AFI'S 100 years, 100 songs | Golden Skate

AFI'S 100 years, 100 songs

anya_angie

Final Flight
This is just about over now, anyone else watching?

I for one am quite surprised that classics like A Whole New World and Can You Feel The Love Tonight were not on the list.

I for one am going to watch The Wizard of Oz now :D :D :D *sigh* I love that movie.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
i was surprised all along the watchtower and somewhere out there werent included!!! But I so enjoyed this show, it was fun to share it with my family.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Just saw part of it. Really enjoyed it. (Was on the phone with my daughter and didn't know it was going to be on.) Over The Rainbow considered best song. Great.

anya_angie

Final Flight
I adored the show, I taped it and don't regret it.

Oh, yes, Somewhere Out There is a magical song too.

Other songs I was kind of surprised not to see

The Bells of Notre Dame, one of the most amazing introduction pieces I've ever heard
Out There, also from Hunchback, a song of longing that I sigh at all the time.
God Help The Outcasts
Someday, may not be as good as God Help The Outcasts, but it's equally as longing

Colors of the Wind, for some reason I was suprised that this wasn't on the list

When You Believe, won Best Song in 1999, about overcoming obstacles and never giving up hope.

Incidentally all of these were written by Stephen Schwartz

I also think Everything I Do fits the movie Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves quite beautifully.

I was so so happy to see so many songs from West Side Story on the list, I believe I counted 3.

Only one Menken song was on the list, but Beauty and the Beast is undoubtedly his best work, I was happy about that.

anya_angie

Final Flight
I also want to add, one of my favorite movie songs of all time was technically not the chosen theme to its movie, when every film music critic agrees that it is VASTLY superior than the chosen theme.

Anastasia had 2 principal ballads, Journey to the Past and Once Upon A December. The people who marketed the soundtrack chose Journey as the theme, when of course Once Upon A December is orchestrally superior (I know, I've tried playing it LOL) and lyrically more emotional. Since they didn't limit themselves to theme songs, I would have liked for AFI to put this on the list instead of Journey to The Past, which was one of the 400 songs nominated.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Enjoyed this program immensely. Only, I would have put "The Sound of Music" ahead of "Stayin Alive." It should have been in the top five. Anyway, I was thrilled my favorite song "Over the Rainbow" was picked as the number one song. It was great to see all the classics - timeless as ever. I was also surprised "A Time for Us" from Romeo and Juliet was not on the list.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is there any way to get a list of the top 100 movie songs? We saw the last part of this special (about the top 30 songs). It was a very enjoyable show. :love:

I'll bet a lot of skaters have skated to many of the songs on the list. :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
http://www.afi.com for anyone too lazy to google ;) LOL

I loved this show... even though I didn't agree with some of the songs being the best, but I enjoyed it (and I won the bet as to what song would be number 1!)

anya_angie

Final Flight
I prefer What Is A Youth because that was actually the song written for and played in the movie. I forget who wrote the lyrics to A Time For Us, but of course Mancini... I guess you could say he pulled a James Horner, and stole the melody from Nino Rota, just as James Horner stole Schindler's List from John Williams for Enemy At The Gates. I've watched 1968's Romeo and Juliet meriads of times, and I've never heard A Time For Us played, even watched the end credits. That is why it wasn't on the list, and it wasn't even nominated.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/journal_view.php?journalid=103380

the list of all 400 songs nominated

http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/songs.aspx

the top 100

Last edited:

julesartist65

Spectator
I watched the show last night and I thought it was very entertaining. I was surprised to find out that "Evergreen" was written by Barbara Streisand and that Judy Garland wrote part of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" - besides being great singer/actresses they are also great songwriters. Over the Rainbow deserves to be the number 1 song - it is a classic!

Going off the subject a little - Did anyone see AFI's Life Achievement Award to Meryl Streep? That was a really good program also - I especially enjoyed Jim Carey's speech (he was really funny).

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the tip, RoaringMice, and thanks for posting the link, Toni! :love:

Angie, I will definitely have to check out the list of the 400 songs that were nominated too :)