• other

Votes: 19 19.2%
  • I love everyones oultfit

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters

mpal2

Final Flight
RIskatingfan said:
I just think it's absolutely pointless to pay a fortune for a dress or a costume to skate to a certain piece of music and then it doesn't have a thing to do with it. Like I said, it's the same than showing on the ice with sweat pants and a t-shirt. Only it probably doesn't appeal as much to the audience and it won't make the little girls in the US want to be a skater when they are older.... LOL

I still don't understand why you single out American ladies outfits as having nothing to do with the music. I see a lot of skaters from Europe, Japan, Russia, etc. that have costumes that don't relate to the music. Maybe it's because I'm American and don't have all the cultural references that they are interpreting the music with.

I just don't think it's fair to say the American ladies as a group don't have outfits that interpret the music. They look fine to me. I got the mood they were trying to convey. Again, the shredded fabric, the baubles, the fake nudity, the simple dresses or the elaborate dresses are all a style preference within each skater's frame of reference.

Regarding the obvious costumes: I'm not saying that they have to have a swan stuck on their costume to skate to Swan Lake or even a tutu, but those are the only ones that literally match the music. Everything else is going to be interpretation, and we won't all intrepret things the same way. I personally would much rather see them in something other than the obvious and try something different.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
:rolleye: I didn't single out the American ladies if you carefully read my post again. I just thought it was unfair to single out ONLY the shredded fabric and etc when what was obviously being used as a standard (what American ladies usually wear) is not exactly a good standard either IMO LOL If I had been reading people dissing what Americans wear, I'd probably note that Europeans don't always dress well either, that's all.

Like I said and I will repeat it, I have nothing against skaters looking like a little princess or showing up in shredded stuff. As long as it fits.

mpal2

Final Flight
RIskatingfan,

I think in the end we are both trying to say the same thing. It just got garbled along the way. :)

KatyaFan

Rinkside
i voted for other...imo the skater with the best outfites is katia gordeeva. her costumes alway reflect her music, style, and theme of her program. :D

isk8nbessy

Rinkside
I voted other too. but the person I had in mind was johnny weir. I loved his sparkly Dr zhivago and his Cirque du soleil short from last year.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
I simply adore the "weird' costumes of the Russians. Give me lace, give me frills, give me glitter, sequins, ruffles, fake flesh, gloves....

I voted for Evgeni, naturally. Though I didn't like his Tango SP costume. But I've loved all rest. Obviously. :D

Laura :)

Vash01

Medalist
I voted for 'other'. My choice: Berezhnaya-Sikharulidze. Their costumes are simple, elegant. They showcase their beautiful lines, and they fit the mood of the music. Some examples:

Swan Lake at 98 Oly: Very simple, pale blue outfits that showed off their exquisite lines.

99 Worlds SP (Happy Valley): The peacock feathers on their costumes and the colors (blue and red) displayed the happy mood of the music.

00 Sentimentale waltz: Their pale blue outfits were among the most elegant and fitted the music so well.

01 worlds SP:Meadowland- Russian folk music. Their red outfits were stunning and added to the power of the music and showcased their incredible speed on the ice.

01 GWG SP (Lady Caliph): One of the most beautiful white outfits on Elena made her look like a bride.

02 Olympics LP (Meditation): Stunning red on Elena and elegant black/gray on Anton really stood out on the ice, particularly from a distance.

There are more but I will stop here.

Vash

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I prefer understated elegance. That's why I really like most of Todd's costumes. :love:

Other skaters whose costumes I like for the most part are Paul, Kristi, Yuka, Jenny K, Michelle, & Fumie. :love:

ouridol

On the Ice
JonnyCoop said:
Now that you mention it -- yes, Maria usually had some very classy looking outfits. But as to the rest -- :eek:
I also like Katia's outfits.
Anyhow I think Sasha's are the best. MK comes in close second (02 Shez was gorgeous!) after that maybe Jenny Kirk. (lol sorry they are all american).

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think that Shen & Zhao mostly have great looking costumes and they fit the programme also. Most elegant is Michelle Kwan, but for years I have not been able to see any connection between her music and the costume. I really like most Katia Gordeeva´s costumes.

About male skaters outside the list, in my opinion those skaters that are truly good-looking, look good almost in anything. And generally speaking, those male skaters that aren´t, even the best looking costume will not change their face. If one though has an elegant body type (tall enough with long arms and legs), that helps a lot.

Ice dance costumes I find mostly really awful.

Marjaana

Last edited:

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Jaana said:
Most elegant is Michelle Kwan, but for years I have not been able to see any connection between her music and the costume.
Really? No, she never wore a black swan across her chest, but come'on, the connections seem pretty obvious to me.

euterpe

Medalist
I've always liked Kwan's costumes--simple, elegant, never fussy or over-embellished. I also liked Todd Eldredge's costumes. Although he is really on the short side (5'7"), the drapy shirts and understated pants gave him a much taller appearance.

Tatiana Navka's costumes last season were barely there. I think she relied heavily on spirit gum or double-sided tape to keep her 'assets' from putting in an appearance. Maria Butyrskaya designed her own costumes, but she consistently undersized her trunks so that she always had a wedgie.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I always liked Nancy Kerrigan's simple, elegant costumes. Maria always looked fabulous in her costumes, which I understand she designed or helped design.

I have trouble watching Ann Patrice, because I am blinded by the sparkles in her ridiciulous, outdated costumes.

Michelle has been wearing the same costume for the past few years, just changing the color. Yawn.

Chrystia Mee

Rinkside
I would say Michelle Kwan and FUmie Suguri for the ladies. Michelle's dresses are usually very elegant and sophisticated. There's only one time where I cringed at what Michelle was wearing and that was the yellow dress for Aranjuez because yellow is not a great colour on her. Otherwise she looks beautiful always. THe same could be said for Fumie, she always looks very beautiful. I loved her dress for Swan Lake. The only costume I didn't like was Paint It Black because she had to wear that skirt over the pants. if she had no skirt, then it would have looked very nice. Jenny is probably next. I'm one of the few that doesn't care for Sasha Cohen's dresses. I don't know why. There's nothing wrong with the dresses I jsut don't think they stick out for me as much.

For men, Alexei Yagudin never looked bad. His costumes always looked very nice. Weir looked very good last season. I thought Joubert's sp costume was nice. I'm not a PLushenko fan though.

Shen and Zhao 's costumes always fit the music and are very nice. As were TOtmianina and Marinin 's lp costumes.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Chrystia Mee said:
I'm one of the few that doesn't care for Sasha Cohen's dresses.
Don't be fooled by a vociferous minority. Sasha's dress run from the mundane (her 00 nats SP, shades of Nancy) to the truely hideous (her purple majorette Rach LP from 03, shades of Tonya) with the occasional costume that she literally borrows from another skater (Rach at Lalique and Carmen at SLC) rather than all the "origional" ones that just look what others skaters have worn before. Although you sometimes see Nancy and MK mentioned in non-skating articles on fashion, you never see Sasha.

euterpe

Medalist
Poor Ann Patrice! She is forced to wear those show-girl type costumes, awash in sequins and glitter, because her mother makes them. :(

berthes ghost

Final Flight
euterpe said:
Poor Ann Patrice! She is forced to wear those show-girl type costumes, awash in sequins and glitter, because her mother makes them. :(
Oh please, I've seen toddlers who can't even speak yet fight with their mothers because they don't want to wear something. What 20 year old woman is "forced" to wear anything by her mother? None.