Canning Green Beans | Golden Skate

Canning Green Beans

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh Grannyyyy!!!!!!

Or someone with any gardening experience:

I'm trying my hand at a small garden. I'm growing green beans and have been saving pasta sauce jars when they are ready to pick.

Imagine my horror after doing research, that "canning" is a 12-step and complicated process - especially for me.

Does this mean I can't throw some green beans in a jar with some water and spices to use for the winter???? Do I really have to have seals, do the "blanching", etc?

Any help would be appreciated. This way I can get rid of all the jars I collected if necessary :)

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I can't tell you a whole lot but I do know that everything has to be sterilized completely which means after you have sterilized all the jars and put the beans in them you do have to pressure the jars with the beans in them. If you don't, they will spoil for sure. It's easier to freeze them! I can't stand the frozen ones from the store but the home frozen ones are much better. That's one thing my mother could do great. (She raised 5 acre gardens and sold produce). I haven't canned much myself. After having to do so much when I was young, I swore I would never do any canning. I'll try and think of some other things to do later.

dizzydi

On the Ice
Beware

You MUST be careful canning green beans. Improperly processed, green beans can make you very, very ill or even kill you. One word "botulism".

If you don't know what you are doing or have problems following directions, freeze the green beans.

Dizzy

bronxgirl

Medalist
I claim absolutely no experience with gardening or home canning, but I do know that bacteria can thrive if food (including green beans) are not preserved properly. I'm not sure that just some water and spices will preserve beans adequately - I guess it would also depend on length of planned storage and storage conditions (refrigerator, cooled cellar, kitchen cabinet, etc). Sorry if I only add to the confusion, but the doc in me alsways says be careful!

A.H.Black

Final Flight
I can a lot. Green beans are one of the foods that you must be very careful with. With most fruits or vegetables there is either enough sugar or salt or acid to act as a preserving agent. This is not the case with beans. They must be pressurized in a pressure cooker before you bottle. It can be done and we do it all the time (as a family). There is no better way to preserve beans. It is a stretch for a beginner though. You may want to scout around locally and see if someone can help you the first time. There may also be an agriculture extension service that can help you.

Also the jars you are saving will probably not be sufficient. The only commercial jars I ever use are Mayonaisse bottles. Even those they recommend that you not use, but I have not had any problems with them. You will want to scout out good prices in the canning section of your grocery store. The other place I find bottles is at the thrift/goodwill/Salvation Army stores. Run your finger flat around the top edge to make sure the surface is smooth and without cracks or flaws.

Why not start with some easier canning project. Apricots, for example, are comparatively easy.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Well, I think somehow here you will get the message that you need to be very careful and make sure everything is sterilized. :laugh:

Suzy

On the Ice
GgGranny,

How do you freeze green beans? Do you blanch them first and forhowlong? do you salt the water? Do you put the beans in a regular freezer bag? Does the air have to be squeezed out of the bag.

I don't care for canned grean beans, either. Too mushy and the color is not as pretty.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Boy, it's so long since I have done them, not sure I remember. You do need to at least bring them to a boil. My mother always cooked them with bacon. I would definitely not overcook them. I just used the ziploc or glad freezer bags. I'll try and get time to look it up. Not even sure if I have a cookbook with that kind of stuff in it.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
You can use your search on your computer and it takes you to a bunch of sites, mostly extension services. Blanch for 3 minutes, let cool, fill pkg to 1/2 " and seal. That means leave 1/2 inch gap at top. Pack them kind of tight and get all the air out you can.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well Gee,

Am I glad I asked! :eek:

I was just trying to find use for all the jars I've been saving.... :confused:

I think I will just cook the beans (IF THEY GROW) after I pick them from the stalk. :laugh:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And to think I attempted to find a way to get away for a break from the 'puter.... :rolleye:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I see I forgot to answer about the salt. Looks like either is ok. I am on a low sodium diet so don't salt anything. I notice some of the sites only mention you can use salt. I think, since salt is used for curing, that it would be a good idea to go ahead and use some. It would help keep it from spoiling. They say don't wash the beans until you are ready to use them. It is much better to process them right after you pick them. So, Paula, don't be afraid to freeze them. It would be better to do that than let them sit if you have very many. Your going to have to treat them some way anyway. I will try and answer any more questions. It may be a while because I have to pack today. I will be gone tomorrow and my daughter will be coming tomorrow night and we will leave Fri. morning to go to our family reunion at my nephews just north of Kansas City, Mo. Will be home Sunday night but will be busy. I have a lot going on next week too.

Pookie

Final Flight
I think I will just cook the beans (IF THEY GROW) after I pick them from the stalk.

I used to can beans several years ago. It is hot, hard work. I have never tried freezing them. Just cooking right off the vine is so good with some bacon and a little onion with some new potatoes thrown in. Mmmm. . . . it can't be beat. :)

Kind of wish I had room for a garden.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
That's right but if there are too many to use up right away it's better to freeze them than get old.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
My mother, grandmother, amd great grandmother all only can green beans in a pressure canner because the low acididty requires a higher temperature than can be obtained by steam not under pressure. IMO green beans are the one food that tastes better canned than frozen.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Yes, I agree, canned usually tastes better. When I cook fresh green beans I always use my pressure cooker. They taste a whole lot better that way.