2015-16 State of Pairs - News & Discussion | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2015-16 State of Pairs - News & Discussion

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Did anyone read IFS Magazine's feature with Tati and Max? They interviewed them before Worlds.

They are not fans of earlier start times for pair skating. They also said that if they don't think they'll win an individual Olympic medal in 2018, they can focus on the Team Event. The following quotes from Max stood out to me. They thought they'd win the SP if they were clean.

Well, they were only short of first place by a few points. Plus, they got highest PCS in the SP by a small margin (with their errors). Who knows how the ranking would've been had they skated a clean program. (I'm also a big fan of their Bollywood SP - I've been familiar with the song they used, so it was great to hear it in the arena! But I have to disagree when Max mentions other couples skating 'normal' short programs, because there were some fantastic programs at Worlds that were nothing short of 'normal'! But I do agree that V/T's SP is really great :) )

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
T/M need to leave Mozer and get a coach who is interested in making them the focus and right now in Mozer's group T/M are only Russian team number #3. Despite the fact that V/T don't even seem serious about competing anymore they will always be the main focus of this group and the same thing is true of S/K. T/M are the future of Russian Pairs but the Russian fed seems more interested in older teams who don't even seem to want to compete.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
T/M need to leave Mozer and get a coach who is interested in making them the focus and right now in Mozer's group T/M are only Russian team number #3. Despite the fact that V/T don't even seem serious about competing anymore they will always be the main focus of this group and the same thing is true of S/K. T/M are the future of Russian Pairs but the Russian fed seems more interested in older teams who don't even seem to want to compete.

There is a lot of talks on Russian boards that Tarasova/Morozov might work with Vasiliev. Not sure if it's just wishful thinkings or something's behind it.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
There is a lot of talks on Russian boards that Tarasova/Morozov might work with Vasiliev. Not sure if it's just wishful thinkings or something's behind it.

If it becomes true, that would be awesome not only for them but also for pair fans. They have almost everything except presentation and personalities to sell their programs. I don't think monopolization of the top pairs in Russia doesn't eventually go well for the young skaters as a third position. They really need to step up.

Giselle

Medalist
Vasiliev would be a great match for Tarasova/Morozov IMO. He would still give them lyrical snot but at least it would be good lyrical snot. And maybe he'll force them to emote.
Not sure how Vera Bazarova would take it since she prefers to be the top skater in a group.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I don't think Mozer understands what "Latino" means. It is not exactly a commonly used term in Russian. She probably heard it in the States and formed a vague idea that it has something to do with Spanish.
That said, the term "Hispanic" is also not very useful in this context as it is commonly used to denote a racial group (e.g. medical research). And Spaniards are not a different race to the rest of the Europeans just because they speak Spanish. Europeans should really be left out of such America-specific categories.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
While for a sensitive Westerner like me, Mozer's words definitely come across as racist crap. I can attest that it does not sound as bad in Russian to a Russian audience.
No, it just comes across as ridiculous crap. Being un-PC is one thing, talking rubbish is another.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
So what unique things are these skaters doing exactly that white people can't do? Last time I checked they're all doing the same twists, spins and sbs jumps. The only exception is Duhamel/Radford who do SBS 3Lz and oh my, they happen to be white.
She wasn't just talking about pairs, she was talking about figure skating in general (hence the inclusion of Fernandez). What it is according to her that Asians plus Fernandez can do that "we" are not capable of, I am not sure. Nobody can do what Boyang can do, but Fernandez isn't doing anything unique, he just currently does it better than others.
Anyway, has it occured to her that in singles it pays to be short and light, and Asians are on average smaller than Europeans? Without all that off-the-wall stuff about fast-twitch fibers.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Vasiliev would be a great match for Tarasova/Morozov IMO. He would still give them lyrical snot but at least it would be good lyrical snot. And maybe he'll force them to emote.
Not sure how Vera Bazarova would take it since she prefers to be the top skater in a group.

Oh my. I can't stop laughing at "lyrical snot". :rofl: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

So, so funny. Yet so very true.

Giselle

Medalist
Oh my. I can't stop laughing at "lyrical snot". :rofl: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

So, so funny. Yet so very true.

I can't take the credit for this term, it's Maxim Trankov that used it in 2010 to describe his programs with Mukhortova when they were with Vasiliev ;)