Votes: 12 12.1%
  • other

Votes: 19 19.2%
  • I love everyones oultfit

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters

lil_icesk8er915

On the Ice
I voted for Tanith and Ben, Michelle, Sasha, Xue Shen and Hongbo Zhou, and Other.

Tanith and Ben's are simpler and more conservative than most Ice Dancer costumes! I also think their costumes have bold colors and fit very well with their music.

Sasha's are just beautiful and they compliment her beautiful skating! She always picks colors that look fantastic on her too!

I like how Michelle's are simple yet beautiful and elegant. It really has you focus on her skating instead of the costumes, I really like her recent one's by Vera Wang.

Xue Shen and Hongbo Zhou always pick costumes that go pefectly with the music!

I like Shizuka's costumes because they are very different and unique, like this year's Turandot program and her techno remix Swan Lake short program costumes!

I also like Fumie's costumes, her costumes are always pretty and delicate like her skating, but I also liked how she wore pants with her Rolling Stones program!

And I loved Jenny's short program costume this year!! It was gorgeous! :love:

soogar

Record Breaker
Ina and Zimmerman always had nice costumes.

I agree with RI that most Americans don't wear costumes that fit the music. Most of them just pick a look out of a magazine and go with it. I love the shredded costumes and the whole glove bit. A skating costume isn't only about style but rather interpreting the music.

I love Sasha's skating but her costumes are rather plain. For such a fashionista, she really doesn't pick costumes with oomph. I did like her first costume.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
berthes ghost said:
Oh please, I've seen toddlers who can't even speak yet fight with their mothers because they don't want to wear something. What 20 year old woman is "forced" to wear anything by her mother? None.
None? Not only I know of 20 year old women who had to wear what their parents determined, they also had their lives controlled from the day they were born. Friends were chosen for them, husband, education, profession... What does this prove about AP? Nothing I'd say LOL

You forget that they not only have a personal relationship (mother-daughter), they also have a work relationship and they have to work together. This kind of relationship can be very complex so unless you know any details about it, you (and everybody else) can't make any judgement.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I actually don't care if the costume goes with the music or not. Certainly, it can help create a mood. But, some skaters don't need a costume to do that. I also don't want to see 50 different variations on what a swan made into a skating dress would look like.....well, I think we have already, so I don't want to see anymore! I say if it is beautiful and you are comfortable in it...wear it! Also, for certain musical selections there aren't really any costume colors/designs/themes that would be considered universally "fitting" or "acceptable" by all. It is a subjective thing. I may envision one color while listening to a certain piece of music, but the person next to me might have a totally different color in mind.

As for my favorites:

Nancy Kerrigan - I always thought she had beautiful costumes. I absolutely loved the Vera Wang creations from her 92 Oly LP, 94 Oly SP and 94 Oly LP. But, the pee-green one from her 92 Oly SP was not my favorite.

Chen Lu - I loved everything from 95 and on. Her "Rach" dress was beautiful!

Michelle Kwan - I do like Michelle's simple and elegant taste. But, I was shocked to see her choose such a shocking shade for her 2002 Skate America LP costume. "Nuclear Meltdown" Yellow does nothing for her!

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
The costume certainly matters in the interpretation part. It's all part of the package. For a sport than wants to have an artistic impression, a costume is part of that impression. Otherwise, actors would wear their own clothes, no matter if it has nothing to do with what their characters would wear, for example.

Costuming is an important part of arts. It's part of the show component. Looking good is relevant (if only for the covers of magazines LOL) but the mood and the interpretation too, of course, what are they doing on stage if not interpreting? Looking good for the sake of it is purely and completely shallow.

BTW, I have yet to understand why when talking about Swan Lake and costumes that fit the music people instantly think of putting swans in the dress, like AP. You see... not once I saw Odette or any other character of the ballet wearing a costume that had a swan stamped in it LOL So I don't really understand why the skaters, in order to have a costume that fits the music, have to LOL

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Looking good for the sake of it is purely and completely shallow.

I'm sorry. I couldn't disagree with anything more. It isn't a sin to look good, nor is it a sin to want to look your best. Why do people want to look good? Certainly, it is wonderful to be noticed, but it is even more important to feel that boost of confidence that comes along with looking your absolute best.

Otherwise, actors would wear their own clothes, no matter if it has nothing to do with what their characters would wear, for example.

Skaters have certain rules to follow that govern what they can and cannot wear, so I really don't think that is an issue in this case. But, I am so tired of people expecting skaters to wear certain types of costumes with certain pieces of music. If they are not comfortable with a particular style of costume or they don't feel confident in it...why should they have to wear a Spanish styled dress just because they are skating to Spanish themed music? Ridiculous! If a skater wants to wear a simple, lime green dress while skating to "The Blue Danube"...who cares! If they are following the official rules regarding costumes, and, at the same time are given added confidence by wearing something they really like...it shouldn't matter. Everyone can wear a blue dress to "The Blue Danube", just like everyone can do red with "Carmen", etc. It is easy and has been done a thousand times. At least they are trying to be different and are approaching something from their own direction and not someone else's.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
BronzeisGolden said:
I'm sorry. I couldn't disagree with anything more. It isn't a sin to look good, nor is it a sin to want to look your best.
This is not what I said. And it's not the question either. A skater can obviously look good and still wear a costume that fits the music, let's not be limited to think it's either one or the other. That's not a photoshoot where the purpose is simply to look good, we're talking about a skating program that is to be judged on technical merit and presentation skills.

BronzeisGolden said:
If they are not comfortable with a particular style of costume or they don't feel confident in it...why should they have to wear a Spanish styled dress just because they are skating to Spanish themed music?
I'm not sure what you mean by "Spanish themed music" or "Spanish themed costumes", but anyway, if you want to understand why some sort of clothes go along with certain styles of music, I suggest you to make some research. You'll be amazed to see how the country where a dance was originated, the weather there, the characteristics of the style of music and etc play an important role in the clothes that are associated to a certain genre of music. This stuff doesn't come out of nowhere. There are some clothes that are deeply associated with certain styles of music and it's not because someone woke up someday and decided a dancer would have to wear a certain type of clothes to dance that music. And this is all part of a mood and feel the skaters is (should be...) trying to convey.

BronzeisGolden said:
Everyone can wear a blue dress to "The Blue Danube", just like everyone can do red with "Carmen", etc. It is easy and has been done a thousand times. At least they are trying to be different and are approaching something from their own direction and not someone else's.
I really don't understand what you mean. First of all, there are patterns in life for everything. Using your own example, you can be original and innovative and still wear red for Carmen (although you sure don't have to, it's not like she was looking like a ball of fire during the whole opera, but anyway...). It is called imagination, creativity and heck, art. What is ridiculous IMO would be a skater skating to Waltz in jeans. Would that be innovative for you?

IMO people (and this includes skaters and coaches too) make generalizations about costumes and colors associated to certain pieces and don't understand that it doesn't have to be that way for a costume to fit a music. Gee, you don't need a swan drawn in a dress to skate to Swan Lake, you don't need to wear red for Carmen, you sure don't need blue to the Blue Danube... There is so much you can do with a costume. I remember reading about Michelle Kwan's Aranjuez, that bullfighters wear red and black. NOT. Yellow and blue are very appropriate colors for that "theme" in fact, if one learns a little more about bullfighting.

Last edited:

MichelleWingKwan

Match Penalty
Michelle all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always liked Michelle's costumes, but in particular her 94 Short Program from the Nationals dress, very pretty. :) :) :) :) :)