Comments on how to improve NBC's coverage. | Golden Skate

Comments on how to improve NBC's coverage.

heyang

Record Breaker
I put this here to discuss how the media could improve their content vs discussing results.

Since I live in NJ, local storm coverage pre-empted the broadcast on Saturday afternoon. I did manage to watch via NBC Sports live website. Not sure why all the major networks had to over the storm all day since travel was banned by 4pm and there really wasn't much else to say at that point.

Fortunately, I was able to watch broadcast in the evening. If I was a casual viewer, I probably would've change channels during the 2nd hour of the broadcast. The ladies in positions 7-12 did not skate very well and there was no way any of them were going to land on the podium. (Note: this is nothing against these ladies. Even during the height of ice skating's popularity in the US, I can recall friends commenting on the falls that typically occur in this group and the lack of 'something' that made this less interesting for the casual viewer.)

I think NBC should've rebroadcast the long programs of the top 2 pairs and the free dance of the top 3 dance teams during the 2nd hour. Many of them were wonderful and it would've been a way to promote the 2 disciplines, especially dance.

The 2nd improvement would be to discuss the possible points. The broadcast showed what the skater earned for each element (usually while he/she was performing another, which can be confusing.) but not what the element was worth. So, was 4.92 for a combination spin 4 the most that could've been earned, average, or low. the casual viewer would not have known. It would help to know the base value for the element and the 'high' value to be able to compare against the earned value.

Amei

Record Breaker
I think the broadcast should focus more on Ice Dance this is where (from what little follow Ice Dance) the US is actually very competitive on the worlds stage.

I put this here to discuss how the media could improve their content vs discussing results.

The 2nd improvement would be to discuss the possible points. The broadcast showed what the skater earned for each element (usually while he/she was performing another, which can be confusing.) but not what the element was worth. So, was 4.92 for a combination spin 4 the most that could've been earned, average, or low. the casual viewer would not have known. It would help to know the base value for the element and the 'high' value to be able to compare against the earned value.

I liked what they did last night of showing the value of the elements and also having the yellow dots on the elements indicating that jumps were under review. I wish they could work it to show what the skater actually got for each element after the scores came up. Maybe what they could do is have a post-skate recap of the top 3 at least to help casual fans understand the scoring system.

GF2445

Record Breaker
This year, they really improved the coverage. The scoring bug is certainly somethings that is very helpful to casual viewers. I liked it how on that scoring bug, they changed from writing something like 3Lz tp 3 Lutz. Formthey lay viewer it makes sense.
Also, kudos for all the fluff pieces. They are dramatic as ever. Its like watching reality tv.

I mean, this years ratings were strong (sort of) in comparison to other tv programs that night (i think they were only beaten by the snow storm news coverage), but if they want to get the 18-49 viewership (it was 0.6/2) they will need to make sure they advertise the event to this age group better- as well as maybe pay youtube to get a youtube ad or get a popup ad on websites as well. Get creative.

With the coverage they are currently showing, i cant complain too much. If they could add anything, I would love them to be able to show some of the pairs SP or ice dance SD. Even if its the top pair and the top 2-3 short dances.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I think the broadcast should focus more on Ice Dance this is where (from what little follow Ice Dance) the US is actually very competitive on the worlds stage.

I liked what they did last night of showing the value of the elements and also having the yellow dots on the elements indicating that jumps were under review. I wish they could work it to show what the skater actually got for each element after the scores came up. Maybe what they could do is have a post-skate recap of the top 3 at least to help casual fans understand the scoring system.

That was actually the intention of the scoring bug (to show a list of what the skater actially did and the points they earned) but for some reason, it fell off.

RABID

Final Flight

Since I live in NJ, local storm coverage pre-empted the broadcast on Saturday afternoon. I did manage to watch via NBC Sports live website. Not sure why all the major networks had to over the storm all day since travel was banned by 4pm and there really wasn't much else to say at that point.

Fortunately, I was able to watch broadcast in the evening. If I was a casual viewer, I probably would've change channels during the 2nd hour of the broadcast. The ladies in positions 7-12 did not skate very well and there was no way any of them were going to land on the podium. (Note: this is nothing against these ladies. Even during the height of ice skating's popularity in the US, I can recall friends commenting on the falls that typically occur in this group and the lack of 'something' that made this less interesting for the casual viewer.)

I think NBC should've rebroadcast the long programs of the top 2 pairs and the free dance of the top 3 dance teams during the 2nd hour. Many of them were wonderful and it would've been a way to promote the 2 disciplines, especially dance.

One thing I would really like is when a skater is having a particularly great skate and it is obvious to all, that the announcers ease off talking or even be quiet for awhile and just let us enjoy. I had to turn the sound off a couple of times because I found Tara's voice distracting at times and of course that then turned off ALL the sound; not a good thing. :frown:

theoreticalgirl

Rinkside
Just a note on the broadcast: If you were watching with an Over-The-Air (OTA) signal, NBC bumped the coverage to its secondary digital station due to the non-stop coverage of the storm. Something to keep in mind for other folks who don't own cable, but still have an antenna, should scheduled events get interrupted.

I don't agree that coverage this year was bad. If anything, NBC's really done a better job at de-mystifying the scoring intricacies with the implementation of the scoring bug combined with the qualitative aspect of commentators. I know my non-skating friends who watched along with me found the bug helpful. I still think the judging system stinks, but I know that more of my friends understood it thanks to the better presentation.

It's really not on NBC to make the dull skaters more exciting. I think Johnny Weir put it well last night that at Nationals, it's no longer enough to just do the program–one has to perform. Skaters need to be better trained in this regard, and what broadcasting more skaters shows is that they're not. I really hope skaters that landed at the bottom of their disciplines take the time to watch their work, and maybe consider some theater classes as a critical component of their training.

My only real complaint was the really shoddy transitions between Ice Network and NBC coverage. Anyone else notice that Carly Gold's LP was cut off mid-point to switch over to the broadcast?

sowcow

On the Ice
I liked what they did last night of showing the value of the elements and also having the yellow dots on the elements indicating that jumps were under review.

Did anyone else have problems distinguishing the white dots 💿 from the yellow dots 📀 ??
Quiz: how many 'yellow' dots:

💿 📀 💿 💿 💿 📀 💿 📀 💿 💿 💿 💿 📀 📀

(a) 4
(b) 6
(c) 5
(d) none of the above

I'd recommend a slightly higher contrasting colour (or color for my American friends) than the current yellow. Not necessarily a bright red (too distracting; will draw your eye away from the on-screen action), but maybe a light orange or pink?

(ɔ) :ɹǝʍsuɐ

Last edited:

aqua70

Rinkside
I agree with the other posters in that the coverage this season has been pretty good. We're getting to see all 6 Grand Prix events, the GPF, U.S. nationals, Europeans, 4CC, & Worlds, which is an improvement from when some of these events were not shown at all.

Only 3 recommendations though-- make the scoring bug a little bigger. I've had such a hard time reading the tiny print throughout Nationals that I've had to squint my eyes to see anything--to alone those dots! Also, offer streaming options for fans who want to see the whole competition. They have Sports Live & a YouTube channel. Finally, for someone who isn't into ice dance or pairs but would like to know more about it, if whomever is commentating on it can explains all of the required elements more, it might help boost interest in those disciplines; right now, I can't tell how/if team A is better than team B. They both look good to me!

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I think NBC made a lot of improvement.

But if skating wants to be saved it has to happen on the ice and in the judges booth. NBC can only do so much and they did that by adding the scoring bug and allowing the commentary to be more open and less restrictive. I'm not sure what else they can do that would dramatically make a difference.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Did anyone else have problems distinguishing the white dots 💿 from the yellow dots 📀 ??

Who's brilliant idea was it to make the dots the size of the head of a pen? I have a hard enough time seeing the yellow dots on an HD TV. Don't they know most people are watching low res videos online (including IN)?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Did anyone else have problems distinguishing the white dots 💿 from the yellow dots 📀 ??]

I did, had terrible trouble with it and gave up. I liked the numbers, though. Right up until I didn't like what the numbers had to tell me.

How to best improve the NBC coverage? Whoops, did I just shove a sock in Weir's mouth? Sorrynotsorry.

Laurelise

On the Ice
I'd recommend a slightly higher contrasting colour (or color for my American friends) than the current yellow. Not necessarily a bright red (too distracting; will draw your eye away from the on-screen action), but maybe a light orange or pink?

Agreed. I had a hard time seeing the yellow dots, too, and would prefer a higher-contrast color (orange or pink sounds good). Either that, or replace the dots with stars or something for elements under review. Otherwise, I really liked the live scoring thingy.

I'll admit that Tara really annoys me and it seems like Terry eggs her on sometimes (I scramble for the mute button every time Terry starts with "Tara, when you were fifteen and competing at Worlds/Olympics/Nationals...). It's worth noting that my mother, who was watching with me doesn't remember Tara as a competitive skater and found her at least as irritating as I did. She's not a die-hard skating fan but enjoys it quite a bit. Johnny's not so bad, but frankly I found the NBC commentary more distracting than helpful (except Tanith. Tanith rules!).

Otherwise, my only complaint is that they embargo whole groups of skaters. If you aren't going to show the second group of dance, for example, let IceNewtork show it! I'm willing to bet that most of us with IceNetwork subscriptions had already seen the ladies they showed instead, and I at least turned off NBC so I could listen to the Skate Radio stream of dance that I didn't see. Do they really capture enough audience to make it worth it?

Oh, and I wish the Mountain Time evening broadcast could have either started an hour earlier to show the ladies live, or showed the ladies live when it started at 7 and then put the men's free package afterward. There are probably reasons why that wouldn't work, though, and I'd rather have it an hour late than... even later, or not at all, or whatever the alternative would be.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I did, had terrible trouble with it and gave up. I liked the numbers, though. Right up until I didn't like what the numbers had to tell me.

How to best improve the NBC coverage? Whoops, did I just shove a sock in Weir's mouth? Sorrynotsorry.

I can see we were not a fan of Mr. Weir's commentary :laugh: Care to elaborate?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I was surprised and found it refreshing that Johnny and Tara were willing to criticize the judging and the potential of putting Jason on the team.

noskates

Record Breaker
The only way I see to improve it is to have more of it.

And putting a sock in Johnny's mouth just might bring somebody else like Peter Carruthers back - then we'd REALLY be in misery. I still like Johnny and I think he knows what he's talking about. But to each his own.

shyne

Final Flight

They showed what each skaters got for individual element on ice network. But on NBC, there's something called commercial break so there's no time for the recap :)

CCC

Rinkside
I am thankful for all of the US Nats and GPF coverage from NBC, Ice Network/Ice Desk/Skate Radio, TSL (The Skating Lesson). Especially, let's thank the Figure Skating Sponsors! Without them, NBC coverage would not have even been possible.

Still not a fan of Tara and Johnny, especially when they get too chatty during the performance. I do like when they relay what skaters say about their training and goals, but save the dialogue for the replay and limit comments during the performance - to the Performance!, not have a chat about things that are not even related to the performance.

I do like that they bring in Scott Hamilton for a reality check, for those of us that always loved him.

Agree that the transition between Ice Network and NBC was really chopped up, but still to see Pairs and Dance Live was wonderful.

They did a nice job of quick recaps of Press Conference pics, and some backstage scenes, that provided some of the excitement of the event.

I just hope we never go back to the days when skating was only ever shown on TV for US Nationals, possibly an hour of Europeans, Worlds and Olympics. Again, Thank you to the Figure Skating Sponsors!

CCC

Rinkside
Did anyone use the NBC Prudential LiveScoring at: http://www.nbcsports.com/US-Figure-Skating-Championships ??
This included an element by element Live Score with the +/- and placement/ranking, which was sometimes about 30 seconds ahead of the results posted on the Broadcast. I knew Gracie had won, when the ranking changed on the Live Score, before it was displayed on the broadcast.

I used both the NBC Live Score and the Ice Network Skate Radio. Enjoyed both at different times.

waxel

Final Flight
Johnny and Tara are here to stay. At least through the next Olympic cycle.

I think they're interesting and bring a fresh vibe. I long for Dick Button and Tracy Wilson--- but that's not going to happen.