who should skate to SWAN LAKE? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

who should skate to SWAN LAKE?

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Tonichelle said:
The Russian Dance team back in the 90s... oh shoot can't remember their names... they were good friends of G&G I think they won gold (or maybe just silver) at the 92 Olys??? anywho not one of my favorite teams, obviously, but they skated to a Mozart(?) piece in a pro competition with this black scarf that portrayed the disease of his dying love it was really neat and I think it portrayed a sort of evil very well... wish more skaters would take the risk.

That would be Marina Klimova and Sergei Ponomarenko and the program was Tchaikovsky's 5th Symphony. I LOVE that program! I was fortunate to see it done live at the 1992/93 Challenge of Champions! :)

berthes ghost

Final Flight
=Mathman To me, the point about Sasha doing "both swans" refers mainly to her costume, not so much to her choreography or execution. I thought the black and white outfit was a knockout. But I can't say that she skated half of the program "good" and the other half "evil."
Then you obviously weren't watching. Mostly, the good swan would start out the program, landing 5 clean triples, then the evil swan would take over and 2 foot the last flip or stumble out of a simple Salchow. Sasha's skating has always been a death-match between good and evil. Even the season as a whole took on the overtones: good Sasha winning GP events, evil Sasha having train wrecks of performances at nats and winter cheesefest. One doesn't need a two-tone outfit in order to see Sasha and her evil twin sister batteling it out on the ice for 4 minutes. :laugh:

hongligl

Final Flight
berthes ghost said:
Then you obviously weren't watching. Mostly, the good swan would start out the program, landing 5 clean triples, then the evil swan would take over and 2 foot the last flip or stumble out of a simple Salchow. Sasha's skating has always been a death-match between good and evil. Even the season as a whole took on the overtones: good Sasha winning GP events, evil Sasha having train wrecks of performances at nats and winter cheesefest. One doesn't need a two-tone outfit in order to see Sasha and her evil twin sister batteling it out on the ice for 4 minutes. :laugh:

That's not nice but pretty funny.
I guess Sasha's problem is still a mental one. During the 04 World, she prepared a long time to get to the starting pose, with a smile on her face which to me very artificial and forced although the commentator said "I already have a good feeling about Sasha just look at her face". The moment she start moving, actually before her head turned away from the camara, the smile was gone along with her peace of mind if it was ever there. She could be such a beautiful skater if she is not with the nerve, as she was in the exhibation.

Back to Swan Lake, I believe it is not easy to skate to a very famous piece of music. Think about that Miki Ando's Carmen. I believe it would be good to skate to something less overused.

Last edited:

euterpe

Medalist
Miki Ando skated to "Firebird" (Stravinsky) not "Carmen" (Bizet). "Firebird" is a terrific piece of music, and the choreography was very good, but Miki lacks the musical sense to make the most of it.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
if someone skates to swan lake, please please please portray the black swan. im tired of just seeing the white swan, or both black and white swans...for once, someone portray the vixen.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Or someone could just portray the lake..... :laugh: Actually, if any one of the stranger French skaters should happen to see this, I've probably just given them an idea...... :rolleye:

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
JonnyCoop said:
Or someone could just portray the lake..... :laugh: Actually, if any one of the stranger French skaters should happen to see this, I've probably just given them an idea...... :rolleye:

Be careful, Jonny LOL. That composer that rearranges the music for the french (Maxim Rodriguez, I believe...) might turn it into a rock guitar arrangement LOL, and we can have Swan Mosh Pit or something :laugh:

Speaking of which, Bond performs an arrangement of the Swan Lake theme in their new album in the song, "Midnight Garden." I must admit, their first two albums were great...this last one is utter crap; especially the Swan Lake arrangement. And they try to sing in it!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
thisthingcalledlove said:
Be careful, Jonny LOL. That composer that rearranges the music for the french (Maxim Rodriguez, I believe...) might turn it into a rock guitar arrangement LOL, and we can have Swan Mosh Pit or something :laugh:

I don't know, Swan Mosh Pit sounds more like a group number; perhaps their precision teams can use it..... :D

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
JonnyCoop said:
I don't know, Swan Mosh Pit sounds more like a group number; perhaps their precision teams can use it..... :D

Or the French Synchro swim team (the ones disqualified from the 96 Olympics for portraying Nazis in their Schindler's list program) can use it LOL

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Yep, whoever draws the short straw is the one who gets passed over the heads of all the others..... :laugh:

hongligl

Final Flight
euterpe said:
Miki Ando skated to "Firebird" (Stravinsky) not "Carmen" (Bizet). "Firebird" is a terrific piece of music, and the choreography was very good, but Miki lacks the musical sense to make the most of it.

She skated to Carmen in the 04 World Gala. The same would apply to her Firebird though.

TRAxel

On the Ice
Country
Canada
In the skating world, Swan Lake should be BURNED... any and all copies!

*I do like the music, but ... well... you know*

rtureck

Final Flight
JonnyCoop said:
Or someone could just portray the lake..... :laugh: . :rolleye:

Here is a report (from GS archive) on Campbells, the very first competition

AnnePatrice : Swan Lake but just Odette in a white costume with a swan a la Borck in her cleavage. Minimal flapping arms. Good but should be better

Sasha: Costume was black and white possibly to denote Odette and Odile. The 3rd Act Swan Lake music suited her style of skating.

AP's program has one swan throughout the season.

Cohen's program: 2 swans at the beginning of the season. At world lp, one of the last competitions, there was no swan and practically all lake.

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
rtureck said:
Cohen's program: 2 swans at the beginning of the season. At world lp, one of the last competitions, there was no swan and practically all lake.

You know, I never thought about that potential re-interpretation of the program. It would explain a lot.

JonnyCoop said:

Don't :laugh: , Johnny Coop - It's not as far fetched as you think. In college Acting Class, we had to pretend we were a casket. So I looked right down to the bottom of my soul to see what I could feel.. I felt nothing. :)

Joe

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Don't :laugh: , Johnny Coop - It's not as far fetched as you think. In college Acting Class, we had to pretend we were a casket. So I looked right down to the bottom of my soul to see what I could feel.. I felt nothing. :)

Joe

HA! Well, it's one thing to do something like that in an acting class, but would we really want to see someone out there for 4 1/2 minutes being a casket? I rather think not. Tho of course this sort of thing would have to be done to Mozart's "Requiem" or Saint-Saen's "Danse Macabre" :D

(Actually, in ice dancing this sort of thing might work if done properly. "Maiden being chased by rambunctious Casket" or some such.... :laugh: )-

4dogknight

Final Flight
Joe isn't
So I looked right down to the bottom of my soul to see what I could feel.. I felt nothing.

A line from a song in the musical "A Chorus Line"? In my mind's eye I can picture the character Diana Morales standing at the end of the line and singing about trying to picture something and the chorus of the song is what you stated above.

Am I remembering correctly or have I lost what little there is left of my mind?

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
And Joe,isn't the title of the song "Nothing"?
Additional trivia: In the original Broadway version Cassie didn't get the job and apparently the audience response was not what they wanted. After a few performances, they made the change and got standing ovations.

And you did know that Bob Fosse's daughter was in the film version.

Back to Swan Lake. After so many years of dance, I really can't stand listening to a lot of the 'ballet' music. When you hear the same music over,and over,and over,and over, etc., day in, day out, year in, year out, you'd rather have root canal than listen to it one more time. I more or less tune out the music when I watch a skater perform to 'ballet' music.

4dk