Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: who should skate to SWAN LAKE?

I wish Michelle would go back to chosing unusual and totally original music, like she did in the Lori Nichol years. She always brought something new and musically exciting to the table.

Mathman

Fan of The Incomparable Sonja Henie Glacierskater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    NO ONE SHOULD SKATE TO SWAN LAKE. IT'S A BALLET IN FOUR ACTS AND LOOKS BETTER ON POINT THAN IT DOES WITH BLADES.

For those who want to use the music it's ok with me but please don't make like a Swan. Just get some kind of emotion besides a tortured bird.

Joe
    on the bandwagon with ya Joe...can we not find something else to skate to? Why does everyone have to pick the same thing? I would think that with the centuries of symphonies and ballets that we could bust out and have some originality. I am thinking: Convince me that it should be skated to. It is like hearing a skater's music who comandeers the sound booth and totures us with their music repeatedly.

Custom Title
    Ditto for me. No one ever again especially Michelle Kwan

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    When I think of all the beautiful music that is at the disposal of these skaters I constantly think why do they have to rehash the same tired old stuff!!

In the movie 'The Cutting Edge' there is a scene where the two are trying to convince each other why their music choice is better and the bit that always sticks in my head is when the guy says something along the lines of Mozart is tired, dozens of skaters are going to be lining up the same boring crap, lets be different, lets kick some ***. Okay I wasn't all that enamoured with the music choice he made but the sentiment is there!! I am tired of people using the same music season after season! Be different, Rachmaninov did not write one symphony, Mozart did not compse one concerto........ Where is the Shostakovic, Berlioz, Grieg, who incidently composed more than just the Peer Gynt suite the list goes on and on!!

Sasha did an excellent job with SL, imo. She did not make like a swan but rather interpreted the music as a concert piece without the ballet story. That, to me is doing the personal job. I think she did exceptionally well with it. Several gold medal sand always a poldium stand. Not bad for a lady skating to SL and not flapping her arms!

I wonder if she is the only one who did not flap the arms?

Joe

Custom Title
    Didn't Sasha flap a little in her footwork? I thought at one point and then took it out.

bugs are smarter than we are bronxgirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by diver chick
    When I think of all the beautiful music that is at the disposal of these skaters I constantly think why do they have to rehash the same tired old stuff!!

In the movie 'The Cutting Edge' there is a scene where the two are trying to convince each other why their music choice is better and the bit that always sticks in my head is when the guy says something along the lines of Mozart is tired, dozens of skaters are going to be lining up the same boring crap, lets be different, lets kick some ***. Okay I wasn't all that enamoured with the music choice he made but the sentiment is there!! I am tired of people using the same music season after season! Be different, Rachmaninov did not write one symphony, Mozart did not compse one concerto........ Where is the Shostakovic, Berlioz, Grieg, who incidently composed more than just the Peer Gynt suite the list goes on and on!!
    ITA!. You'd think that besides a few movie soundtracks and the limited repetoire of the aforementioned classical composers there are no pieces of music fit for skating. Are coaches, choreographers, and skaters that limited that they can think of no other pieces of music to skate to? I'd hate to view their CD collection.

Custom Title
    skatinglady 2001

I don't know about anyone else, but I think that Sasha Cohen and Oksana Baiul's Swan Lakes are masterpieces
    Baiul's SL is a masterpiece. Cohen's is not a masterpiece, not even close.

Sasha did an excellent job with SL, imo. She did not make like a swan but rather interpreted the music as a concert piece without the ballet story.
    That is rather confusing to me, because I read many Cohen fans including skatepixie were telling us that her program was so good because she was portraying both swans. I have never been too impressed with PIT's ballet music as a concert piece. PIT was excellent at melody, as far as orchestration goes, he was OK. But then SL was a ballet, and it was meant to accompany movements, and a story line. Cohen skated well enough for all her placements last season. The only time I thought judges were a bit generous was in skate Canada, I thought Arakawa's lp deserved to be placed ahead. The rest of the times, I thought her placement was fair. If Cohen was skating to a concert piece, why was the original costume filled with feather and swan tail motif?

. Not bad for a lady skating to SL and not flapping her arms!
    I don't believe the excellence of a program is judged by the absence of flapping arm choreography . Some skaters are so exceptional with their expressive arms, e.g. Oksana, and Ota, it is a crime for their choreographers to take out the flapping if they are skating to SL. OTOH, I think some skaters will be wise not to add arm flapping. IIRC you have given us a good assessment of Ota vs Cohen in terms of arms last summer. I think Yukina will be wonderful with arm flapping. I also love Arakawa's flapping with her techno swan program, suit the music so well. Cohen's choreographers TT, and Robin were very smart in not adding arm flap to her program.

wonder if she is the only one who did not flap the arms?

Joe
    Did Fumie flap arms? Anyway some skaters are wise not to. JMHO, arm flapping to SL is like coloratura to bel canto singing (Can't imagine anyone singing casta diva from Norma without it). It is almost mutually inclusive. Some skaters / singers do not do the best job, but that does not mean it shouldn't be done. In case of e.g. AP, I am pleased that she tried. AP's swan lake overall choreography was not stellar, but on the arm flapping part, she did a good job, I don't think e.g. Cohen could flap better than AP. Of course the smart middle of the road approach is to avoid arm flap during SL.
    Last edited by rtureck; 06-24-2004 at 12:05 PM.

Custom Title
    Not bad for a lady skating to SL and not flapping her arms!

I wonder if she is the only one who did not flap the arms?
    I don't think Bonaly flapped in 1996.

I know Butyrskaya had some swan motifs in 1999, but I don't remember whether thye included arm flapping.

A. Y. & E. P.: Tzars Of The Ice, Lords Of The Rink anya_angie's Avatar
    I agree with pretty much everybody. This music has been done to death and so has its story, and JIMHO, swans are big time over-rated. Once you've seen several people skate to the same scene (nearly every skater uses the famous scene) it gets annoying after so many. And I LOVE Tchaikovsky LOL. I prefer Sleeping Beauty to Swan Lake, PBT is doing the ballet in February, and last year they did SL, but I wasn't able to go. This time, I'll go if it kills me. Even if I have to steal a car and drive it myself LOL!!!!

Custom Title
    It would be a nice change to have a break from Swan Lake for at least one year. I bet we see at least one during the Olympic season. I hope it isn't Michelle.

Ladybug

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    I have to say that I think Alexei Urmanov did a very good Swan lake but I still think it is over used music

Well I wouldn't exactly say that Sasha didn't "make like a swan" look at the dress. LOL and there was defintely some arm flapping going on. I distinctly remmber it during the fan sprial and I know it was a few other places as well. But it was still a good program, arm flaps don't make a program bad.

I don't belive that either Fumie or Rudi had arm flaps in thier version of SL.

Custom Title

Flap about Swan Lake

Quote Originally Posted by BravesSkateFan
    I don't belive that either Fumie or Rudi had arm flaps in their version of SL.
    Not sure about Fumie, but Rudi definitely didn't -- he was portraying evil Count Von Rothbart. Though I wonder if he were an eligible now if he would dare attempt interpreting Mathew Bourne's audacious twist on Swan Lake, where the swans are male? http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/swanlake.html

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    The reason why Swan Lake, Turandot, Carmen, etc. are so overused is because they are soooo easy to skate to. You get to be dramatic, angsty, cliched, etc. with music that's easy on the ears in the background, and the judges will claim that you are a true artist.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast