Bunga Pads Ankle Sleeves: Worth the money? | Golden Skate

Bunga Pads Ankle Sleeves: Worth the money?

juliek

Spectator
Hi everyone!

Lately I've been having a lot of problems with blisters above my ankles. It seems like the tongue of my skates excoriates my skin to the point I get scars.
My friend recommended Bunga Pads' Ankle Sleeves to me, but I find them very expensive. In Germany they are about 20€ per sleeve.
Before buying them I would really like to know if they are worth the money - or are there any cheaper alternatives?

Thanks for your help, have a lovely day!

Babbette1

On the Ice
Well the gel sleeves are reliable for what you want. It's basically a cloth backed medical gel known as akton gel.
However, if you can go to your doctor and show him what's happening, he might be able to recommend what ever the German version of akton gel is. It's just a stable medical gel to prevent blisters on patients who are in wheelchairs or on extended bed rest.

You may want to try using something else. A small piece of thin yoga mat might work. Also you might try not tying the top hooks.

BTW, I don't know how much you skate, but this is a common problem.

sneakypie

Rinkside
You could try the gel pads they sell for high heels. Depending on the size of the area either the ones for the heel or the front of the shoe. They cost about 2,50 per pair and are reusable for any part of the boot that is putting pressure on things it shouldn't. The ones from dm are very soft, Rossmann has rather firm ones and essence is somewhere in between, whatever you think would be best for your boot/skating style/personal aversion to squishy things.

You could also try to describe bunga pads at the pharmacy and see if they have something like that, but that probably won't be cheaper. If there is a similar medical product, your doctor may be able to write a prescription for it.
If you do go to a pharmacy let me know what you find out. I have been thinking about getting those sleeves too, but so far the price has scared me off.

double_flip

Rinkside
I'd say yes - they last a very long time. I've tried various other options and nothing works as well. For me they are the most necessary piece of equipment...apart from skates of course.

penguin

On the Ice
They are worth it and exactly what you want for your problem. You can do with only buying one though -- they're longer than necessary and you can cut it in half to use one half on each ankle. Everyone I know who uses them does it this way.

Loops

Rinkside
They aren't that much cheaper in the US, I don't think. I wear gel sleeves, and they certainly aren't. I'm in France and found this site out of the uk.....it's the best price on gel sleeves, the brand is silipos, and other protection paraphernalia (such as foam and akton gel) that I've yet found over here:

http://www.vivomed.com/en/Silipos-Gel-Tubing---Ribbed/m-7776.aspx

You'd want the wide format. They're 22€, so maybe you can do better. Amazon often surprises me.....

Mattieu

Medalist
Yes, very worth it! the 5" ankle ones are great, they've saved my ankles, especially from new boots over the years.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Definitely. I got them to break in my current skates and I won't skate without them anymore.

vlaurend

Final Flight
They are ABSOLUTELY worth it!! They will fix your problem (although it will take awhile to heal) and keep your lacebite from returning. Even though my boots are 3 years old, I still wear the gel ankle sleeves every time I skate. They last awhile and you can wash them with soap and water or gentle detergent. I actually buy Silipos brand (one long sleeve that I cut in half to make two) since it's a little cheaper. Here it is on the U.S. Amazon site: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JFTW43I/ref=s9_dcbhz_bw_d0_g121_i1_sh

Last edited:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
They are ABSOLUTELY worth it!! They will fix your problem (although it will take awhile to heal) and keep your lacebite from returning. Even though my boots are 3 years old, I still wear the gel ankle sleeves every time I skate. They last awhile and you can wash them with soap and water or gentle detergent. I actually buy Silipos brand (one long sleeve that I cut in half to make two) since it's a little cheaper. Here it is on the U.S. Amazon site: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JFTW43I/ref=s9_dcbhz_bw_d0_g121_i1_sh

Hi, could you clarify the construction for me? They are supposed to be filled with gel; yet, you are supposed to be able to cut them to size. What keeps the gel from leaking out? Is the gel trapped in micropores? Thanks.

vlaurend

Final Flight
Hi, could you clarify the construction for me? They are supposed to be filled with gel; yet, you are supposed to be able to cut them to size. What keeps the gel from leaking out? Is the gel trapped in micropores? Thanks.

It's not liquid. the "gel" is latex, I think.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It's not liquid. the "gel" is latex, I think.

[[Edit to delete first reply: Thanks. That makes more sense.]] I just checked the manufacturer's website. The gel is a liquid: mineral oil for their regular line and triglyceride for their advanced line. A layer of fabric is impregnated with the gel, and the gel is supposed to be transferred to the skin. The product is stated to be latex free in fact.

This has me totally confused. The product is supposed to be washable and reusable. I would assume washing would remove at least some of the gel each time. Do you replenish the mineral oil after washing?

Also, is this designed to be worn directly against the skin, with stockings or socks over it? Is the gel only on the inside, against the skin, so it doesn't soak into the socks? Does it feel oily (at least inside) when you touch it? I was thinking of wearing it over my socks to provide extra cushioning, so the top of my boot won't rough up my shin as much. Not sure that will work.

Last edited:

christy

On the Ice
I wear them against my skin but have friends who wear them over socks. I've tried to wear them over my socks but it feels different. I don't think it really matters, it's just whatever works for you. When I tried them over my socks I didn't notice any gel soaking into the socks, and I've never noticed anything on my skin either.
Gel is on the inside and there's a cotton-y type material on the outside.

penguin

On the Ice
They are washable and don't feel oily or transfer anything else to your skin. You can cut them without anything leaking because the gel is firm and holds shape. Think like a gummy bear that you cut into -- it doesn't ooze out, it stays put.

vlaurend

Final Flight
[[Edit to delete first reply: Thanks. That makes more sense.]] I just checked the manufacturer's website. The gel is a liquid: mineral oil for their regular line and triglyceride for their advanced line. A layer of fabric is impregnated with the gel, and the gel is supposed to be transferred to the skin. The product is stated to be latex free in fact.

This has me totally confused. The product is supposed to be washable and reusable. I would assume washing would remove at least some of the gel each time. Do you replenish the mineral oil after washing?

Also, is this designed to be worn directly against the skin, with stockings or socks over it? Is the gel only on the inside, against the skin, so it doesn't soak into the socks? Does it feel oily (at least inside) when you touch it? I was thinking of wearing it over my socks to provide extra cushioning, so the top of my boot won't rough up my shin as much. Not sure that will work.

Good to know it's not latex, since some people are allergic. "Gummi bear" is a good analogy to the texture of the gel. It is not viscous at all; it's rubbery. I wear the gel side against my skin, under my sock. http://www.shop.kinziescloset.com/images/Silipos.jpg

Last edited: