2015-16 State of Pairs - News & Discussion | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2015-16 State of Pairs - News & Discussion

oleada

Record Breaker
Probably going to be very unpopular, but after watching the intermediate, novice and junior feeds the state and future of the U.S program is not inspiring. I found very few "wow" skaters. Most seems to be churning through the program with gritted teeth and false smiles. I favor the pairs programs and only there did I find one male skater in the novice program who desperately needs to be separated from his lagging female pair and one female skater in juniors who shines despite a thuddingly slow male partner.
For a country that has money, ice rinks and an abdundance of ambition, we are floundering on the world scene.

Thoughts?

I would agree. A few bright spots aside, the level of pairs at this championships was not great. Pairs is probably my favorite discipline, so I watched most of it.

In juniors, the level of basic skating was really poor, compared to the other disciplines, and the technical content attempted was not even close to what the top international juniors are doing. Weinstein/Simon are the only ones with two throw triples, but they don't even have a reliable double axel (or a triple twist but I'll given them a pass on that since they're juniors). Weinberg/Fernandez don't have a triple twist but no second throw triple or 2A. Marvaldi/Dolciewiz try, but the size difference isn't in their favor. The less said about the other teams, the better. And these teams are not young for juniors. It's hard to analyze where Liu/Johnson are at since they had a bad injury over the summer and now are injured again.

I liked the novice champs of Kopmar/Barrett, but unfortunately, given their large age gap, they're only age eligible for juniors one season, in 2017-2018. I don't know why the US coaches do these so much, but it seems like they're particularly bad offenders when it comes to pairing tiny girls with full grown men. I don't feel it lets the teams grow with each other much. Compared to the Russian Nationals, where out of 12 teams, 2 were eligible for 2 junior seasons, most were age eligible for 3 seasons or more.

Sorry for my rant....:slink: On a more positive note, I'm exited about the big Europeans showdown between S/K, V/T and S/M this week.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
T/M is frustrating. The lp last season was dreadful but this season's is ridiculous- not only is it too literal, it doesn't make sense. I feel like their talent is being wasted under Mozer. They've improved technically since their junior days under Robin, but the Team Mozer packaging is not doing them favors. I wish they'd move to Dmitriev or Vasiliev instead(I think Moskvina would be great for them stylistically, but I'm not sure how much longer she plans to coach, especially since T/M are fairly young).
And yes, Evgenia needs to go back to her red hair; the blond washes her out and is not helping matters...

I'm a selfish person and since I like T/M and adore Moskvina I want T/M with her even if its only for a little while. They could learn a lot from her in just one season and it would benefit them greatly even if she retired and they have to move to another coach. A short period could still make a great difference in a skater. Its probably not ideal for stability or anything but like I said I'm selfish :laugh:

Giselle

Medalist
T/M is frustrating. The lp last season was dreadful but this season's is ridiculous- not only is it too literal, it doesn't make sense. I feel like their talent is being wasted under Mozer. They've improved technically since their junior days under Robin, but the Team Mozer packaging is not doing them favors. I wish they'd move to Dmitriev or Vasiliev instead(I think Moskvina would be great for them stylistically, but I'm not sure how much longer she plans to coach, especially since T/M are fairly young).
And yes, Evgenia needs to go back to her red hair; the blond washes her out and is not helping matters...

The thing is that IMO they're the only team with a bland program in Mozer's camp. Even Z/E have programs that suits them and their strenghts. At this rate even Morozov's recycled choreography would be better than what they have. With their names, they should totally be coached by Tarasova and choreographed by Morozov :biggrin:

More seriously, I would love to see them work with someone like David Wilson on a SP and Marina Zueva for the LP. They strike me as a very "Moscow" Pair (matchy matchy) not Saint Petersburg.

Giselle

Medalist
I wonder what kind of music would suit T/M? I've a hard time pinpointing in my mind what would be really "them". Thoughts?

ETA - Hmmm.... How would this work?

False King
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H25iM7eRiIQ

It would work if they improve their interpretation skills otherwise it would fall flat like this year's Lord of the Dance IMO.

Something like this would work for a SP.
If we stay with overused music I would say: Die Fledermaus, Rachmaninoff, Giselle, Abel Korzeniowski Sountracks like R&J or W.E

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
It would work if they improve their interpretation skills otherwise it would fall flat like this year's Lord of the Dance IMO.
hmm I like LotD (when they're clean obv)
But it would have been better if she was a redhead esp in this dance:biggrin:

Abel will suit them!

LRK

Record Breaker

Something like this would work for a SP.
If we stay with overused music I would say: Die Fledermaus, Rachmaninoff, Giselle, Abel Korzeniowski Sountracks like R&J or W.E

Something softer? More along these lines?

After the Fall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSH-_ScN6G0

Or is this still too "strong"?

Colors of Love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M43fUgBw4vQ

Hope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_OEMlyrEkw

Just pottering about trying to get a "sense" of them.:) Generally I have a "feel" for what I think would suit skaters, but with them I haven't been able to pinpoint anything. I do think they need something to challenge them to bring out better interpretation. I actually like their current SP, but I just feel they are holding back. I'd like to see them... cut loose.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm so happy for S/B's silver at Canadians! They are definitely on the rise and are getting close enough to catch D/R. I say this as a D/R fan. Speaking of them, I hope D/R can get their **** together in time for 4CC and worlds. I'm not so sure I can see them winning this year, but getting on the podium is possible. I'll be interesting to watch the top European teams at euros next week to see S/K and V/T finally square off. I'm also excited to Savchenko and Massot and where they fit into the equation.

monwara

Rinkside
I heard from other webboard that S/K withdrawn from European as shoulder injury from training. Unbelievable

Sugarpova

Record Breaker
well moriel & I got our wish but at what cost:sad21::eeking:

Dont get me wrong Im sad but....
Go A/R!!!!!:love: again they got into the comp by luck.
Hopefully next year they will get great results to be on the team not as substitutes but rightful participants

tulosai

Record Breaker
I am never happy to hear about injuries in this sport but I am overjoyed for A/R! I think they are such an inventive and original couple and will be really happy to see them there! I do hope Fedor will recover fully for Worlds.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
God, with Stolbova/Klimov withdrawal I want to bury myself in a deep black hole for this week...Pairs will be awful, ugh (I already cringe at scores Volosozhar/Trankov will receive...), ladies will be hmmmmm (Elena, pls win this for me), Ice Dance will be pure telenovela from Venesuela (with all sorts of drama in between) and men I don't even want to start...

:drama::hopelessness:

EDIT - and it looks like we'll have a hospital at Worlds instead of clash of titans like we wanted and expected...

Last edited:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Well, I'm really excited abour the pairs event. First euros for A/R and we'll see how it's going to be between S/M and V/T, I think we're in for a treat.

Sugarpova

Record Breaker
bb Yuko is smiley
Great ppl from K/S VK group went to the hospital to wish her speedy recovery & brought gifts:thumbsup: !

If you have a VK account u can send well wishes here!
https://vk.com/topic-2004350_32921455

I dont have but will have to register for this reason.
Glad to see her smiling & laughing!:love:
Everything WILL be alright!

Last edited:

s_parks

Record Breaker
Obviously unfortunate with all the injuries, but happy that A/R are getting a chance to compete at Euros. Speedy recovery to ksenia so we can have a more exciting showdown at worlds!

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Russia has so many great pairs teams and I want all of them to get a chance to compete at the big events. After all the experience will only make them stronger ;) I'm thrilled that they are but not this way :(

LRK

Record Breaker
bb Yuko is smiley
Great ppl from K/S VK group went to the hospital to wish her speedy recovery & brought gifts:thumbsup: !

If you have a VK account u can send well wishes here!
https://vk.com/topic-2004350_32921455

I dont have but will have to register for this reason.
Glad to see her smiling & laughing!:love:
Everything WILL be alright!

Tell them how much we love them, and that we wish her all the best & it's great to see her lovely smile!

moriel

Record Breaker
well moriel & I got our wish but at what cost:sad21::eeking:

Dont get me wrong Im sad but....
Go A/R!!!!!:love: again they got into the comp by luck.
Hopefully next year they will get great results to be on the team not as substitutes but rightful participants

Ugh we should stop wishing stuff =/
But then dunno, good for A/R, hope they grab this chance and medal on euros =)