• other

Votes: 19 19.2%
  • I love everyones oultfit

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters

Kateri

On the Ice
I wanted to vote for Fumie Suguri!

But Shen/Zhao are usually well turned out!

k.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I like Shen & Zhao's outfits, too; colorful without searing the retinas and no instances of 15 pounds of weird things hanging off them, and nothing they've worn (so far, anyway) goes into the Ripped Look zone. Some of their outfits over the years have been very different, but in a good way.

I cannot think of one single Russian skater I would EVER vote for in the "best dressed" category. And don't even get me started on the Ukrainians, who, year after year, I think are far and away the Worst Dressed of anyone (tho Elena Liashenko is an exception; she usually manages to show up without looking like a parade float or Christmas tree).

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Overall, Nicole Bobek had really pretty costumes most of the time. I also really like Jenny's lacy costume and Michelle's coral costume.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
JonnyCoop said:
I cannot think of one single Russian skater I would EVER vote for in the "best dressed" category.
I really like some of the things Maria used to wear. Other than her, ITA.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Jenny, B/A, Jamie and David are always dressed perfectly out on the ice, KURT BROWNING(Brickhouse alone is enough to get him #1 in my book! ;))

and so many others...

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
berthes ghost said:
I really like some of the things Maria used to wear. Other than her, ITA.

Now that you mention it -- yes, Maria usually had some very classy looking outfits. But as to the rest -- :eek:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Michelle Kwan ...classic elegance. Jenny Kirk always looks good as does Angela since her transformation.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
forgot to say that Nicole Bobek is always dressed nicely...

and ITA about Angela's transformation!!!

Jef Billings is the master! :)

libra 1

Rinkside
JonnyCoop said:
I like Shen & Zhao's outfits, too; colorful without searing the retinas and no instances of 15 pounds of weird things hanging off them, and nothing they've worn (so far, anyway) goes into the Ripped Look zone. Some of their outfits over the years have been very different, but in a good way.

I cannot think of one single Russian skater I would EVER vote for in the "best dressed" category. And don't even get me started on the Ukrainians, who, year after year, I think are far and away the Worst Dressed of anyone (tho Elena Liashenko is an exception; she usually manages to show up without looking like a parade float or Christmas tree).

Re: your talking about the "not best dressed" Russian skaters and in view of that the best of them come from StPetersburg, I conclude that dress codes in San Diego and StPetersburg are different .
Well, if the American fans think the baggy costumes of Weir or cheap finery of Yagudin is something that falls into proper dress category, I have no comment.

Libra - a fan of Russian style in figure skating ( including results)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Depending on the costume Yags has great taste... Jef Billings' work with SOI helps in that area ;)

and I don't care for Johnny's costume style at all... I'm American, proud to be, but I agree for the most part the European/Russian style does nothing for me... ripped up pieces of cloth I do not consider flattering or pretty... and plunging necklines to the bellybutton and beyond on EITHER GENDER is another no no... just cuz B. Spears does it doesn't mean it's a good idea ;)

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
I like Michelle's dresses but she always looks the same. Sasha Cohen's are a little average, but her first Malaguena dress and her first Swan Lake dress were beautiful. Maria Butyrskaya had the best costumes for a female skater. What a class.

Not single skaters, B/S were the pair with best costumes but they're not in the list. S/Z's are okay, N/K are okay, B/A's are bad (how can they be taken seriously without true ice dance costumes? ;)), Plushenko's are usually very bad (although I loved his Adagio bodysuit)...

I'm not exactly a fan of the majority of the costumes Tarasova's students wear, but Yagudin is an exception. (probably helps that they fit well :D) He always has great costumes and pretty much can pull off anything. The red and black costume from Revolution Etude was classy and elegant, the costume from Racing was very simple but the shirt was great and it had everything to do with the music... I think I'll vote for him.

I don't see anything wrong with Russian skaters' costumes, btw. Ladies especially, sure, they may not look like ice little princesses, but that's not the point anyway. I think most of the American ladies never wear a dress that remotely fits the music and that is far more important IMO.

Littlewild1

Rinkside
I don't know about being the best dressed overall from that list, but Tanith and Ben almost always have stunning costumes. Her dress from their Spanish original dance remains one of my favorite skating dresses of all time. Take a look: http://www.belbin-agosto.net/photos/sa01/02.jpg
Her West Side Story dress from this year was great because it was simple and understated, and showed attention to detail (the dress resembles the one worn by Natalie Wood in the last scene of the movie). Their costumes from last year's original dance were beautiful, with Ben in tails and a red cravat and Tanith in this gorgeous red dress. Her mom deserves a lot of credit for making those costumes!
I wouldn't vote for Navka and Kostomarov for best dressed this season, because all of their costumes were of the same cut and pattern. They were great costumes, but how about some variety?
For ladies from this list, I would vote for Sasha Cohen. Sure, her costumes don't appeal to everyone, but I think they are very beautiful. Her My Fair Lady dress is absolutely breathtaking.
I think Alexei Yagudin is the best dressed man from that list. He's had some mistakes, sure...but his costumes for Winter and MITIM can certainly forgive things like One Banana.
Of the pairs on that list, I would vote for Shen and Zhao. But the best dressed pair in my book? Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze :)

mariana

On the Ice
I think D&S always have very nice outfits, I really liked the ones they used for their 2002 exhibition program. :love:

N@d&A

Rinkside
I love Ann Patrice McDonough´s costumes avery detail is perfectly done :love:
and also :love: Sasha´s first Swan lake and both Malagueña :love:

mpal2

Final Flight
RIskatingfan said:
I don't see anything wrong with Russian skaters' costumes, btw. Ladies especially, sure, they may not look like ice little princesses, but that's not the point anyway. I think most of the American ladies never wear a dress that remotely fits the music and that is far more important IMO.

Just one question on that comment. What does fake nudity and shredded fabric have to do with most of the music used? Unless you have Yagudin in gladiator outfits or Ann Patrice and Sasha with swans stuck all over their clothes (to name a few) an outfit is just an outfit. I think it has more to do with a style preference and not the music.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
mpal2 said:
Just one question on that comment. What does fake nudity and shredded fabric have to do with most of the music used? Unless you have Yagudin in gladiator outfits or Ann Patrice and Sasha with swans stuck all over their clothes (to name a few) an outfit is just an outfit. I think it has more to do with a style preference and not the music.

Unlike dancers and other athletes, skaters HAVE to cover themselves up, it's part of the rules. If they didn't have those rules you can bet there would be no "fake nudity", you'd have real arms, back and legs showing. So if they have no freedom to wear costumes in a certain style, they will twist it around and wear it the way they can.

I don't have anything against showing on the ice dressed like a princess, just like I don't have anything against skaters who wear "shredded" fabric. As long as it goes with the music, IMO it's fine. You can combine personal preference with coherence with the music you're skating to. Now, criticizing skaters for wearing too much shredded stuff (those Russians with no good taste!!) and not criticizing the ones who wear pretty little dresses all the time just for the sake of it... no LOL

IMO, an outfit is not just an outfit, otherwise you could show up on the ice in a t-shirt and sweat pants like most skaters do at practice. The costume needs to have something with the program, isn't it's all about? Technique, presentation, artistry, interpretation? You don't need a swan in the dress when skating to Swan Lake (that dress AP wore has to be one of the worst ever). But if you're skating to Latin music you're not going to show up dressed as the English Queen.

I just think it's absolutely pointless to pay a fortune for a dress or a costume to skate to a certain piece of music and then it doesn't have a thing to do with it. Like I said, it's the same than showing on the ice with sweat pants and a t-shirt. Only it probably doesn't appeal as much to the audience and it won't make the little girls in the US want to be a skater when they are older.... LOL

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For the most part, I have always like Alexei's costumes.

Dee