Summer Olympics - Question | Golden Skate

Summer Olympics - Question

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
What sports are at teh Summer Olympics... I know there's the track, and the poll vault, swimming and diving, and equestrian, and Gymnastics... am I missing any? and what do all of those sports have... like Gymnastics what events do they do...same with swimming and diving...

if that makes sense

I asked dad and he just looked at me like he didn't recognize me LOL

bronxgirl

Medalist
The equestrian events are:
dressage (team and individual)
jumping (team and individual )
3-day eventing (team and individual)
Eventing like its name implies combines dressage, cross country jumping, and stadium jumping. (In the Olympics it ususally takes 4 days for this event to run)
Team refers to the country's team, no synchronized horses :)

Other Olympic events include sports as diverse as tennis, basketball, baseball, field hockey soccer, rhythmic gymnastics (not the same thing as the gymnastics most people here in the states think of),bicycle racing, archery, target shooting, and I'm only scratching the surface I'm sure.

Last edited:

mariana

On the Ice
Volley Ball, a lot of sailing events, soccer, table tennis, badmington, box...

Last edited:

icenut84

Final Flight
Tonichelle said:
and what do all of those sports have... like Gymnastics what events do they do...same with swimming and diving...

Gymnastics:

Women - four apparatus. Floor, beam, vault, uneven bars.
Men - six apparatus. Floor, vault, parallel bars, high bar, pommel horse, rings.

I believe there's a competition for each individual event (e.g you can become Olympic champion on the uneven bars), and an all-around title (which means you've got the highest score over all the apparatus you compete on). There might also be a "team" title, but I'm not positive about that one. So there's several chances for someone to win a medal.

Rhythmic gymnastics is a different event altogether. I believe there's 4 types of apparatus - the ribbon, the ball, the hoop, and I forget the other one. I'm not sure of the way that competition is worked out though.

I don't know about diving, but in swimming there are various races of different lengths (e.g. 50 metres, 100 metres, etc) and different strokes (e.g. front crawl/freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly), plus relay races.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
The other event in rhythmic gymnastics is the club (looks like a bowling pin) at least that's what I think it's called.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
wow! very cool, I guess I should have paid attention Freshman year in gym when we went over all this :laugh:

A.H.Black

Final Flight
OK - let me take a stab at this. Others can fill out my list with the sports I miss. I am just doing the overall sports.

Track and Field
Swimming
Diving
Synchronized swimming.
Artistic Gymnastics
Rhythmic Gymnastics
Trampoline
Volleyball
Soccer
Baseball
Softball
Tennis
Basketball
Wrestling
Weight Lifting
Fencing
Pentathlon
Equestrian
Water Polo
Boxing
Field Hockey
Table Tennis
Badminton
Handball
Judo
Archery
Target Shooting
Yachting
Rowing
Kayaking
Canoeing

I know there are more. I'll update as I think of them.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
I believe this upcoming summer Olympics will include:

Aquatics (swimming, diving)
Archery
Athletics (track and field events)
Badminton
Baseball
Basketball
Boxing
Canoe / kayak
Cycling
Equestrian
Fencing
Football (soccer, here in the US)
Gymnastics
Handball
Hockey (field hockey)
Judo
Modern Pentathlon
Rowing
Sailing
Shooting
Softball
Table Tennis
Taekwondo
Tennis
Triathlon
Volleyball
Weightlifting
Wrestling

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Piel said:
Weren't they considering adding ballroom dancing?

That was before the Sydney games as competitive ballroom dancing is very popular in Australia. I don't know what happened. It isn't in the Olympics.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
There are lots of sports that are under consideration for the Olympics, ballroom was one of them. I think I remember they decided not to accept it, but I might be wrong.