Technical questions on dance lifts | Golden Skate

Technical questions on dance lifts

caitie

Medalist
Ok, I have some ice dance tech questions as I try to get better at identifying the features skaters are using for levels. I decided to start with the dance lifts of W/P, C/B, and the Shibs. I was able to figure all but these three out:

I don't fully understand the Shibutani's rotational lift in their short dance:

Rotational Lift Option 1A -- Lifted partner performs difficult position for five rotations or moves through a change of pose + the Lifting partner performs six rotations.

Rotational Lift Option 1B -- Lifted partner performs difficult position for four rotations or moves through a change of pose + the Lifting partner performs five rotations + Difficult Entry OR Exit feature

-- I see Alex rotating six times. (1A?)
-- I see Maia holding a pose for four rotations (1B?)... but I'm not sure it qualifies as a difficult pose?
-- If it does not qualify, then Maia must be completing a change of pose (1A?), but the first pose is not "clearly defined," especially in relation to the second pose that she holds for most of the rotations.
-- And so it would follow that Maia's movement at the beginning of the lift is actually a "significant transitional movement by the lifted partner to attain the difficult pose" and fulfills the Difficult Entry feature (1B?)
-- And Alex goes on one foot for a final (seventh) rotation as Maia exits the lift... but a "difficult entry or exit position for the lifting partner" is explicitly not permitted to be considered for 1B's Difficult Entry or Exit feature... would this qualify as a creative exit for the +1 GOE adjustment?

The sticking point for me is that I don't understand whether or not Maia's position qualifies as a difficult position. It doesn't really fit with the list of examples of difficult positions the ISU provides. Here is a screenshot of the position: http://i.imgur.com/5id71pP.png

For Chock and Bates' FD curve lift: (3 features needed for Level 4)

1. Difficult Position for Lifting Partner - Evan's on one foot (check)
2. Entry Feature - Madison jumps into the lift, which is an a.) unexpected entry (check), and then is swung around Evan's body into her pose which seems like a d.) significant transitional movement into the position, but even so it would be ignored by the technical panel since the feature was already attained. (Right?)
3. Exit Feature - Evan goes into a spread eagle position as Madison dismounts for a b.) difficult exit position for lifting partner (check)
4. Difficult Pose for Lifted Partner - Well... Madison is in a layback type of position, but it doesn't qualify because Evan is holding her waist, and there must be "no support from the partner above the thigh." Does it count as "leaning out (forwards or backwards) with the only one additional point of support being the legs"? Again, here is a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/p5dFMyI.png

For Chock and Bates' FD straight line lift: (3 features needed for Level 4)

1. Difficult Position for Lifting Partner - Evan's does a spread eagle (check)
2. Entry Feature - Evan gets into the spread eagle position before Madison leaves the ice for an entry feature (check)
3. Madison's position MUST count as difficult, but again, I'm having trouble finding it. There's not quite a 180 degree angle between her thighs for it to qualify as a "full split." Does this lift count as "balancing in a horizontal position (her torso is in a horizontal position and holding her leg up like that is surely more difficult than if it was just horizontal?) with only one additional point of support" which is Evan's hand on her thigh? Here is a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/jyfdHqP.png
4. Exit feature - And finally, Evan changes hold to Madison's arm as she dismounts by swinging her free leg and body backwards and down. Does this count as a "significant transitional movement" that could be given for level if one of the previous three features was not deemed as having been met? Or is this just a "creative exit" that should garner them a +1 GOE adjustment?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Last edited: