Japan's Miyahara gains confidence | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Japan's Miyahara gains confidence

ioanna

Record Breaker
I want to bring up her GPF SP as an example. She pre-rotates more than others (some pre-r is inevitable) and its visible. Compare her lutz with this one. Her 3T and 3F landings were at least borderline ur with the 2A landing being clean and 3Lz being hooked. Now I know skaters get the benefit of the doubt sometimes BUT if you have a visible pre-rotation that shold add up to the borderline ur's so those ur's should be called more harshly. Basically, she rotates less degrees in the air than other skaters.

I'd give her 3Lz-3T< and 3F<. She should have AT LEAST one ur on either of the jumps even with the most generous caller.

Also: Communication 1944: poor take-off -1 to -2 GOE.

edit: it really helps to use .25 speed in youtube settings and pause/play clicking to see the point of contact with the ice.

She used to have underrotation calls all over her protocols in the past seasons. The number of underrotation calls has slowly decreased over time. Is it because the judges suddenly decided that she should be given the benefit of doubt or is it simply because she has improved and while she doesn't have elevation she has possibly the fastest rotation speed among the ladies?

If she should have gotten negative GOEs for her jumps then Tuktamysheva too should have gotten lower SS, CH, TR marks than Miyahara. She was leading over Miyahara by 4 points in PCS only at the 2015 Worlds. So why pick on Miyahara's average GOEs when she has constantly received lower PCS than pretty much everyone else?

ioanna

Record Breaker
Here is Anastasia Galustyan's SP from the Euros:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3W4sNFtKbM

She got ur on all 4 of her jumps. http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1516/ec2016/ec2016_Ladies_SP_Scores.pdf. 16'th place.
Excluding the 2A, were her landing any worse than Satoko? Her 2A< had clearly more rotation than Satoko's non-ur 3T and 3F.

She hardly has any speed going into the jumps and she basically lands them on her toe pick. Also, you can see ice flying everywhere because she completes her rotation on the ice. I don't really see that on Satoko's jumps.

Last edited:

Tyranid

Final Flight
Agree about PCS but I focused on jumps only because they are easier to analyze in detail than PCS. We'll have to see what happens at 4CC and Worlds.

Perdita

Final Flight
I love her, and it's great that she's working on her expression and jumps, but my personal wish is that she'll work on her skating skills and one day become a skater who'll always be praised for an amazing SS. Expression and jumps are something that she needs to improve, but I don't really think that'll be the part she'll shine the best among others at the end of the day... but I'd love to see her joining one of those SS goddesses. It's just my fan ego though! No doubt she's an amazing skater already.

Last edited:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I believe she got less calls or got more generous judging because she became the no. 1 Japanese lady when Mao was not competing. And now even Mao is back, she is too far behind Satoko consistency wise. I only hope judges are fair calling under rotations. And I don't think Satoko's SS is that superb either. I would even rate Karen Chen's SS better, for example, who is still a tier B skater at the moment.

She used to have underrotation calls all over her protocols in the past seasons. The number of underrotation calls has slowly decreased over time. Is it because the judges suddenly decided that she should be given the benefit of doubt or is it simply because she has improved and while she doesn't have elevation she has possibly the fastest rotation speed among the ladies?

If she should have gotten negative GOEs for her jumps then Tuktamysheva too should have gotten lower SS, CH, TR marks than Miyahara. She was leading over Miyahara by 4 points in PCS only at the 2015 Worlds. So why pick on Miyahara's average GOEs when she has constantly received lower PCS than pretty much everyone else?

OniBan

Final Flight
I believe she got less calls or got more generous judging because she became the no. 1 Japanese lady when Mao was not competing. And now even Mao is back, she is too far behind Satoko consistency wise. I only hope judges are fair calling under rotations. And I don't think Satoko's SS is that superb either. I would even rate Karen Chen's SS better, for example, who is still a tier B skater at the moment.

And I hope the judges will be fair in awarding Satoko the PCS she deserved, instead of awarding her in relation to how everyone else (esp those in the top tier) is marked PCS-wise. She deserves better scores in that department.

and as lovely as Karen Chen, I personally do not think she's better yet at SS than Satoko. Perhaps if she can be more consistent in the years to come. She is a better jumper than Satoko though.

ioanna

Record Breaker

So the technical panel thought now that Asada is not competing, we will score Miyahara generously because somebody needs to be the new no.1 Japanese lady. I see.

Out of curiosity, I wanted to compare Miyahara's TES with Medvedeva's TES and see exactly how overscored Miyahara is.

Skate America SP
Miyahara got an underrotation call and unclear edge for her 3F. Base value: 30.70. TES: 33.14
Medvedeva was clean. Base value: 33.10. TES: 39.66

Skate America FS
Miyahara got 2 underrotation calls and unclear edge for her 3F. Base value: 57.68. TES: 60.05
Medvedeva fell on her 2A. Base value: 61.23. TES: 68.83

Grand Prix Final SP
Miyahara got an edge call for her 3F. Base value: 31.30. TES: 35.51
Medvedeva was clean. Base value: 33.10. TES: 40.20

Grand Prix Final FS
Miyahara was clean. Base value: 62.96. TES: 72.89
Medvedeva got an unclear edge for her 3Lz. Base value: 62.33. TES: 75.59

It's pointless to include the PCS, so I still fail to see where is Miyahara overscored. The additional GOEs all come from her spins and step sequences and nobody can take those away from her. She did get underrotation calls. She did get edge calls.

As for Miyahara's skating skills, I don't see where I called them superb or anything. I was only comparing her skating skills with Tuktamysheva's. I even said she needs to maintain more speed throughout her programs on the other page. She needs more power. Karen Chen is very talented, but in my opinion she's the one who's "not there yet". Miyahara has great balance, flow, she makes her multidirectional skating look easy, she's using her knees and she has sureness. Chen should keep working on flow and sureness at least.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Karen needs to reign in her speed a bit she seems out of control at times when she's going for her 3-3 combo. She needs a coach who can teach her to skate fast but under control. Even Kostner and Gold had to slow down a bit to become better skaters and not skate so frantically.

Last edited:

Globetrotter

Medalist
And I hope the judges will be fair in awarding Satoko the PCS she deserved, instead of awarding her in relation to how everyone else (esp those in the top tier) is marked PCS-wise. She deserves better scores in that department.

and as lovely as Karen Chen, I personally do not think she's better yet at SS than Satoko. Perhaps if she can be more consistent in the years to come. She is a better jumper than Satoko though.

Actually Satoko is underrated in SS. There are plenty of ladies who skate fast but good SS is more about control, edge quality, flow and ability to vary speed and direction. Satoko's blade work are pretty quiet and has good edges and multidirectional skates are her forte. She just lack the stamina to sustain the power in her LP. And her small built also makes her ice presence appear smaller as compared to more statuesque skaters. She needs to build up some leg muscles. She is good at using the edges to gain speed but appears to lack the muscle power to sustain the speed throughout.