Virtue and Moir plan return in 16-17 season | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Virtue and Moir plan return in 16-17 season

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
I just don't think it adds to their legacy. I get the feeling they sense a weak field and it is ONLY because of that that they are contemplating a return. I could be wrong but it is my opinion that if they aren't coming back for the singular, sheer joy of skating/performing then what is the point? Just move on with your lives.

I loved them, but I don't want to see them return. I've seen all I've seen with them already. Nothing they do on the ice will impress or excite me anymore. Their story, imo, is complete. It's like Michael Jordan wanting to come back at the age of 50. No :)

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
I think they were incredible but I think the judges have moved on. I really think ice dance at the top levels is all about program preference. I mean sometimes someone drops a leg on a twizzle but the top 6 teams are always amazing skaters. I personally did not think weaver poje fd was anything special or great. I liked them better a few years back. The Shibsibs are adorable and like perfectly matched bookends. I personally think Madison Chock is a beautiful skater well presented. I don't think the judges will shove the top two teams whoever they be aside to give them another medal. But hey they don't have bronze and that is what Torvill and Dean earned. Somehow I doubt they will be back. I'm sure they and Marlie miss the training and the glory days but I doubt either will be back. I think judges see this as a bit greedy. Makes a good topic tho.

I agree. I thought they had stronger programs when they first started out competing against Virtue and Moir. Now, I don't enjoy their programs at all and feel they only win now due to reputation. I also feel judges have moved on with Virtue and Moir, Davis and White....it's all about the young crop of ice dancing skaters now. They are exciting to watch, especially Ponomarenko and Carreira :)....can't wait for them to mature...they are still only both 15 years old!

keasus

On the Ice
I agree. I thought they had stronger programs when they first started out competing against Virtue and Moir. Now, I don't enjoy their programs at all and feel they only win now due to reputation. I also feel judges have moved on with Virtue and Moir, Davis and White....it's all about the young crop of ice dancing skaters now. They are exciting to watch, especially Ponomarenko and Carreira :)....can't wait for them to mature...they are still only both 15 years old!

I am also excited for this young team. I admit that I am biased because Anthony's parents are one of my favorite dance teams ever. I am so glad other skating fans are anticipating their development as much as I am.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
I am also excited for this young team. I admit that I am biased because Anthony's parents are one of my favorite dance teams ever. I am so glad other skating fans are anticipating their development as much as I am.

Haha, I vaguely remember watching his parents Klimova and Ponomarenkos skate, she had that long wavish red hair, I always thought their skating was unique :) I had no idea they had a son who! Anyway, i'm so excited for this team as well. Been following their skating...they got 4th place at US Junior Nationals. Thought they should have gotten at least a bronze, if not silver. I don't know....maybe judges feel they are both not ready yet, after all, both only 15 years age....and Anthony is such a showman, LOL, and Christina is a dancer, and they both LOOK SO GOOD TOGHETHER, and seem to have wonderful chemistry. Can't wait for next year's programs.

keasus

On the Ice
Haha, I vaguely remember watching his parents Klimova and Ponomarenkos skate, she had that long wavish red hair, I always thought their skating was unique :) .

Thanks TopazEmerald. Now I feel positively ancient:laugh2: Seriously, if you haven't seen their free dance from the 1992 Albertville Winter Olympics, do yourself a favor a check it out on YouTube. It's just magical.

I love that fact that Anthony looks so much like his mother, but is a strong male partner like his dad.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Thanks TopazEmerald. Now I feel positively ancient:laugh2: Seriously, if you haven't seen their free dance from the 1992 Albertville Winter Olympics, do yourself a favor a check it out on YouTube. It's just magical.

I love that fact that Anthony looks so much like his mother, but is a strong male partner like his dad.

You are so right about Anthony, LOL!
Just watched Klimova's and Pono's Albertville program.....it was so free and passionate, wow! Hope Anthony and Christina will be just as passionate as they mature! I think American ice dancing is in good hands :)

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
You are so right about Anthony, LOL!
Just watched Klimova's and Pono's Albertville program.....it was so free and passionate, wow! Hope Anthony and Christina will be just as passionate as they mature! I think American ice dancing is in good hands :)

Klimova/Ponomarenko are by far my favorite ice dance team of all time. I did not fully appreciate them as a young skating fan who was first introduced to ice dance thanks to falling in love with Anissina/Peizerat in the 2000s. I actually thought their 1992 masterpiece was boring when I was younger! It was not until later on when I learned what to look for in ice dance and how to appreciate skating skills, holds, skating with the rhythm, patterns, footwork, etc. I started watching their Original Set Patterns (later replaced by the original dance and now the short dance) and Free Dances from 1985-1991 (before their artistic transformation and leaving Natalia Dubova for Tatiana Tarasova) where I realized just how amazing they both were. I really do think that they should have won the 1988 Olympic gold medal. The best thing about them was that they were a team where both partners were pretty equal in skill and their dances showed that off. I do think I personally prefer their Dubova routines to their 1992 one just based on content, but they had to do something like "Air" and adopt that theatrical dramatic style in order to be appreciated at the time where the Duschenays started winning the audiences and the judges.

Sidenote, in case you didn't know, their waltz OSP from 1987 became the Golden Waltz compulsory/pattern dance used today.

Last edited:

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Klimova/Ponomarenko are by far my favorite ice dance team of all time. I did not fully appreciate them as a young skating fan who was first introduced to ice dance thanks to falling in love with Anissina/Peizerat in the 2000s. I actually thought their 1992 masterpiece was boring when I was younger! It was not until later on when I learned what to look for in ice dance and how to appreciate skating skills, holds, skating with the rhythm, patterns, footwork, etc. I started watching their Original Set Patterns (later replaced by the original dance and now the short dance) and Free Dances from 1985-1991 (before their artistic transformation and leaving Natalia Dubova for Tatiana Tarasova) where I realized just how amazing they both were. I really do think that they should have won the 1988 Olympic gold medal. The best thing about them was that they were a team where both partners were pretty equal in skill and their dances showed that off. I do think I personally prefer their Dubova routines to their 1992 one just based on content, but they had to do something like "Air" and adopt that theatrical dramatic style in order to be appreciated at the time where the Duschenays started winning the audiences and the judges.

Sidenote, in case you didn't know, their waltz OSP from 1987 became the Golden Waltz compulsory/pattern dance used today.

Just watched their 1988 olympic FD program to the beatles. I must say I enjoyed that one even more than their 1992 fd program. They just have a connection, a unison, a very passionate couple. It helped that they were married too. I wonder how old they were in 1988?

No, I didn't know their waltz osp from 1987 became the golden waltz! Just watched it:) though the video quality is bad.
I think Klimova and ponomarenko were the first ice dancing pair I saw on tv, although at the time, I was still quite young, but I do remember them! So like you, I did not appreciate their dance like I do now. I remember more of Grishuk and Platov and really liked them at first, but then they split up due to that scandal, remember? I couldn't see it at the time, but now when I watch their videos, something about them seemed cold, like they weren't really connecting with each other.

RABID

Final Flight
What makes yuna's so called pr reason so wonderful for coming back. It really is always about the skater it isn't about their nation , some inspiration of a close friend or family member, it is not for the joy of skating its about "me"

Well, she only went to one Olympics, she apparently wanted other Koreans ladies to experience the Olympics with her as well and she felt she had unfinished business what with her feeling burnt out after 2010. At least that's my sense of it. Listen, next to Yuna, Tessa and Scott are my favorite skaters and believe me I would enjoy seeing them perform (and I wouldn't care if they medaled or not). But as a Canadian I like to think that they don't NEED to come back; that their place in figure skating lore is as being among the greatest ever and that they don't need to to validate their career further. Also my hope is that they don't now need figure skating to validate themselves.

jcoates

Medalist
I wonder how old they were in 1988?

Klimova was 17 and Ponomarenko was 23 at the 84 Olympics. They married in the fall of that year after she turned 18. So they were 21 and 27 in 88.

Since you are looking up their old programs, here is what looks like their first competition covered by American television in 82 when she would have been 15 or 16 ( but doesn't look it at all).

1982 Ennia Cup https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ow8xSHGvT8

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Well, she only went to one Olympics, she apparently wanted other Koreans ladies to experience the Olympics with her as well and she felt she had unfinished business what with her feeling burnt out after 2010. At least that's my sense of it. Listen, next to Yuna, Tessa and Scott are my favorite skaters and believe me I would enjoy seeing them perform (and I wouldn't care if they medaled or not). But as a Canadian I like to think that they don't NEED to come back; that their place in figure skating lore is as being among the greatest ever and that they don't need to to validate their career further. Also my hope is that they don't now need figure skating to validate themselves.

I would be for them coming back only if Scott skates with Meryl and Charlie skates with Tessa, LOL :) I always wondered what it would be like to see them switch partners. But I don't think they will ever skate with anyone else, haha :)

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Klimova was 17 and Ponomarenko was 23 at the 84 Olympics. They married in the fall of that year after she turned 18. So they were 21 and 27 in 88.

Since you are looking up their old programs, here is what looks like their first competition covered by American television in 82 when she would have been 15 or 16 ( but doesn't look it at all).

1982 Ennia Cup https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ow8xSHGvT8

Oh heck no! 15 years old? Just watched it. She does not look 15. They really do have a unison and chemistry. If she was 15, then he was 21.....guess they were dating at that time? She sure was very mature for her age :) And they are still together, good for them, and have a son who's skating, impressive.

RABID

Final Flight
I would be for them coming back only if Scott skates with Meryl and Charlie skates with Tessa, LOL :) I always wondered what it would be like to see them switch partners. But I don't think they will ever skate with anyone else, haha :)

Sacrilege!!:laugh:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
If V/M do come back it would be interesting to see what happens with W/P. Are the judges going to put 2 Canadian teams on the podium because the judges seem to like spreading it out country wise.

If I were W/P I would be a little miffed about it because they will be hurt reputation wise and I'm sure they know that (no matter what they publically say). They waited their turn and now their time isn't going to happen.
I agree in some ways but really one can argue that Belbin and Agosto should be miffed because how arguably they were unceremoniously dumped for Davis and White. The Shibs were constantly dumped. two Russian pairs team got dumped for G and G and Artur and his partner. This also affected Brasseur and Eisler. And I believe the German 2015 champs are paying the price for the Savchenko and her partner. Kostner's return will cost an Italian lady a chance and the list goes on. Life isn't fair. Everyone is out for themselves.

Giselle

Medalist
I would love to see V/M comeback purely because I've always wondered what they could do with a coach that's not Igor/Marina.

Botan

Rinkside
I agree in some ways but really one can argue that Belbin and Agosto should be miffed because how arguably they were unceremoniously dumped for Davis and White. The Shibs were constantly dumped. two Russian pairs team got dumped for G and G and Artur and his partner. This also affected Brasseur and Eisler. And I believe the German 2015 champs are paying the price for the Savchenko and her partner. Kostner's return will cost an Italian lady a chance and the list goes on. Life isn't fair. Everyone is out for themselves.

But a sport isn't supposed to be about teams that waited their turn long enough, it's supposed to be about the best teams. Nobody's chances are stolen by somebody else it just so happens that better teams come along who deserve it to make it to the Olympics/worlds.
Teams that are " dumped " only have themselves to blame if they can't keep up with a superior team.
I don't want to see mediocre skaters just because they have been around for a while when there are better and more deserving skaters out there.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
I love V/M but it's boring to have 1 established leader & everyone else:slink:
Now at least its unpredictable

Last edited: