Thread: Farenheit 9/11 Opens Frieday

Hybrid View

Farenheit 9/11 Opens Frieday

The movie won the Palm d'Or. That's a biggie for world wide interest! I haven't seen the film, although I will. I do know about it and if anyone is an ardent Bush supporter, I would suggest you avoid this film.

Joe

Medalist
    Definitely not a film that most Republicans would enjoy. I am really looking forward to seeing this movie.

I read a review in the NYT today, which suggested that one view the film like an editorial cartoon. That makes sense to me, the film sounds like a collection of soundbites that add up to a pretty negative portrayal of the Bush administration. I happen to agree with much of that interpretation, but many will disagree. I consider Moore more of a provoker than a documentary maker, but he's an effective filmmaker and knows what he's doing. I like his films far more than his personality however

Champion Skater (Vicariously)
    Quote Originally Posted by StillBlueLake
    I consider Moore more of a provoker than a documentary maker, but he's an effective filmmaker and knows what he's doing. I like his films far more than his personality however
    My sentiments exactly; I really enjoyed bowling for columbine, but there needed to be less of him in the movie because his message was gettting lost in his ridculousness. Hopefully he will have less screen time in F911.

Medalist
    I've heard that he's not much in this movie at all, except for the voiceover. I think that was a legit criticism of Bowling for Columbine. It was a bit heavy handed. I don't think Roger and Me had the same problem.

bugs are smarter than we are bronxgirl's Avatar
    I'll have to drive 40 miles to see the movie. The local houses had no problem with "The Passion", but can't seem to find room for this one. (And I will go see it!).The scene when Bush is told about the attacks on 9/11 and the camera just sits on him while he still reads a story to schoolchildren is supposed to be very telling.

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
    Well, I'm no fan of Bush, but to be fair, it's my understanding that after the first plane hit the towers, he was told it was an accident, and they didn't want to upset the little kids. As soon as the second plane hit, I believe they hauled him out of there. Not sure, though.

Laura

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Joesitz:

I too plan to see this movie. I really liked Michale Moores' last film "Bowling for Columbine" this one should be great too.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Indeed, Moore's films are controversial and raise social consciousness. But is not that part of the United States freedom of speech? The freedom to express ideas - maybe not popular with everyone - but nonetheless, that's what free speech is about. Would you rather live in a controlled society? Here in Canada, pundits are always poking fun at our leaders - keeps them "on their toes!"

In love with the axel!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater
    Indeed, Moore's films are controversial and raise social consciousness. But is not that part of the United States freedom of speech? The freedom to express ideas - maybe not popular with everyone - but nonetheless, that's what free speech is about. Would you rather live in a controlled society? Here in Canada, pundits are always poking fun at our leaders - keeps them "on their toes!"
    I am all for free speech. I appreciate differing views. What I do not like is people portraying something as a "documentary" and/or "truth" when it is in fact entertainment and/or manipulation. Moore has recently said that this film is his view of the matter, not a documentary. However, the US media continues to insist that it is a documentary. It is not - it is an op-ed piece. Unfortunately, there are many, many, many people out there in the US who won't take the time to look at both sides of an issue - won't take the time to research - won't take the time to think for themselves. They believe what they see on the tv and the big screen as being the absolute truth.

As I said earlier, I'm not aiming my statements at anyone here -- you all seem to be well-read folks (which is normal at figure skating sites, I have found - we sure are a good bunch of folks :D . I'm quite involved in political discussions at skatingforums, but haven't jumped in here until recently). What I worry about is people (especially the media) representing opinion as fact - and that is all too common in this divisive political climate.

Custom Title
    It's truly ironic (and perversely funny in a way) that the Bush camp and supporters of Bush would have these objections to the Moore film.....

"Distorting the truth", "manipulation of facts" and not "taking the time for research" are exactly what many of us were complaining that our government did to us (and which has since been proven) in the haste to a pre-emptive and ill-conceived war of choice.

By the way, it's the same US media that allowed Bush that drumbeat of cliches and "you're either with or agin us" cowboy rhetoric, thereby giving credence to the lies and manipulations that were used to justify a wrong-minded aggressive action that we'll have to live with for years to come.

Michael Moore's movie will go to video and fade quietly away in months. The loss of thousands of lives, the trashing of the economy, the huge deficits - they'll be around a whole lot longer!

If it helps to move any undecided voters away from Bush support, then I say "Good job, Michael Moore!!"

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964
    I am all for free speech. I appreciate differing views. What I do not like is people portraying something as a "documentary" and/or "truth" when it is in fact entertainment and/or manipulation. Moore has recently said that this film is his view of the matter, not a documentary. However, the US media continues to insist that it is a documentary. It is not - it is an op-ed piece. Unfortunately, there are many, many, many people out there in the US who won't take the time to look at both sides of an issue - won't take the time to research - won't take the time to think for themselves. They believe what they see on the tv and the big screen as being the absolute truth.

So look at it like a political ad. It simplifies or distorts the truth to make a point. Bush's ads are genius at this. That one where they had Kerry voting "NO" four times to bills about military spending? That was ONE bill, and it was a spending bill that had a whole bunch of other stuff in it besides the military stuff.

That's just one example. At least people have to pay to see the movie. Every moron watching his or her television will see that Bush ad and go, "Holy Crap! Kerry didn't want to buy tanks for the military!" Thankfully, as you pointed out, figure skating fans are too bright to fall for that crap. Right?

Laura

Medalist
    Well since Bush's administration seems to be very fond of quoting the Bible and using the "will of God" to justify their policies, I'll put my opinion of MM op-ed piece as it relates to them in Biblical terms. The admin has spent the past three years distorting, conflating and twisting the facts to manipulate public opinion.

"Bretheren, as ye sow, surely shall you reap." :D

or in other words.....

Karma's a b*tch eh?

Salchows and Shimmies!!!
    What Michael Moore has portrayed in his movie is NO more manipulative and "distorting" than what the Bush administration handed the American people as proof positive that this country needed to go to war with Iraq.

Weapons of mass destruction? None found.
    Absolute link between Osama Bin Laden's terrorists and Saddam Hussein? No proven link exists.
    Proof that Iraq had a direct role in the 9/11 attacks? No role, proven though research of the 9/11 Commission.

At least there were no lives lost in the production of "Farenheit 9/11." The same can't be said for the war in Iraq. Just ask Mrs. Lipscomb.

Rinkside

Exclamation Alex Jones

Everyone should see Alex Jones´ films. They speak the real truth with out all that publicity. Please look into them. INFOWARS.COM.

Just a concerned American. :(