"Guilty Pleasure" Programs | Golden Skate

"Guilty Pleasure" Programs

GF2445

Record Breaker
What are your favourite 'guilty pleasure' skating programs?
The ones that are so so bad/wrong but are actually so entertaining to watch (or 'so good').

My one for the season is what I consider the TOP karaoke skate of this quadrennial-
Moris Kvitelashvili's SP to "I believe I can fly" and "What is love?"

The choreography (his arm cueing the start of the lyrics, the raising of his arm when the lyrics "I spread my wings" the shimmy, the disco poses, his lunge in the step sequence and the love heart with his hands) and the bad edit in the middle is legendary. If I was on the Russian selection panel, I would've ignored his bad placement at Nationals and sent him to Boston anyway, just so he could skate that SP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MLcXIzcRf4

Last edited:

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Tonya's 1994 Olympic LP. Nothing about it was right and then throwing in the dramatics of the supposedly broken lace, it great car crash stuff. It shouldn't look that easy to make a John Williams piece of music look "bad" but this skate...

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Tonya's 1994 Olympic LP. Nothing about it was right and then throwing in the dramatics of the supposedly broken lace, it great car crash stuff. It shouldn't look that easy to make a John Williams piece of music look "bad" but this skate...
But where was the pleasure? Seeing her fail?
When it comes to Tonya's performances I root for her 1991/92 performances. Definitly guilty pleasure programs, costume, hair style, music choice, head rolls, kung fu kicks, everything. Loved it!

Plushenko also had a couple of guilty pleasure programs. You'd think "no, he didn't just do that" and he was always into it and it always felt so right in the end. :bow:

donezo

On the Ice
So many Tonya programs. Who else would skate to something called "People Are Still Having Sex"??? Not to mention the Batman/Send in the Clowns/Wild Thing combo that won her Nationals in 1991.

Nancy's custom compositions for her short programs are laughable now, but I always like watching those programs. That awkward robotic Scotvold choreography was unlike anything else. I think I still have all of "Born on the Fourth of July" memorized. The thigh rubbing before the footwork is just.....no words.

In more recent years, Elena and Nikita's Ghost program is a big guilty pleasure. Ditto the Isabella Tobias Bond program from Sochi. That part where she pulls the invisible gun out of his pocket. LMAO. Gold.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I never feel guilty for liking what I like. It's all subjective. I enjoy both Moris & Maxim's programs this season & I don't think they are "bad," because they're obviously intended to be light and humorous. OTOH, I could hardly keep myself from laughing during Gracie's "Firebird" at SA...I don't think that one was supposed to be funny. :slink: Other pretentious programs have the same effect. Spoken dialogue is always hilarious...what will be the next movie to start a trend after Titanic and Ghost? They always seem to go for the schmaltziest 20-year-old films, too.

Oh, I suppose Yuko & Sasha's SP this season fits. I loathe the cheesy music & I just don't see them as a romantic pair at all, but it somehow worked.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
OTOH, I could hardly keep myself from laughing during Gracie's "Firebird" at SA...I don't think that one was supposed to be funny. :slink: Other pretentious programs have the same effect. Spoken dialogue is always hilarious...what will be the next movie to start a trend after Titanic and Ghost? They always seem to go for the schmaltziest 20-year-old films, too.

No one went after The Cutting Edge yet? TOE PICK! I also hope some team will dance to the schmaltziest of all - Armageddon.

Gosh, I missed the 90's! (and feel old at the same time)

lyverbird1

Final Flight
But where was the pleasure? Seeing her fail?
When it comes to Tonya's performances I root for her 1991/92 performances. Definitly guilty pleasure programs, costume, hair style, music choice, head rolls, kung fu kicks, everything. Loved it!

Plushenko also had a couple of guilty pleasure programs. You'd think "no, he didn't just do that" and he was always into it and it always felt so right in the end. :bow:

Um, the pleasure is in its awfulness and the car crash quality of it. Kind of like enjoying a bad movie even though you know it's rubbish. Nothing said about enjoying failure!

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Hmm I don't know if it can be considered a guilty pleasure, but I really enjoyed Duhamel/Radford's Muse program. I think it's not a popular opinion here:laugh: