Skaters who didn't hit the 'pinnacle' | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Skaters who didn't hit the 'pinnacle'

mrrice

Record Breaker
mrrice...Liam is referring to Rod Black who with Tracy Wison, are the figure skating commentators for CTV Sports. Often know for his celebration of all things Canadian.

"Go Canada Go!"

Thank you guys for your comments. However, I still have no idea what happened to Ben.

KweenAsada

On the Ice
Many of you have already said Ann Patrice Mcdonough, but I have to add my name to the seemingly long list of people who saw potential for greatness in her.

Besides, Ann Patrice I have to go with Yukina Ota. I only saw her skate on tv once, but she was lovely. She disappeared as quickly as she arrived, though. I wish she had hung in a little longer.

About the Carolyn Zhang story, I wonder how many people who have not been to medical school know what Grey's Anatomy is? Everybody? Nobody?

(There is one on my bookshelf even as we speak. :laugh:)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I thought we were fed that she is a voracious reader by ABC? ...

About the Carolyn Zhang story, I wonder how many people who have not been to medical school know what Grey's Anatomy is? Everybody? Nobody?

(There is one on my bookshelf even as we speak. :laugh:)

I wonder also whether the existence of the book is common knowledge only to those of us of a certain age?

Anecdotally, I found an introductory document for the Fall 2016 anatomy course at the University of Minnesota medical school.

Grey's is not included on the primary list (on Page 2) of five recommended anatomy textbooks.

Grey's is mentioned later (on Page 3) as an additional resource "that can be helpful."

If(?) Grey's is not as emblematic in the medical community as it once was, would not be surprising that the same would be true among laymen.

[I have not listened to the TSL interview, but my hunch is that Caroline is only one of many fans of the TV series who did not have prior independent knowledge of the book. Also would not surprise/dismay me that someone who is genuinely a voracious reader of well-respected literature had never laid eyes on a copy of Grey's or the Feynman lectures or other scientific classics.]

Last edited:

brightphoton

Medalist
Why would anyone read Grey's Anatomy, unless they were attending medical school or were taking an anatomy class? It's a reference book, not a classic novel ...

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Thank you guys for your comments. However, I still have no idea what happened to Ben.

I did some googling, and it looks like Ben Ferreira is teaching/coaching at the St Albert figure skating club near Edmonton, Alberta. That seems to be current. The latest interview I found was from 2013; at that time he was coaching at the Royal Glenora Club, where Kurt Browning and Sale/Pelletier trained, and where he started skating.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Why would anyone read Grey's Anatomy, unless they were attending medical school or were taking an anatomy class? It's a reference book, not a classic novel ...

OMG we have gone down the rabbit hill and can't get out. What I am more interested in is how does Caroline afford to travel so much for non skating stuff - Italy, Nevada and afford so many gifts for friends? Let's get real here. Also, are they living together - not to be judgmental but also getting ready for baptismal class? Sounds a bit contradictory. Pretty nice looking place too:)

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
I was just wondering about a similar topic a few days ago about juniors, who were "supposed" to be the next big thing and were successful in the juniors, but seemed to fade away in seniors for whatever the reason may be. I was looking at some old JGP standings and junior worlds and saw quite a bit of podium finishers, who I have never even heard of (as a quite lazy follower of juniors) and some who I have heard of, but who are not on the big picture anymore. Do you have any junior skaters, who you hoped would make it to big success, but then seemed to fade away or stopped competing altogether?
Caroline Zhang was already mentioned in here, she had some success in seniors as well, but was never the top competitor after juniors. And then there are some, that are struggling in seniors as of now, but that I still have high hopes for and hoping to see them do good in the future (maybe Sima, Hawayek/Baker etc).

kwanette

Final Flight
Evora and Ladwig stayed together for so long before she decided to retire and it's so rare for an US pair team that I was rooting for them only for this reason :laugh:

In 2014 I was surprised that Denney/Coughlin were not sent to the Olympics instead of Zhang/Bartholomay

This

senatormls

On the Ice
2 skaters that come to mind are first, Laura Lepisto. She has had some injuries and was one of my favorites at the 2010 OG. ( Best dress and hair LP). SHe had fluidity and poise but often doubled her jumps. The other had a breakthrough around 2010 or 2011. I saw her skate at a GP or Euros and she comes from Belgium. Her name is Ira Vannut. She just completely fell off the radar! Such promise. If Mathman or others know what happened to her, I'd love to know! Another skater from the outside.. Kiira Korpii!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think my biggest "could have been" is Tara Lipinski. I was never fan of her skating style because it seemed very immature to me. But, her talent was undeniable and I would like to have seen how she grew as a skater and would have presented herself at age 18 or 19. I understand that she had some hip problems that played into her decision to stop competing, but I wish the doctors could have patched that up somehow so she could have had a longer career.

As far as I have understood Tara had a severe hip problem which prevented her skating in shows after a couple of seasons, too. There is no way she could have continued her career as an eligible skater.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
2 skaters that come to mind are first, Laura Lepisto. She has had some injuries and was one of my favorites at the 2010 OG. ( Best dress and hair LP). SHe had fluidity and poise but often doubled her jumps. The other had a breakthrough around 2010 or 2011. I saw her skate at a GP or Euros and she comes from Belgium. Her name is Ira Vannut. She just completely fell off the radar! Such promise. If Mathman or others know what happened to her, I'd love to know! Another skater from the outside.. Kiira Korpii!

Unfortunately, Vannut had to retire due to injury. I inquired about it some time ago, because I really liked her in 2011. I don't know what she's up to nowadays.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Kristi & Rudy

Here's the thing about Kristi and Rudy. If I remember correctly, they spun and jumped in opposite directions. I remember seeing a couple do this and though it wasn't Kristi and Rudy, it was a distraction. I have to wonder how far they could have gone. Has any couple ever won a World Championship that spun in opposite directions?

mrrice

Record Breaker
I did some googling, and it looks like Ben Ferreira is teaching/coaching at the St Albert figure skating club near Edmonton, Alberta. That seems to be current. The latest interview I found was from 2013; at that time he was coaching at the Royal Glenora Club, where Kurt Browning and Sale/Pelletier trained, and where he started skating.

Thank you so much for that information. Ben seemed like such a nice person and was genuinely humble and sweet.

pohatta

On the Ice

I'm peeved that Korpi never skated a long program that she was capable of. In the 2012 GP she was really getting there: she had a secure 3-3, 3Lz, 3F, 60+ PCS, she could win an event after being 2nd in the SP. She finished 4th in the final after an illness, and that was really her last proper competition.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
What do you guys think about Angela Nikadinov? I saw her at Worlds in 2001 and she was good in the SP but, had an unfortunate fall in the LP and ended up in fifth place. Like Yebin Mok, Angela had beautiful posture, gorgeous spins, and a soft quality about her. At the time, I was rooting for Maria Butyrskaya and remember being shocked by Angela's Giovani Program. It was my favorite SP of the event. I love this commentator..."What a Capper!!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5p3zrEI7N0

Last edited:

phaeljones

On the Ice
There are two skaters, whose recent retirement I thought deprived the skating world of the best that those skaters could do and still had in them through future development.

Tatsuki Machida is the first that came to mind when I read this post. With his artistry and interpretation always being at the foundation of his skating, his talent and technical ability was just catching up to make him a complete skater to express that foundation fully. A late bloomer and well worth the wait. When he came in second to Hanyu at worlds in 2014, it was like, to most people, he seemed not to matter because he did not win. But, it was truly great skating, untouched in the style (different and not comparable to Hanyu's in many ways) he skated, and worth celebrating in its own right. And it seemed like, when he skated at the exhibition, at the gala for those worlds, everything was just beginning. Next season, when he left skating for his studies and a new direction, I could not help but think that he could have gone so much further if he had stayed for a couple more years. He was great, but he could have hit a mark much greater.

The other skater who seemed to be coming together and retired too early was Ronald Lam, who skated out of B.C. and, in his final years, represented Hong Kong. In his final year (2014-2015), he was really a treat to watch skate, and it seemed that he could be about to achieve so much more. He seemed to retire with a feeling of fulfillment, having in his own self, felt that it was time to move on and do other things. I was sorry that he retired though because he was one of the skaters I am sure would have skated even better in 2015-2016 than he had ever skated previously.