View Poll Results: who has the best oultfits?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tatiana Navka & Roman Kostomarov

6 6.06%
  • Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto

12 12.12%
  • Sasha Cohen

15 15.15%
  • Michelle Kwan

31 31.31%
  • Alexei Yagudin

16 16.16%
  • Evgeni Plushenko

5 5.05%
  • Elena Bechke & Denis Petrov

0 0%
  • Xue Shen & Hongbo Zhao

12 12.12%
  • other

19 19.19%
  • I love everyones oultfit

4 4.04%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: best oultfits

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyCoop
    Now that you mention it -- yes, Maria usually had some very classy looking outfits. But as to the rest --
    I also like Katia's outfits.
    Anyhow I think Sasha's are the best. MK comes in close second (02 Shez was gorgeous!) after that maybe Jenny Kirk. (lol sorry they are all american).

Custom Title
    I think that Shen & Zhao mostly have great looking costumes and they fit the programme also. Most elegant is Michelle Kwan, but for years I have not been able to see any connection between her music and the costume. I really like most Katia Gordeeva´s costumes.

About male skaters outside the list, in my opinion those skaters that are truly good-looking, look good almost in anything. And generally speaking, those male skaters that aren´t, even the best looking costume will not change their face. If one though has an elegant body type (tall enough with long arms and legs), that helps a lot.

Ice dance costumes I find mostly really awful.

Marjaana
    Last edited by Jaana; 08-03-2004 at 01:55 AM.

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana
    Most elegant is Michelle Kwan, but for years I have not been able to see any connection between her music and the costume.
    Really? No, she never wore a black swan across her chest, but come'on, the connections seem pretty obvious to me.

Custom Title
    I've always liked Kwan's costumes--simple, elegant, never fussy or over-embellished. I also liked Todd Eldredge's costumes. Although he is really on the short side (5'7"), the drapy shirts and understated pants gave him a much taller appearance.

Tatiana Navka's costumes last season were barely there. I think she relied heavily on spirit gum or double-sided tape to keep her 'assets' from putting in an appearance. Maria Butyrskaya designed her own costumes, but she consistently undersized her trunks so that she always had a wedgie.

I always liked Nancy Kerrigan's simple, elegant costumes. Maria always looked fabulous in her costumes, which I understand she designed or helped design.

I have trouble watching Ann Patrice, because I am blinded by the sparkles in her ridiciulous, outdated costumes.

Michelle has been wearing the same costume for the past few years, just changing the color. Yawn.

Tripping on the Podium
    I would say Michelle Kwan and FUmie Suguri for the ladies. Michelle's dresses are usually very elegant and sophisticated. There's only one time where I cringed at what Michelle was wearing and that was the yellow dress for Aranjuez because yellow is not a great colour on her. Otherwise she looks beautiful always. THe same could be said for Fumie, she always looks very beautiful. I loved her dress for Swan Lake. The only costume I didn't like was Paint It Black because she had to wear that skirt over the pants. if she had no skirt, then it would have looked very nice. Jenny is probably next. I'm one of the few that doesn't care for Sasha Cohen's dresses. I don't know why. There's nothing wrong with the dresses I jsut don't think they stick out for me as much.

For men, Alexei Yagudin never looked bad. His costumes always looked very nice. Weir looked very good last season. I thought Joubert's sp costume was nice. I'm not a PLushenko fan though.

Shen and Zhao 's costumes always fit the music and are very nice. As were TOtmianina and Marinin 's lp costumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrystia Mee
    I'm one of the few that doesn't care for Sasha Cohen's dresses.
    Don't be fooled by a vociferous minority. Sasha's dress run from the mundane (her 00 nats SP, shades of Nancy) to the truely hideous (her purple majorette Rach LP from 03, shades of Tonya) with the occasional costume that she literally borrows from another skater (Rach at Lalique and Carmen at SLC) rather than all the "origional" ones that just look what others skaters have worn before. Although you sometimes see Nancy and MK mentioned in non-skating articles on fashion, you never see Sasha.

