Polina Edmunds withdraws from 4CC | Golden Skate

Polina Edmunds withdraws from 4CC

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well, a skater knows best and it's good to see that her priority is Worlds.

Franklin99

Medalist
I love that their withdrawals gives skaters not going to World one more chance to compete this season. First Kanako for Mao, then Mirai for Ashley, and now Karen for Polina. I'm so happy we get to see them compete once again. :)

tulosai

Record Breaker
Very surprising- I'd have thought as reigning champion she'd want to try to medal there again. Honestly, as with Ashley, I don't think this is the wisest move if she's uninjured, but I'm happy Karen will have this opportunity, and, also as with Ashley, I think Polina is an adult and we have to respect her ability to make decisions for herself.

Best of luck to Karen!

mrrice

Record Breaker
Too bad Tyler is not the next alternate. She is more deserving of the spot than Karen.

What has happened to Courtney Hicks? I thought she was having a great season but, it seems she faded just when she needed to peak. Is She done for the year?

tulosai

Record Breaker
What has happened to Courtney Hicks? I thought she was having a great season but, it seems she faded just when she needed to peak. Is She done for the year?

I believe Courtney might be third alt. for Worlds so for all intents and purposes her season is over. She seems unable to put together a strong Nationals showing which is really too bad, but honestly, if she wants any hope of being able to peak when it matters I think she needs to figure out how to better control her jumps. They are big and explosive and quite awesome when executed cleanly, but that only goes so far when you have such problems with executing them cleanly. I don't believe her problems are nerve based in general, either, since when these problems manifest and even on which jumps is essentially random and I truly do think because her jumps aren't under good control.

dna5019

Final Flight
Kind of surprising, but I'm happy Karen will get another chance to compete! :) Best of luck to her!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Too bad Tyler is not the next alternate. She is more deserving of the spot than Karen.

I believe Courtney might be third alt. for Worlds so for all intents and purposes her season is over.

For better or worse, Tyler and Hannah are the second and third alternates for Worlds.
Karen and Courtney were given the second and third alternate spots for Four Continents.
So I guess USFS wanted to spread the "wealth" of alternate spots?

And of course, Tyler and Bradie are going to Junior Worlds.

Sorry that Polina had to withdraw.
Good luck to Karen :yay:.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I believe Courtney might be third alt. for Worlds so for all intents and purposes her season is over. She seems unable to put together a strong Nationals showing which is really too bad, but honestly, if she wants any hope of being able to peak when it matters I think she needs to figure out how to better control her jumps. They are big and explosive and quite awesome when executed cleanly, but that only goes so far when you have such problems with executing them cleanly. I don't believe her problems are nerve based in general, either, since when these problems manifest and even on which jumps is essentially random and I truly do think because her jumps aren't under good control.

I completely agree with your assessment. She's like a box of chocolates. I never know what I'm gonna get. I do like her aggressive style and hope she can pull everything together at some point.

tulosai

Record Breaker

I don't necessarily agree with this. Karen had relatively strong GP showings relative to the other American girls. Her Season's best score is better than Pierce's and hers was earned at a GP while Tyler's was earned at a relatively highly scored senior B. While I would agree that Tyler out preformed Karen at Nationals (though a big part of that was a Zayak mistake) I don't know that I think her body of work really shows that she is more deserving of the spot than Karen is- I'd call it a close one and I think convincing arguments could be made for sending either.

- - - Updated - - -

For better or worse, Tyler and Hannah are the second and third alternates for Worlds.
Karen and Courtney were given the second and third alternate spots for Four Continents.
So I guess USFS wanted to spread the "wealth" of alternate spots?

And of course, Tyler and Bradie are going to Junior Worlds.

Sorry that Polina had to withdraw.
Good luck to Karen :yay:.

Got it, I knew she was third alt for something :agree:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Huh. I'm pretty surprised by this. But, like others have said, she knows what's best for her!

This has nothing to do with your post, lol, but your custom title is "in search of a summer sport to love" and I have a suggestion: try watching rhythmic gymnastics! It's essentially various dance styles smushed together with contortion and artistic gymnastics, with hoops, ribbons, etc. thrown in. An acquired taste, certainly, but certain parts of it are similar to skating, so you might find you enjoy it.

If you find you have not acquired the taste, synchronized swimming is kind of strange and can be lots of fun to watch. :biggrin:

Sorry for the tangent, hehe. :slink:

MalAssada

Medalist
This has nothing to do with your post, lol, but your custom title is "in search of a summer sport to love" and I have a suggestion: try watching rhythmic gymnastics! It's essentially various dance styles smushed together with contortion and artistic gymnastics, with hoops, ribbons, etc. thrown in. An acquired taste, certainly, but certain parts of it are similar to skating, so you might find you enjoy it.

If you find you have not acquired the taste, synchronized swimming is kind of strange and can be lots of fun to watch. :biggrin:

Sorry for the tangent, hehe. :slink:

Every time she posts and I read about summer sports, all I can think is artistic gymnastics :love:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I think it is also more convenient for Karen to replace Polina a few days before the competition, since Karen probably has dual citizenship of Taiwan and the US. She can just fly there without preparing any document for travel.

Barb

Record Breaker
Well, I think it was the opportunity for Polina try beat to Gracie and to get a well needed better reputation but I guess she doesnt feel prepared for it. Same for Ashley.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well, I think it was the opportunity for Polina try beat to Gracie and to get a well needed better reputation but I guess she doesnt feel prepared for it. Same for Ashley.

Here's the thing about Polina. I think she already has a good reputation with the International Judges. However.......Gracie has Frank Freakin' Carroll and there's nothing Polina can do about that. My hope for Polina is to finish in the Top 6 and even that will be a big task. Gracie has improved in every event she's skating in and I think she'll finally make the podium this year. I don't care what color it is, as long as she gets a medal.