Can anyone beat a clean Medvedeva? | Page 37 | Golden Skate

Can anyone beat a clean Medvedeva?

Krislite

Medalist
You call that program clean?

Suppose she was clean, would she have beaten Gracie? I don't think so. The judges were clearly determined to put Gracie ahead in this competition.

Home ice advantage is huge and the Russians know that better than anyone.

TheCzar

On the Ice
What was revealing last night was that apart from some expected US inflation, the judges are not caring for gauche skating. Medvedeva was slow, Radionova cautious and in doing so they both skated sloppy. Honestly I thought they were going to cap the scores with Ashley but Gracie was good last night. Lots of sour grapes on social media, but that is the truth. If Russia likes to benefit themselves through 'home cooking' then they were just forced to swallow their own pill by the Americans.

On another note, I was really, REALLY stoked that Pogo skated very well and was rewarded for it. Generously, but it really is obvious that of all the Russian girls, she is the one that skates the most mature. She's still gangly and gauche, but never count her out. Truth be told I much prefer watching her sensual Lolita-esque demeanor than Hongo, and Radionova. Plus her jumps were HUGE. Much much better than Zhenya.

Props to Gabby Daleman, although I have a feeling she may come down after her freeskate. Historically, she's not that great in the long.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Of course not. No one can beat a judges' pet who scores 150.10 in her first senior season (who lacks the ss and mature artistry in comparison to someone like Mao, but still scores 3 points more in pcs) with a clear flutz with +1.50 goe. That tells the story.

MUALover

Rinkside
I think Anna Pogorilyia may be able to beat her in the future. Anna didn't have a lot of reputation coming in - nobody factored in her sudden new found consistency and counted her out. I think with better choreography and some work, Anna could do it.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Medvedeva was the best skater this season with only Anna at her best being a relevant competitor. Hence, no one could beat clean Medvedeva as no one was at the same level of excellence.

Next year is going to be interesting - the year after the winning streak, puberty and so on. It will be more or less clear during Russian test skates. It was clear this year after that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWi9l-4wz7s

And that what I wrote back then and glad that I did not have doubts: "Outside Medvedeva (who is amazing) no one seems ready among the ladies".