My vote goes to Fumie

Custom Title
    Poor Ann Patrice! She is forced to wear those show-girl type costumes, awash in sequins and glitter, because her mother makes them. :(

Quote Originally Posted by euterpe
    Poor Ann Patrice! She is forced to wear those show-girl type costumes, awash in sequins and glitter, because her mother makes them. :(
    Oh please, I've seen toddlers who can't even speak yet fight with their mothers because they don't want to wear something. What 20 year old woman is "forced" to wear anything by her mother? None.

Custom Title
    I voted for Tanith and Ben, Michelle, Sasha, Xue Shen and Hongbo Zhou, and Other.

Tanith and Ben's are simpler and more conservative than most Ice Dancer costumes! I also think their costumes have bold colors and fit very well with their music.

Sasha's are just beautiful and they compliment her beautiful skating! She always picks colors that look fantastic on her too!

I like how Michelle's are simple yet beautiful and elegant. It really has you focus on her skating instead of the costumes, I really like her recent one's by Vera Wang.

Xue Shen and Hongbo Zhou always pick costumes that go pefectly with the music!

I like Shizuka's costumes because they are very different and unique, like this year's Turandot program and her techno remix Swan Lake short program costumes!

I also like Fumie's costumes, her costumes are always pretty and delicate like her skating, but I also liked how she wore pants with her Rolling Stones program!

And I loved Jenny's short program costume this year!! It was gorgeous!

Custom Title
    Ina and Zimmerman always had nice costumes.

I agree with RI that most Americans don't wear costumes that fit the music. Most of them just pick a look out of a magazine and go with it. I love the shredded costumes and the whole glove bit. A skating costume isn't only about style but rather interpreting the music.

I love Sasha's skating but her costumes are rather plain. For such a fashionista, she really doesn't pick costumes with oomph. I did like her first costume.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by berthes ghost
    Oh please, I've seen toddlers who can't even speak yet fight with their mothers because they don't want to wear something. What 20 year old woman is "forced" to wear anything by her mother? None.
    None? Not only I know of 20 year old women who had to wear what their parents determined, they also had their lives controlled from the day they were born. Friends were chosen for them, husband, education, profession... What does this prove about AP? Nothing I'd say LOL

You forget that they not only have a personal relationship (mother-daughter), they also have a work relationship and they have to work together. This kind of relationship can be very complex so unless you know any details about it, you (and everybody else) can't make any judgement.

Custom Title
    I actually don't care if the costume goes with the music or not. Certainly, it can help create a mood. But, some skaters don't need a costume to do that. I also don't want to see 50 different variations on what a swan made into a skating dress would look like.....well, I think we have already, so I don't want to see anymore! I say if it is beautiful and you are comfortable in it...wear it! Also, for certain musical selections there aren't really any costume colors/designs/themes that would be considered universally "fitting" or "acceptable" by all. It is a subjective thing. I may envision one color while listening to a certain piece of music, but the person next to me might have a totally different color in mind.

As for my favorites:

Nancy Kerrigan - I always thought she had beautiful costumes. I absolutely loved the Vera Wang creations from her 92 Oly LP, 94 Oly SP and 94 Oly LP. But, the pee-green one from her 92 Oly SP was not my favorite.

Chen Lu - I loved everything from 95 and on. Her "Rach" dress was beautiful!

Michelle Kwan - I do like Michelle's simple and elegant taste. But, I was shocked to see her choose such a shocking shade for her 2002 Skate America LP costume. "Nuclear Meltdown" Yellow does nothing for her!

Custom Title
    The costume certainly matters in the interpretation part. It's all part of the package. For a sport than wants to have an artistic impression, a costume is part of that impression. Otherwise, actors would wear their own clothes, no matter if it has nothing to do with what their characters would wear, for example.

Costuming is an important part of arts. It's part of the show component. Looking good is relevant (if only for the covers of magazines LOL) but the mood and the interpretation too, of course, what are they doing on stage if not interpreting? Looking good for the sake of it is purely and completely shallow.

BTW, I have yet to understand why when talking about Swan Lake and costumes that fit the music people instantly think of putting swans in the dress, like AP. You see... not once I saw Odette or any other character of the ballet wearing a costume that had a swan stamped in it LOL So I don't really understand why the skaters, in order to have a costume that fits the music, have to LOL

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast