Can anyone beat a clean Medvedeva? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Can anyone beat a clean Medvedeva?

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I expected Mao's comeback to be a better story. I agree with you that Mao's overall technical quality has gone down despite the revamped 3A. Among Ashely, Gracie and Mao, Mao has the lowest chance of skating a clean LP, or even just one or two mistakes.
Maybe she didn't find her true passion except for skating yet.

I love Mao, her lp this year to madame butterfly was geniusly choreographed and almost left me with a teardrop..... but I don't think she will make the podium. I don't really understand why she came back. If it's to chase another Olympic Gold medal, that is probably very unlikely, I'm afraid.

mrrice

Record Breaker
"I find it ridiculous however that Gold is considered the main competitor of Evgenia. Seriously?"

You CAN"T be serious.. Gracie has a technically difficult and well choreographed program. She has a legendary Coach and Choreographer and a Host Country advantage. She is most definitely a skater who could defeat Evgenia. BTW, it should never be considered "Ridiculous" that the National Champion of any Country would considered a threat to another skater. Remember when people said Maria Butyrskaya would NEVER beat Michelle Kwan?? Never say never...

rollerblade

Record Breaker
What is Mao's FS base value (I don't even know her actual layout this year). Evgenia still has the highest, I think(?) That basically means no one is beating a clean Medvedeva.

Those infinite 'tanos are irritating (and ugly to boot) but can't really blame her team for blatant point-grab if the system rewards it. Yuzu's Seimei is backloaded too and nobody complained.

Franklin99

Medalist
I expected Mao's comeback to be a better story. I agree with you that Mao's overall technical quality has gone down despite the revamped 3A. Among Ashely, Gracie and Mao, Mao has the lowest chance of skating a clean LP, or even just one or two mistakes.
Maybe she didn't find her true passion except for skating yet.

Come on guys, Mao's comeback was marred with illnesses. Of course it will effect her performances/jumps. Let's give her a chance to get back to 100% before we write her off.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How many girls do 3-3 after the first minute? Gracie starts any program with 3Lz-3T since Sochi - it is always her first element after virtually the same steps at the same place of the rink. Does it not bother anyone especially those who are bothered by Medvedeva's "backloading"? It bothers me as it has nothing to do with choreo and interpretation. Does not she understand it? I bet she does. But I am sure for her to move 3Lz-3T to the second part even of the SP is the risk she is not willing to take. Once again it has nothing to do with making up the programs - it is always the same combo. In fact that's may be the reason I am not so fond of Polina Tsurskaya. She also starts her programs with this combo in the same corner of the rink. But she has an excuse - she is just 14. I think next year she will change that. She has another excuse - she is doing another 3Lz-3T in the second half. Will Gracie stop to open with 3lz-3T? I don't know.

I think it is ok to start with the difficult element as long as other elements are spaced out. If someone is capable of the 3-3 later in the program, fine. The system will reward them. My problem with Evgenia is that every jump in the short program is in the second half. Her choreo is unbalanced. It's like she's just marking time with her easier elements until she gets to the bonus. So far, it's working for her, though, so more power to her.

JackRoast

Rinkside
Who can beat Medvedeva?
Polina Edmunds. She did it in Moscow at the GP. It is not about the points or placement. It's about what and how they both did. The consistency of Medvedeva can't beat Edmunds's consistency, natural grace, and technical quality.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The problem for Gracie is that if she performs a 62 SP, she won't skate in the final group and that would make it very hard to come back because marks are held back for earlier skaters. A pop in the SP would put her behind every Japanese, Russian, and American skater who goes clean.

whatif

Medalist
I agree. Gold is the only one who can come close to 40 and 75 TES marks in each segment and that's what one need to beat Med, if all skate clean. The only way Gold can do it is by skating two clean programmes in one competition. When was the last time that happened?

bixby

Final Flight
I agree. Gold is the only one who can come close to 40 and 75 TES marks in each segment and that's what one need to beat Med, if all skate clean. The only way Gold can do it is by skating two clean programmes in one competition. When was the last time that happened?

It might just happened in Boston when world comes around. You'll never know...

Franklin99

Medalist

How is Gold the only one when Mao clean got more than 42 (in 2014), and can get up to 44 TES in the SP alone.

Last edited:

whatif

Medalist
How is Gold the only one?

Who else? This season she has been the only one. Perhaps Radio? But her GOEs still not there, even when clean they are 1-2 point short. Miyahara needs a sympathetic panel that is blind to her jumps. And Mao this season did not come even close to her potential. So no, I don't see anyone.

- - - Updated - - -

I had a feeling that it will... Evan won in LA and I was there. So very likely for Gracie to be the world champ.

I am rooting...for you.

iskate

On the Ice
Who can beat Medvedeva?
Polina Edmunds. She did it in Moscow at the GP. It is not about the points or placement. It's about what and how they both did. The consistency of Medvedeva can't beat Edmunds's consistency, natural grace, and technical quality.

Wait, what? Radionova is the only one who has beaten Evgenia overall this season. Polina was 4th at Rostelecom Cup, Evgenia was 2nd. Evgenia was ahead of Polina in both the SP and FS (http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1516/gprus2015/index.htm). She was beaten by Radionova and Chartrand in the short, but that was with a fall and that was earlier in the season - as she's been gaining momentum, her components score has been getting steadily higher throughout the season. I'm a bit confused that you say it's "not about the points or placement" - isn't that kind of exactly what it's about? It's easy to subjectively say that your favourite skater is the best, but when it comes down to it, the judges' decision is what really counts.

I really like Polina and her skating (although none of her programs have really grabbed me so far) but she's not going to beat Medvedeva if both go clean. She didn't even win her own national championships (she was very close, but still).

I don't think Medvedeva is unbeatable. If she makes mistakes, she can be beaten. Looking at the scores everyone's received throughout the season, it's very unlikely that Edmunds will beat her, Evgenia has room for a couple of mistakes IMO. I think it's more likely that clean Gracie/Mao(depending on how the judges call her jumps)/Radionova would be above her. But you never know, if Evgenia bombs (as unlikely as that possibility is), anyone could be number one...

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Competing in America is not easy for a 16-year-old girl, not to mention that it will be Medvdeva's first senior Worlds. She is not the shoo-in for the 2016 world title, because Gracie, Miyahara and Mao are all capable of giving full play to their strengths at Worlds and carrying the audience away with their flawless performances. It is too early to make a prediction now.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
But there exists another scenario. If (I hope, it won't happen) Anna bombs the europeans Liza could go the worlds. And if she manages to stop with nonsense she showed so far delivering clean programs with 3As both in short and long, she will be likely a major gold contender.
my preferred scenario :agree::ddevil:

it really should be 2 titles in the thread
'Should anyone beat' & 'Can anyone beat'

ugh Evan mention:palmf: I always cringe when I recall his win

Last edited:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
my preferred scenario :agree::ddevil:

it really should be 2 title in the thread
'Should anyone beat' & 'Can anyone beat'

ugh Evan mention:palmf: I always cringe when I recall his win

I see that many skaters, according this thread, should beat Zhenia. Ridiculous, imo.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Only Asada if she would do perfectly clean programs with good 3A's
Not likely going to happen me thinks :sad21:

mermaid

On the Ice
Country
Belarus
I have no doubt that a clean Gracie will definitely beat a clean Evgenia (due to higher components, mature skating, better edges, etc.)
But to do this Gracie needs to be perfect or almost perfect in both SP and FS. Just like at the Nationals FS :hap10:
As for Asada, I'm not sure about her. I would have given her 3d place.