Michelle Kwan and Brian Boitano cast in new skating movie | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan and Brian Boitano cast in new skating movie

Bynx

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
It's just a movie but we can muse over the voices. I have noticed that MK is not speaking like a little girl as she used to. That's good. I'm not sure about Brian whose voice tends to be effeminate, imo. Nothing wrong with that, mind you, but it will not make it sound like a sportscaster. I would have preferred Kurt Browning.

Again this is just a movie. I'm not sure it is a real audition for a replacement for Dick and Peggy. But hey, it may have some impact and could be negative as well as positive.

Joe

Oh it's not even that serious! :laugh:

Brian is going to be a commentator, not a sportscaster.
Dick certainly doesn't sound like a sportcaster or speak like one!
Brian's voice will be just fine.

It's a joke! :laugh:

Brian and Michelle aren't auditioning for anything,
I think many just think they'd be D&P in natural progression.
With as close and good friends they are it'd be great.

The only negative would be if they didn't like their performances
and didn't want to do anymore acting.

It's all just good fun!
Can't wait to see it! :)

floskate

On the Ice
Erm yes i was joking about the audition part. But it will be interesting to see what they sound like and if they gripe about poor laybacks and spiral positions etc :laugh: Now that would be a stroke of genius on the scriptwriters part. I'm sure Dick would have a laugh at that.

But Dick and Peggy can't be around forever and the two most popular and successful skaters in the US over the last 20 years have been Brian and Michelle, so it would make sense for them to eventually take over so to speak - if they even wanted to that is!!

It does seem to me that Michelle's diction has improved quite a bit in the last couple of years. It made me wonder if she is taking lessions, or just maturing in her vocal mannerisms.

IMO, there is no way the sport of figure skating will ever let Michelle go. They will find some way to keep her in the public eye as a representative of the sport, and I agree with Floskate that broadcast commentary seems a natural fit.

Ditto for Brian B. But I think that Joe is right in saying that the powers-that-be at ABC television don't like his voice. He did have a tryout a few years ago, and did some events, I think as a third commentator with Dick and Peggy (not sure about that). This debut was followed by the all time silly fluff piece on Brian, featuring Brian and Michelle all snuggled up and a voice-over saying, "What stared out as a friendship has developed into -- (dramatic pause) -- something more." (Meanwhile Michelle and Brian were cracking up.)

It seemed clear that the TV producers were concerned about the gay issue.

But that was before the dawning of the twenty-first century, Will and Grace, the Queer Eye, etc. Maybe TV executives are catching up with the times.

Mathman

IDLERACER

Medalist
Brian and Michelle? Naw. Dick's replacement will definitely be Scott Hamilton, and Peggy's will either be Kristie or Tara, depending on which one is most available. I can easily visualize Boitano shoving microphones into people's faces though. Perhaps he'll replace Peter Carruthers.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I truly hope it wouldn't be Scott! :eek: I'm not real fond of Brian's voice but could stand it. I don't think Tara has that good of a voice either. Too high pitched.

What do you think of the choice of Jennifer Robinson for skating double? I persume that the Michelle Trachenberg character is a young teenage sensation (?). Jennifer has a very sophisticated look on the ice. Her appeal is her artistic maturity. I wonder how much actual skating we will see.

Mathman

I'm sure the movie will be nominated for the Academy Award, and everyone will be raving about how Kim could go from Sex in the City to adorable figure skating. :rolleye:

Anyway I am sure once it is released there will be 14 pages of comments in GS.

Back to that audition(?)... The movie is scripted so MK and BB will be delivering the scripted lines. So one should not get worked up on whether or not they are calling the flutzes correctly. but we will hear their voices and how well that souncs.

Hopefully, when the movie comes out, Jay Leno will leave out his comments on male figure skaters and especially Brian whom he likes to single out.

Can;t wait for the sequal and the prequel and finally the fourth episode The Return of School Figures.

Joe

SingAlto

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Ditto for Brian B. But I think that Joe is right in saying that the powers-that-be at ABC television don't like his voice. He did have a tryout a few years ago, and did some events, I think as a third commentator with Dick and Peggy (not sure about that). This debut was followed by the all time silly fluff piece on Brian, featuring Brian and Michelle all snuggled up and a voice-over saying, "What stared out as a friendship has developed into -- (dramatic pause) -- something more." (Meanwhile Michelle and Brian were cracking up.)

It seemed clear that the TV producers were concerned about the gay issue.

Mathman

Brian didn't have a "try out" with ABC a few years ago. He was an established commentator with the network for over three years. However, ABC wanted to broaden Brian's commentating duties to include competitions other than the U.S. Nationals and Worlds broadcasts. Brian, inasmuch as he's still a performing skater, passed on the new contract because he couldn't continue with his career and commentate for all the skating broadcasts that ABC wanted him for. I hate to break it to you, but his voice was no issue at all, btw. :rolleye:

As for the Brian and Michelle "fluff piece", I'd like to know when this was shown because I've collected Brian videos for over 17 years now, and I don't have that one in my massive collection. For ABC to insinuate that there was anything more between Brian and a teenaged MK is highly doubtful, not to mention ludicrous. Brian's commentating debut with ABC was in January 1996 which would've made Michelle Kwan all of 15 1/2 years old at the time. :rolleye:

As for Brian being gay, that's pure speculation on your part. Brian has never said he's gay.

I never said Brian was gay. I said his voice is effeminate, imo. I don't think Jay Leno said he was gay although i don't watch his show often, he does mimic the stereotypes when speaking about male figure skaters. I couldn't care less if anyone is gay. but I do not like them being debased.

Joe

SingAlto said:
For ABC to insinuate that there was anything more between Brian and a teenaged MK is highly doubtful, not to mention ludicrous.
I thought it was ludicrous, too. That's why it stuck in my mind so vividly.
As for Brian being gay, that's pure speculation on your part. Brian has never said he's gay.
I didn't say or speculate that Brian was gay. I said that ABC gave me the impression that this was an issue for them. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Thanks for the information about Boitano's forays into the broadcasting business. Now that his performing career is winding down, maybe he will be more interested in pursuing commentating opportunities.

Mathman

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
Hi, Mathman.

Michele T is somewhat of a teen idol. The 1st time I saw her was on soap All My Children - she played Lily, the now-deceased Laurel's autistic daughter and Jackson Montgomery's step daughter. After AMC, she starred in the Harriet, the Spy Movie. I think she's probably most famous for playing Buffy the Vampire Slayer's little sister Dawn.

Johar

Medalist
How did Lily get killed off on AMC? :eek:

While I'll probably watch, most ice skating movies tend to be very cheesy and unrealistic.