Iconic Music | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Iconic Music

noskates

Record Breaker
I did like Bourne & Kratz' Riverdance but I do think Jason Brown will be remembered forever for his rendition at the 2014 US Nationals. The feeling in that arena was electric and he was so "on!"

Strangely I don't associate Sasha Cohen and Swan Lake. I just remember always biting my lip and clenching my fingers when she skated because I was always waiting for the inevitable fall....I do remember the gorgeous dresses she always wore but not a whole lot about her "iffy" skating. Sort of feel exactly the same way about Mirai Negasu now. I think she has the most beautiful costumes but her skating generally causes nail-biting....

tureis

On the Ice
I think the two truly "taboo level" iconic pieces of music are Alexei Yagudin's Winter and Michelle Kwan's Lyra Angelica. (Has anyone even skated to these since?)

Other than these, some personally iconic stuff, meaning it actually gives me pain to see anyone else skate to them LOL:

Lu Chen: Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto No.2
Rakhamo&Kokko: Sibelius - Valse Triste
Gordeyeva&Grinkov: Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata
Shen&Zhao: Thais - Meditation
Yuna Kim: Tango de Roxanne
Yagudin: Chopin - Revolutionary Etude
Yagudin: Hans Zimmer - Gladiator

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If iconic means strongly associated with one skater/skating pair, here are a few:
Michelle Kwan: East of Eden
Janet Lynn: Afternoon of a Faun
Torvill/Dean: Bolero
Sasha Cohen: Romeo and Juliet

These are pieces that the skaters have used multiple times-in exhibitions as well as competitive programs-- and that have become kind of like signature pieces for them. I don't think warhorses like Rach 2, Danse Macabre, Swan Lake etc. can count as iconic to any one skater/skating pair unless the skater has sort of adopted it as their own--and so far none has. I wouldn't be surprised to see Moulin Rouge become iconic for Ashley Wagner.

ETA: Re Swan Lake: I would say it's iconic as to Oksana Baiul.

I was going to mention that piece. It's my all time favorite SP of hers. I think I like it better than her first Olympic SP to Rach.<p>

Bolero... I see T&D when I hear the music. Doesn't matter who is actually on the ice. I'm never satisfied when someone else skates to it. They can't compare to my memories.<p>

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I was going to mention that piece. It's my all time favorite SP of hers. I think I like it better than her first Olympic SP to Rach.<p>

Bolero... I see T&D when I hear the music. Doesn't matter who is actually on the ice. I'm never satisfied when someone else skates to it. They can't compare to my memories.<p>

I actually like the version at this pro-am the best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYwAZb14Ags
The falling leaf into the spread eagle as she flies across the ice! :love:

Also, I don't recall anyone besides Sarah Hughes using "Daphnis et Chloe". I wonder why-- it's such an exciting piece of music.

edenlover

On the Ice
Michelle East of Eden Pro Am 98 was her best; no one else should skate to that mini series theme.
Underhill and Martini also skated to Pavrotti's vocal rendition of An American Hymn, which is it's official name back in 1986 I believe, at a pro am. Can't find it on you tube any more. They were as wonderful to the vocal version as Michelle was to the Symphonic.

petitebrie

On the Ice
So many skaters have done Adiós Nonino (I think I made a Youtube playlist at some point, which makes me think Patrick Commentates Skating should do a Warhorse Wednesday special on it, lol), but Yuna really elevated it. It has a similar quality to Michelle’s Lyra Angelica in that when you’re watching it you forget it’s figure skating, you forget it’s a competition with compulsory elements, it all just comes together beautifully as a whole. I’d be hard-pressed to imagine anyone doing a better interpretation of it after that.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Oh, you mentioning them reminded me of something I forgot to include in my earlier post.

Any time I hear "Take Me To Church" by Hozier, all I can think of is Papadakis / Cizeron. Admittedly, that might be because I hadn't heard the song before I saw them skating to it. (Ironic, given that the singer is Irish!)

Like Zhiganshina / Gazsi and their "Zombie Dance" programme, I have since seen somebody else do a programme using this song, and I didn't like it. But, like Anna Pogo and "Rise Like A Phoenix", I do think this is the definitive programme for Gabriella and Guillaume.

CaroLiza_fan

Is that the same "Zombie Dance" that Elena Radionova did a nice exhibition programme to after her first win at junior worlds?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Is that the same "Zombie Dance" that Elena Radionova did a nice exhibition programme to after her first win at junior worlds?

Didn't watch Juniors back then, so I didn't know. But, I just looked it up, and found her performance of it from the 2013 NHK Gala (and now that I see it, I do actually remember it!)

No, it's not the same.

Nelli and Alex's music was actually a medley of a few tunes, and "Zombie Dance" was a description of the routine that kinda developed into an unofficial title.

Here is their 2013 World Championship Free Dance performance: English commentary (not HD), Russian commentary (HD).

Incidentally, here is Medvedeva's version, from the 2015 Cup of Russia Gala.

EDIT: Finally found the Pairs couple that used this music last season. Paliakova / Bochkov - 2015 Europeans SP (they finished 10[SUP]th[/SUP] out of 14 in the SP, but dropped to last after the FS).​

Enjoy!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
I wouldn't advocate retiring any music or forbidding skaters to use, because you never know, one day we could see something even better and I always want to see skaters be able to use music that really speaks to their heart, without having to leave it because they just weren't born soon enough to use it first. That said, I do have a few personal preferences where I would say, if you ARE going to use, it, you had better make it WONDERFUL because the standard is so high.

Bolero - Torvill & Dean
Schindler's LIST - Julia
Moonlight Sonata - Sergei and Katia
Romeo & Juliet - Sasha Cohen.
Dark Eyes - Sasha Cohen.
Mahler Symphony No. 5 - Katia Gordeeva and Tessa & Scott. They're equal.

As far as in general terms, I believe people have felt that way about Janet Lynn's music. Otherwise I can't think of any others.

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
I
Shen&Zhao: Thais - Meditation

That's ironic. Isn't that the same music Anton and Elena used in the Salt Lake City Free Skate? Funny that it's their rivals who are associated with it the most.

I definitely would add Bourne & Kraatz for iconic Riverdance, but we can never hear that music too often! Also for my personal canon list:

Love Story - Jamie and David all the way

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So many skaters have done Adiós Nonino (I think I made a Youtube playlist at some point, which makes me think Patrick Commentates Skating should do a Warhorse Wednesday special on it, lol), but Yuna really elevated it. It has a similar quality to Michelle’s Lyra Angelica in that when you’re watching it you forget it’s figure skating, you forget it’s a competition with compulsory elements, it all just comes together beautifully as a whole. I’d be hard-pressed to imagine anyone doing a better interpretation of it after that.

Here is what I think of when I hear Adios Nonino. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1XaKf3ssiM