Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Farenheit 9/11 Opens Frieday

Farenheit 9/11 Opens Frieday

The movie won the Palm d'Or. That's a biggie for world wide interest! I haven't seen the film, although I will. I do know about it and if anyone is an ardent Bush supporter, I would suggest you avoid this film.

Joe

Medalist
    Definitely not a film that most Republicans would enjoy. I am really looking forward to seeing this movie.

I read a review in the NYT today, which suggested that one view the film like an editorial cartoon. That makes sense to me, the film sounds like a collection of soundbites that add up to a pretty negative portrayal of the Bush administration. I happen to agree with much of that interpretation, but many will disagree. I consider Moore more of a provoker than a documentary maker, but he's an effective filmmaker and knows what he's doing. I like his films far more than his personality however

Champion Skater (Vicariously)
    Quote Originally Posted by StillBlueLake
    I consider Moore more of a provoker than a documentary maker, but he's an effective filmmaker and knows what he's doing. I like his films far more than his personality however
    My sentiments exactly; I really enjoyed bowling for columbine, but there needed to be less of him in the movie because his message was gettting lost in his ridculousness. Hopefully he will have less screen time in F911.

Medalist
    I've heard that he's not much in this movie at all, except for the voiceover. I think that was a legit criticism of Bowling for Columbine. It was a bit heavy handed. I don't think Roger and Me had the same problem.

bugs are smarter than we are bronxgirl's Avatar
    I'll have to drive 40 miles to see the movie. The local houses had no problem with "The Passion", but can't seem to find room for this one. (And I will go see it!).The scene when Bush is told about the attacks on 9/11 and the camera just sits on him while he still reads a story to schoolchildren is supposed to be very telling.

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
    Well, I'm no fan of Bush, but to be fair, it's my understanding that after the first plane hit the towers, he was told it was an accident, and they didn't want to upset the little kids. As soon as the second plane hit, I believe they hauled him out of there. Not sure, though.

Laura

There was a little news snippet in the paper yesterday that Ray Bradbury, author of Fahrenheit 451 was thinking of suing Moore for stealing his title.

MM

Master Procrastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard
    Well, I'm no fan of Bush, but to be fair, it's my understanding that after the first plane hit the towers, he was told it was an accident, and they didn't want to upset the little kids. As soon as the second plane hit, I believe they hauled him out of there. Not sure, though.

Laura
    That's what I remember. President Bush was praised at the time for staying in the room, so as to not upset the children. Funny how things change :\ .

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Joesitz:

I too plan to see this movie. I really liked Michale Moores' last film "Bowling for Columbine" this one should be great too.

bugs are smarter than we are bronxgirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy25
    That's what I remember. President Bush was praised at the time for staying in the room, so as to not upset the children. Funny how things change :\ .
    I remember that day, and wondering where Bush was. The only leader that came out better than he went in (IMHO) was Giuliani. I wasn't a fan of the mayor before, but his skills were just what NYC needed. He truly shone as a beacon to New Yorkers in a time of darkness.

Custom Title
    I will make it a point NOT to see this film. Moore has a way of distorting history to make a purely political point. If Moore could find a way to blame earthquakes and tropical storms on politicians he didn't like, he would make a film about it, and the far-out liberal critics would praise it to the skies.

Medalist
    Well I like his films, and just to be fair, I'm a pretty moderate liberal. I don't think that mischaracterizations get us anywhere. JMO.

Master Procrastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm
    I will make it a point NOT to see this film. Moore has a way of distorting history to make a purely political point. If Moore could find a way to blame earthquakes and tropical storms on politicians he didn't like, he would make a film about it, and the far-out liberal critics would praise it to the skies.
    I'm with you. The sad thing is that people will see this film and automatically take it as factual.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy25
    I'm with you. The sad thing is that people will see this film and automatically take it as factual.
    I think the GREAT thing is that this film may expose the TRUTH about this Administration. :D

I've heard the film described as an "editorial cartoon". Those aren't LITERAL, but they make a powerful point. I expect this film to do the same.

Custom Title
    The sad thing is that the bits and pieces of this film have been taken totally out of context, mashed together and presented in a manner that purports to be "the truth". And yes, many people will think it is telling the truth when it is really edited in a way to present something sometimes 180 degrees away from the truth.

This guy has a political agenda, and the film is nothing more than propaganda to disseminate his biased ideas as 'truth'.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast