of USFSA skaters as well as fans, am I correct? I am not surprised, then, that the Haydenettes also got recognition.

Figureskates

On the Ice
Since I skate at the same rink as the Haydenettes, I am truely pleased!!

They are the biggest thing in town!!

FigureSkates, I am curious. Do skaters come from all over the country to try out for the Haydenettes, or are they mostly recruited from local talent? Is it only women or mixed? Do they train all year? Do they tour? Do they get paid?

This is a great sport that receives too little publicity.

Mathman

Figureskates

On the Ice
Mathman, here is the answer to your questions.

Most of the skaters for the Haydenettes come from here in town and from towns surrounding. If my memory serves me, there were some from as far away as southern NH and northern RI. Most of the Haydenettes move up from the junior and novice teams, The Ice Mates and the Ice Cubes.

The team is all women. I do not know if that is by choice or chance. I do know that there are very few male figure skaters in the Lexington area. I know a couple of people have asked me if I ever considered trying to joint the master's team. I'll ask Lynn Benson the next time I see her.

They train 11 months of the year, taking July off.

They don't tour per se, but do make a few appearances a year, such as at Rockefellar Center in New York and at some local ice shows, such as Ice Chips.

They are not paid. They do pay their way through fund raisers and the like.

It is a great sport and can only truelly be enjoyed seeing it live. TV doesn't do it justice. If my memory serves me correctly, I think synchro skating is going to be included in the next winter Olympics as an exhibition sport. If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

I hope this helps, Mathman.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Michelle Kwan wins the 2005 US Championship, will the USFSA declare her ineligible for any more US Championships and name the trophy after her?

skatingfan5

On the Ice
U.S. ladies trophy named for Maribel Vinson Owen

chuckm said:
If Michelle Kwan wins the 2005 US Championship, will the USFSA declare her ineligible for any more US Championships and name the trophy after her?
The trophy is already named for Maribel Vinson Owen, who won 9 U.S. championships. I know that you were only joking, but even in that context, I think that Michelle would have to surpass that record by winning 10 national titles for them to even consider re-naming the trophy -- not that they ever would or should.

I didn't know that about the Maribel Vinson Owens trophy, Skatingfan5. Thanks for the info. Owens' mark really gives Michelle something to shoot for!

Figureskates, thanks for the facts about the Haydenettes. I totally second your comment that you have to see it live. I have seen this sport on TV only a couple of times, and then not even a full performance, much less a full competition. Frankly, it did not hold my interest.

But when I finally got a chance to see a complete live program here two weeks ago -- wow! I'm hooked.

Mathman