View Poll Results: who has the best oultfits?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tatiana Navka & Roman Kostomarov

6 6.06%
  • Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto

12 12.12%
  • Sasha Cohen

15 15.15%
  • Michelle Kwan

31 31.31%
  • Alexei Yagudin

16 16.16%
  • Evgeni Plushenko

5 5.05%
  • Elena Bechke & Denis Petrov

0 0%
  • Xue Shen & Hongbo Zhao

12 12.12%
  • other

19 19.19%
  • I love everyones oultfit

4 4.04%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: best oultfits

Argentinian wonder ;)
    I think D&S always have very nice outfits, I really liked the ones they used for their 2002 exhibition program.

Tripping on the Podium
    I love Ann Patrice McDonough´s costumes avery detail is perfectly done
    and also Sasha´s first Swan lake and both Malagueña

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by RIskatingfan
    I don't see anything wrong with Russian skaters' costumes, btw. Ladies especially, sure, they may not look like ice little princesses, but that's not the point anyway. I think most of the American ladies never wear a dress that remotely fits the music and that is far more important IMO.
    Just one question on that comment. What does fake nudity and shredded fabric have to do with most of the music used? Unless you have Yagudin in gladiator outfits or Ann Patrice and Sasha with swans stuck all over their clothes (to name a few) an outfit is just an outfit. I think it has more to do with a style preference and not the music.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mpal2
    Just one question on that comment. What does fake nudity and shredded fabric have to do with most of the music used? Unless you have Yagudin in gladiator outfits or Ann Patrice and Sasha with swans stuck all over their clothes (to name a few) an outfit is just an outfit. I think it has more to do with a style preference and not the music.
    Unlike dancers and other athletes, skaters HAVE to cover themselves up, it's part of the rules. If they didn't have those rules you can bet there would be no "fake nudity", you'd have real arms, back and legs showing. So if they have no freedom to wear costumes in a certain style, they will twist it around and wear it the way they can.

I don't have anything against showing on the ice dressed like a princess, just like I don't have anything against skaters who wear "shredded" fabric. As long as it goes with the music, IMO it's fine. You can combine personal preference with coherence with the music you're skating to. Now, criticizing skaters for wearing too much shredded stuff (those Russians with no good taste!!) and not criticizing the ones who wear pretty little dresses all the time just for the sake of it... no LOL

IMO, an outfit is not just an outfit, otherwise you could show up on the ice in a t-shirt and sweat pants like most skaters do at practice. The costume needs to have something with the program, isn't it's all about? Technique, presentation, artistry, interpretation? You don't need a swan in the dress when skating to Swan Lake (that dress AP wore has to be one of the worst ever). But if you're skating to Latin music you're not going to show up dressed as the English Queen.

I just think it's absolutely pointless to pay a fortune for a dress or a costume to skate to a certain piece of music and then it doesn't have a thing to do with it. Like I said, it's the same than showing on the ice with sweat pants and a t-shirt. Only it probably doesn't appeal as much to the audience and it won't make the little girls in the US want to be a skater when they are older.... LOL

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    For the most part, I have always like Alexei's costumes.

Dee

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by RIskatingfan
    I just think it's absolutely pointless to pay a fortune for a dress or a costume to skate to a certain piece of music and then it doesn't have a thing to do with it. Like I said, it's the same than showing on the ice with sweat pants and a t-shirt. Only it probably doesn't appeal as much to the audience and it won't make the little girls in the US want to be a skater when they are older.... LOL
    I still don't understand why you single out American ladies outfits as having nothing to do with the music. I see a lot of skaters from Europe, Japan, Russia, etc. that have costumes that don't relate to the music. Maybe it's because I'm American and don't have all the cultural references that they are interpreting the music with.

I just don't think it's fair to say the American ladies as a group don't have outfits that interpret the music. They look fine to me. I got the mood they were trying to convey. Again, the shredded fabric, the baubles, the fake nudity, the simple dresses or the elaborate dresses are all a style preference within each skater's frame of reference.

Regarding the obvious costumes: I'm not saying that they have to have a swan stuck on their costume to skate to Swan Lake or even a tutu, but those are the only ones that literally match the music. Everything else is going to be interpretation, and we won't all intrepret things the same way. I personally would much rather see them in something other than the obvious and try something different.

Custom Title
    I didn't single out the American ladies if you carefully read my post again. I just thought it was unfair to single out ONLY the shredded fabric and etc when what was obviously being used as a standard (what American ladies usually wear) is not exactly a good standard either IMO LOL If I had been reading people dissing what Americans wear, I'd probably note that Europeans don't always dress well either, that's all.

Like I said and I will repeat it, I have nothing against skaters looking like a little princess or showing up in shredded stuff. As long as it fits.

Custom Title
    RIskatingfan,

I think in the end we are both trying to say the same thing. It just got garbled along the way.

Custom Title
    Probably!

On the Ice
    i voted for other...imo the skater with the best outfites is katia gordeeva. her costumes alway reflect her music, style, and theme of her program. :D

Rinkside
    I voted other too. but the person I had in mind was johnny weir. I loved his sparkly Dr zhivago and his Cirque du soleil short from last year.

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
    I simply adore the "weird' costumes of the Russians. Give me lace, give me frills, give me glitter, sequins, ruffles, fake flesh, gloves....

I voted for Evgeni, naturally. Though I didn't like his Tango SP costume. But I've loved all rest. Obviously. :D

Laura

Custom Title
    I voted for 'other'. My choice: Berezhnaya-Sikharulidze. Their costumes are simple, elegant. They showcase their beautiful lines, and they fit the mood of the music. Some examples:

Swan Lake at 98 Oly: Very simple, pale blue outfits that showed off their exquisite lines.

99 Worlds SP (Happy Valley): The peacock feathers on their costumes and the colors (blue and red) displayed the happy mood of the music.

00 Sentimentale waltz: Their pale blue outfits were among the most elegant and fitted the music so well.

01 worlds SP:Meadowland- Russian folk music. Their red outfits were stunning and added to the power of the music and showcased their incredible speed on the ice.

01 GWG SP (Lady Caliph): One of the most beautiful white outfits on Elena made her look like a bride.

02 Olympics LP (Meditation): Stunning red on Elena and elegant black/gray on Anton really stood out on the ice, particularly from a distance.

There are more but I will stop here.

Vash
    Last edited by Vash01; 07-10-2004 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Added details

I prefer understated elegance. That's why I really like most of Todd's costumes.

Other skaters whose costumes I like for the most part are Paul, Kristi, Yuka, Jenny K, Michelle, & Fumie.

Custom Title
    Alexi Yaguden has very strange oultfits.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast