who should skate to SWAN LAKE? | Golden Skate

who should skate to SWAN LAKE?

Taan

On the Ice
i want to see michelle kwan skate to swan lake! it would be a challenge for her but if she wants to skate a program the judges would love, for the 2006 olympics, swan lake is ***it***!!!

euterpe

Medalist
That is the WORST idea I've seen on this board in a long time.

There have been FAR too many skaters doing SL, and as much as I love the Kween, I would NOT like to see her trying it. :sheesh:

NO ONE SHOULD SKATE TO SWAN LAKE. IT'S A BALLET IN FOUR ACTS AND LOOKS BETTER ON POINT THAN IT DOES WITH BLADES.

For those who want to use the music it's ok with me but please don't make like a Swan. Just get some kind of emotion besides a tortured bird. :)

Joe

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Well she did do a lovely job with "Song of the Black Swan" so I'm sure she could handle Swan Lake just fine. I don't think it would be a challenge for her at all. That said, I don't think I'd like to see her do it. I love the music, but its been done too often, especially lately.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't want anyone to skate to it ever again...

at least not for the next 50 years! :(

ouridol

On the Ice
Ugh .I don't think I could stomach another SL anytime soon, no matter who skates to it.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
ITA. "Swan Lake" is one of those compositions that has been done, re-done, overdone, heated up, then served again and do we really need to hear it for the umpteenth time, regardless of what is being done with it?

Every season I wish the ISU would issue their "Don't Go There Again" list consisting of music that the judges have heard so many times that if ONE MORE PERSON goes out there and skates to it, they're going to get an artistic deduction for being "artistically unoriginal" or something along that line. (Sasha, btw, would be a consistent offender -- just once I'd like to see her skate to something that hasn't been done by dozens and dozens before her.)

sk8ing_lady2001

Final Flight
I don't know about anyone else, but I think that Sasha Cohen and Oksana Baiul's Swan Lakes are masterpieces and that no one else can or should try to skate to SL. Just my opinion. :)

lavender

Record Breaker
Oksana's SL is recognized as a masterpiece around the figure skating world but Sasha's is not. Sasha's TT's version is very nice. I thought she had the best program out of the ladies for the season (until she watered it down) but it wasn't considered a masterpiece.

I just hope that's the last of SL but isn't Sasha bringing it back next season?

Last edited:

Lucy25

Final Flight
Sasha's Swan Lake a "masterpiece"? Surely you are joking. The version she skated in the very beginning of the season had the potential to be a great program, but it was ruined a bit more with each competition due to modifications and deletions. I wish we could have seen the TT version after a whole season of run throughs.

On the topic of this thread, I hope to not see another Swan Lake program for many years. Same with Turrandot.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I think Oksana did the definitive interpretation to the music from Swan Lake - it would be pretty difficult for anyone to top her performance.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I would love to see a pair or woman skate to the Act IV pas de deux. The music that few would even recognize as Swan Lake.

I wish Michelle would go back to chosing unusual and totally original music, like she did in the Lori Nichol years. She always brought something new and musically exciting to the table. :love:

Mathman

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
NO ONE SHOULD SKATE TO SWAN LAKE. IT'S A BALLET IN FOUR ACTS AND LOOKS BETTER ON POINT THAN IT DOES WITH BLADES.

For those who want to use the music it's ok with me but please don't make like a Swan. Just get some kind of emotion besides a tortured bird. :)

Joe

on the bandwagon with ya Joe...can we not find something else to skate to? Why does everyone have to pick the same thing? I would think that with the centuries of symphonies and ballets that we could bust out and have some originality. I am thinking: Convince me that it should be skated to. It is like hearing a skater's music who comandeers the sound booth and totures us with their music repeatedly.

diver chick

On the Ice
When I think of all the beautiful music that is at the disposal of these skaters I constantly think why do they have to rehash the same tired old stuff!!

In the movie 'The Cutting Edge' there is a scene where the two are trying to convince each other why their music choice is better and the bit that always sticks in my head is when the guy says something along the lines of Mozart is tired, dozens of skaters are going to be lining up the same boring crap, lets be different, lets kick some ***. Okay I wasn't all that enamoured with the music choice he made but the sentiment is there!! I am tired of people using the same music season after season! Be different, Rachmaninov did not write one symphony, Mozart did not compse one concerto........ Where is the Shostakovic, Berlioz, Grieg, who incidently composed more than just the Peer Gynt suite the list goes on and on!!

Sasha did an excellent job with SL, imo. She did not make like a swan but rather interpreted the music as a concert piece without the ballet story. That, to me is doing the personal job. I think she did exceptionally well with it. Several gold medal sand always a poldium stand. Not bad for a lady skating to SL and not flapping her arms!

I wonder if she is the only one who did not flap the arms?

Joe