FS music by smaller artists? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

FS music by smaller artists?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Well I got permission from my friend and here are a few songs that I think could work. There's more than what I listed that I like that could work, but I just want to give you these 2 for a start.

This one is called "Love the Night" and I think it could work for ice dance. http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/665007

This one is called "Wake Up" and I think it could work for a ladies singles skater who loves to skate to fast rock music...because I think there are some out there and need to do it http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/665012

His name is Jackson Begley by the way. Just want to make sure I give him 100% full credit as much as possible.

Wow!!! Loved both of those songs!!!

:cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

Your friend is very talented!

I have a few friends who are either in bands or are solo musicians. But, I don't think the music any of them make would suit skating.

So, since he fits into this category, I am going to pull out the song that I always suggest when people are asking for music that could be used for a skating programme:

Paul Casey - "Big World"

Sorry for sounding like a stuck record (pun totally intended ;) ). But, I really do feel this could be a great song for skating to!

CaroLiza_fan

noskates

Record Breaker
Michelle's last Olympic exhibition to Fields of Gold by Eva Cassidy. The song was more well-known when Sting recorded it. Eva is a wonderful singer who died at a very early age (37 I think) from ovarian cancer. In addition to the live performances she did in small clubs, she used to tape her rehearsals. Her father has released several CDs of those rehearsal songs. One CD, Songbird, is a classic.

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands
I read somewhere online, that the skating of Kwan helped the sales of Cassidy's music. And found a different website about this:

http://evacassidy.org/fields-of-gold/

In the autumn of 2001, a whole new international audience discovered Eva’s recording of “Fields of Gold” when champion ice skater Michelle Kwan chose that music for her exhibition skating routine. Chris Biondo watched it on television and found Kwan’s interpretation of Eva’s vocals to be tremendously moving. “I cried like a baby,” he admits. “Then I called my mother, she was crying too, everybody was crying.”

Michelle Kwan skated to “Fields of Gold” several more times that winter, in an elegant new Vera Wang costume in glittering gold. The skater clearly enjoyed the music, and on one televised performance she could be seen singing along with Eva as she skated. Guitarist Keith Grimes admitted he felt proud to have his guitar-playing be a part of Michelle Kwan’s artistic expression. “Thrilling solo skating matched with a bare bones musical performance — I thought the combination worked. Plus, in the big arena, Eva finally got the reverb she was crazy for!”

At the skating gala for the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics, Michelle Kwan again chose to skate to “Fields of Gold.” Though bitterly disappointed that she had won the bronze medal instead of the hoped-for Olympic gold, she electrified the billions of watchers around the world with her gloriously expressive, emotional performance of “Fields of Gold.”

During the summer of 2002, Michelle Kwan continued skating to “Fields of Gold” on the 85-city “Champions on Ice” tour. When “Champions on Ice” came to Baltimore, Maryland, Eva’s parents and some other family members and friends went backstage to meet the skater. Kathy McCabe, one of the group, recalls, “Michelle was so gracious and spent a long time with us explaining how she came to choose the music and what she feels like when she skates to it. She said it was a friend of her mother’s who brought her the CD and said she should skate to that song. She listened to it and right away she knew. She said it is the best song she has ever skated to, that she feels so free and not stressed when she skates to this song, it makes her feel beautiful, and like a beautiful skater. She went on and on about it.

“We watched the show after that, and when Eva’s voice came through the PA and Michelle skated so beautifully, it was hard to keep from crying. Bill Straw and Hugh held Barbara’s hands throughout the song and though she was immensely proud I could tell she was immensely emotional too.” Bill Straw of Blix Street Records had brought a special gift for the skater, a newly-minted “gold record” of the SONGBIRD album, which had recently achieved that status in the United States.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Michelle's last Olympic exhibition to Fields of Gold by Eva Cassidy. The song was more well-known when Sting recorded it. Eva is a wonderful singer who died at a very early age (37 I think) from ovarian cancer. In addition to the live performances she did in small clubs, she used to tape her rehearsals. Her father has released several CDs of those rehearsal songs. One CD, Songbird, is a classic.

I wouldn't exactly call Eva Cassidy a "smaller artist". She is VERY famous, and is VERY popular. But, I know what you are getting at in your comment. Although it is well known, her cover of "Fields Of Gold" isn't as well known as Sting's original.

By the way, when I was looking up the song on Wikipedia, I clicked through to Eva's page and found that she was actually even younger than you thought. She was only 33 when she died.

Such a talent, lost too soon.

CaroLiza_fan