Canadian ladies World Team | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Canadian ladies World Team

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Ultimately, it is going to come to who can perform with consistency including a must have flawless sp. There are about 8 ladies who are in the middle pack and all have struggled putting 2 complete programs together this year. My fear for Gabby is, ...if still injured, that she will compete anyway, as per last year. That would mean the burden rests on one skater alone. I love Alaine's short and she nailed it all season with the exception of 4CC's where she was...off. I hope Alaine finds the same success that she had with her sp, as well as a decent long (no 3a please). Can't ask for much more.

Last edited:

Sackie

Medalist
I wonder if there will be added pressure on Gabby and Alaine in knowing they need to secure two spots so they will have a chance to go to worlds next year. I mean I think the writing is on the wall that if Osmond can get back to old form - which looks like it is coming, she will win back the CAN Title. That was shown in the fact that even though she was not clean in her short at Nationals she still was placed 1st. And that would leave Gabby and Alaine fighting it out for the 2nd spot. And if we only have 1 entry for worlds that will be Osmond.
Also have to keep in mind that this was Alaine's 1st skate as the new CAN Champ, so that might have gotten into her head a little too much at 4CC. Look at last year's worlds where she went in as CAN #2 and placed in the top 12!
And I really hope Gabby only goes to worlds if completely fit enough for it. Cause I think one of the things that keeps these two fighting is the fact that they want to beat the other one. Again at 4CC Alaine did not have Gabby behind her pushing her.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
As I've said before, if Gabby's injury has properly healed by Worlds, I wouldn't be worried. My worry is in case she's not healed and goes to Worlds anyway.

I think that at their best they are both definitely capable of top 12. But both are also inconsistent, and Alaine just showed us just how badly she can place (and it wasn't even really a disaster skate). So if Gabby is still injured (like she was last year), then we essentially have to rely on Alaine for top 12, and that makes me very nervous.

If both are healthy, then even with their inconsistency, I think the odds of one of them making top 12 are high. But those odds go way down if only one is injury free.

EVen if uninjured I think Canada's strongest hope is Chartrand and Osmond. Osmond has the complete package; yes she has had issues this year but she is coming back and appears to be getting stronger. And remember it was almost a dead tie between the three ladies at Canadians. I know Skate C anada already decided and they are trying to be fair but what is fair and what is best for two spots is a different thingit appears here. I rather doubt unless the injury is so bad Gabby will give up her spot. As much as I would like to see Osmond represent Canada I think it is a done deal. GAbby knows her days could be numbered. Maybe she will be motivated to do better because deep down she knows a lot of people are hinking Osmond is the better bet? The only thing another year away is not going to help Osmond's cause.

peg

Medalist
EVen if uninjured I think Canada's strongest hope is Chartrand and Osmond. Osmond has the complete package; yes she has had issues this year but she is coming back and appears to be getting stronger. And remember it was almost a dead tie between the three ladies at Canadians. I know Skate C anada already decided and they are trying to be fair but what is fair and what is best for two spots is a different thingit appears here. I rather doubt unless the injury is so bad Gabby will give up her spot. As much as I would like to see Osmond represent Canada I think it is a done deal. GAbby knows her days could be numbered. Maybe she will be motivated to do better because deep down she knows a lot of people are hinking Osmond is the better bet? The only thing another year away is not going to help Osmond's cause.

I agree completely.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I agree completely.

I think to honest everyone pretty much agrees they'd be the strongest team, even those who nonetheless think it is most fair to send Gabby and Alaine. It really would be too bad to lose the 2nd spot, I'd hate to see only one of the three make it next year.

peg

Medalist
I think to honest everyone pretty much agrees they'd be the strongest team, even those who nonetheless think it is most fair to send Gabby and Alaine. It really would be too bad to lose the 2nd spot, I'd hate to see only one of the three make it next year.

Let's hope that both Alaine and Gabby skate well :yes:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I saw Kaetlyn perform in the Skate Niagara Ice Show last night. She did two of her exhibition programs: Lovefool and Wild Horses. Holy crap, she is so extremely amazing to see live! Explosive jumps, her 2A is HUGE; beautiful spins, I especially loved seeing her I-spin in person, it's so well executed and just beautiful. And her connection to the audience is superb, you can tell she loves to be out there and loves to perform. Makes me sad that she isn't going to worlds, but hopefully she'll be back and ready to rock next season.

My wish is for all three girls to be at Skate Canada, which I know likely won't happen as the second place finisher usually isn't assigned the event, usually it's the previous years champion. It'll be my first live GP event, so one can dream. ;)

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I saw Kaetlyn perform in the Skate Niagara Ice Show last night. She did two of her exhibition programs: Lovefool and Wild Horses. Holy crap, she is so extremely amazing to see live! Explosive jumps, her 2A is HUGE; beautiful spins, I especially loved seeing her I-spin in person, it's so well executed and just beautiful. And her connection to the audience is superb, you can tell she loves to be out there and loves to perform. Makes me sad that she isn't going to worlds, but hopefully she'll be back and ready to rock next season.

My wish is for all three girls to be at Skate Canada, which I know likely won't happen as the second place finisher usually isn't assigned the event, usually it's the previous years champion. It'll be my first live GP event, so one can dream. ;)

Sarah...so glad you were able to see her live; as mentioned earlier there is no other ladies skater today that can match her performance levels.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Sarah...so glad you were able to see her live; as mentioned earlier there is no other ladies skater today that can match her performance levels.

Yes! So true! Ashley Wagner was in the show as well and although she's known to be quite the performer herself, she's honestly no match for Kaetlyn. It's too bad a lot of other fans don't seem to notice.

Sackie

Medalist
Sarah - I would say it's too bad the judges don't notice. Although I think they would if Kaetlyn had 3 different letters after her name instead of CAN. Cause Kaetlyn never comes close to the same PCS as Ashley even when Ashley makes mistakes.

mrrice

Record Breaker
It's a Canadian thing. I have seen several of the Ladies over the years going back to Liz Manley and they all have a spark about them. Cynthia Phaneuf is a beautiful girl and was very exciting to see in person. I didn't love Amelie Lacoste when I saw her and even though she beat Cynthia, she wasn't my cup of tea. Unfortunately, I was never able to see Joannie Rochette live, as I really loved her skating. She had an absolutely beautiful split falling leaf....Huge!!!

How could I forget this performance. Kaetlyn at 2013 nationals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FeNFi331yE

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It's a Canadian thing. I have seen several of the Ladies over the years going back to Liz Manley and they all have a spark about them. Cynthia Phaneuf is a beautiful girl and was very exciting to see in person. I didn't love Amelie Lacoste when I saw her and even though she beat Cynthia, she wasn't my cup of tea. Unfortunately, I was never able to see Joannie Rochette live, as I really loved her skating. She had absolutely an beautiful split falling leaf....Huge!!!

How could I forget this performance. Kaetlyn at 2013 nationals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FeNFi331yE
And don't forget Josee Chouinard :) I think Kaetlyn has the potential to be recognized by the skating world if she skates well consistently and of course she gets to compete ie worlds. Seriously I think she is underestimated but at least Gracie and Ashley though no world medal yet are out there in he big competitions. Kaetlyn no going to worlds won't help. However, I understand Daleman and Chartrand placed h igher but it wasn't exactly scorewise clear cut. I do think coincidentally and not suggesting anything underhanded by anyone or judge that for some reason her skating skills/pcs in general like Rochette are under estimated her scores like at nats even when she skates poorly so to speak on the jump side should have higher pcs like the inconsistent Kostner, Gold, Wagner et al. But it is hard when you are Canada no. 3 .

mrrice

Record Breaker
^^^ I have never seen Josee live. However, she is very beautiful and though it has nothing to do with skating. I love listening to her commentary. Tara could learn a thing or two from Josee.

Weathergal

Medalist
^^^ I have never seen Josee live. However, she is very beautiful and though it has nothing to do with skating. I love listening to her commentary. Tara could learn a thing or two from Josee.

mrrice, are you familiar with Josee's program "The Sweater"? A favorite program of mine from that era: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbe97GLGAmk

Sorry not the greatest video quality (although it gets better after a few seconds).

vintagefigureskater

On the Ice
I saw Kaetlyn perform in the Skate Niagara Ice Show last night. She did two of her exhibition programs: Lovefool and Wild Horses.

Apologies in advance for taking this thread off topic - which version of Wild Horses did Kaetlyn skate to, the original by the Stones or a cover? Thanks!

mrrice

Record Breaker
Apologies in advance for taking this thread off topic - which version of Wild Horses did Kaetlyn skate to, the original by the Stones or a cover? Thanks!

I think she skated to this version by Charlotte Martin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoMqEGI79MI

If not, someone should. It's a great piece of music.

While I was searching for that music I came across this beautiful performance by Joannie Rochette. She talks briefly about her Olympic Experience before her performance.: My Immortal:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9T3FJbbMew

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sarah - I would say it's too bad the judges don't notice. Although I think they would if Kaetlyn had 3 different letters after her name instead of CAN. Cause Kaetlyn never comes close to the same PCS as Ashley even when Ashley makes mistakes.

Wagner, a 3-time US Champion and current US silver medalist, has had a long and distinguished career and has won 3 GPF medals, 12 GP medals, including 4 golds; was 4CC champion in 2012; has two JW bronze medals; and has finished top 10 at Worlds and Olympics in the last 4 years, top 6 in 3 of the last 4 years. Ashley gets high PCS scores because she performs the heck out of her programs even if she makes technical mistakes. She also uses a range of music and doesn't stick to one persona or theme for her programs.

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

mrrice

Record Breaker
Wagner, a 3-time US Champion and current US silver medalist, has had a long and distinguished career and has won 3 GPF medals, 12 GP medals, including 4 golds; was 4CC champion in 2012; has two JW bronze medals; and has finished top 10 at Worlds and Olympics in the last 4 years, top 6 in 3 of the last 4 years. Ashley gets high PCS scores because she performs the heck out of her programs even if she makes technical mistakes. She also uses a range of music and doesn't stick to one persona or theme for her programs.

All true......Ashley has been around forever and if there's one thing I can say about her after all these years, it's that she hasn't gone backwards. It took her several seasons before she landed a decent triple, triple and she's always been one of the strongest performers in the World. Lastly, she's not a quitter and you have to love that about any athlete.