Rhythmic Gymnastics Help Needed | Golden Skate

Rhythmic Gymnastics Help Needed

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Do any of you know much about rhythmic gymnatics? It is one of the summer olympic sports that we want to offer at summer day camp the last week of July. I am not hving much luck finding an instructor or very much information about the sport. I think the girls would really enjoy learning a little about it and it is much safer than regular gymnastics. Even if it's just some tricks with the ribbon wand I will be happy. Thanks! :)

lulu

Final Flight
Hi Piel,

Have you tried http://www.rsg.net ?

It includes the largest RG messageboard on the web (that I know of at least) and someone there might be able to give you more information about setting up a program. It also includes a good size "information" section-that includes rules & regulations about each of the apparatuses & a listing of previous world, european championship results from the 1960s to the present day.

You might also want to try http://www.gymnworld.de it is probably the largest gymnastics messageboard on the web-and it has an RG section, and you may want to ask some people there.

Good luck-and tell us how your plans went!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I found a wonderful book "How to Teach Rhythmic Gymnastics - a Developmentally Appropriate Approach" by Heather C. Palmer of Alberta, Canada. It walks you through all of the steps from opening positions, to basic skills with each apparatus, putting skills together to make a sequence to a complete routine. To give the girls a chance to show off their new skills on the last day of camp we put on a play about "Pandora's Box". Using different colored ribbons the girls represented different things in the play. Black for evil, orange for fire, white for hope. The book even has a section on making your own equipment using a dowel, eye hook, and fishing swivel for the ribbon wands. This was a lifesaver as I found out on the Friday before camp that the ones we had ordered would not be in. So, we made 100 wands in two days. Thank goodness my Mother was here to sew the end of the ribbons for me. They turned out great and the girls loved them. We are thinking of making some to sell as a fundraiser at our town's Fall Festival.

I'm glad your camp was a big success, Piel.:) I bet the girls will look back on it with great memories, for a long time.

I have a question about those ribbons (just in case I want to take up the sport). I assume they are made out of cloth, right? What kind? How wide and long are they? Are they weighted at the end? Because I tried it just with some strips of cloth I had laying around and I couldn't make it do anything.

MM:)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
LOL, MM. You will enjoy the experience even more if you wear something sparkly :laugh: ;) :D !

Ribbon (Sr)
(national & international competitions) 15 and up Length: 6m.The end attached to the stick is folded for 1m.and stitched on both sides.
Width: 4 to 6cm.
Color: All
Material: Satin or similar non starched.
Weight: 35gr min

Ribbon (Jr) or Groups 12 to 14 & Groups Same as above except for length: 5m

Ribbon Stick All Material: Wood or synthetic material.
Shape: Cylindrical- (10cm tape or antislip material grip allowed).
Length: 50 to 60 cm. (including ring)
Diam.: Max 1cm.

Attachment
(Stick) All Material: Thread, nylon, metal and or series of articulated rings.
Length: max 7cm.

The movement comes from the stick. Also, it is important for the swivel attachmnt to move freely so that the ribbon doesn't tangle. The ribbon is folded back on itself and sewed at the stick end to weight it some. The basic movements of the ribbon are easy. Doing them while dancing around and being all "bendy" :eek: OTOH is not. That Katia G. does this while skating is amazing.

Piel

JOHIO2

Medalist
Piel,

That sounds like so much fun for the kids (and adults too, since you were learning about the sport). Now, there is a ready made audience for some r.g. in your town (and maybe someone will keep it going and the US will finally get some rg medalists!)