Farenheit 9/11 Opens Frieday | Golden Skate

Farenheit 9/11 Opens Frieday

The movie won the Palm d'Or. That's a biggie for world wide interest! I haven't seen the film, although I will. I do know about it and if anyone is an ardent Bush supporter, I would suggest you avoid this film.

Joe

StillBlueLake

Rinkside
Definitely not a film that most Republicans would enjoy. I am really looking forward to seeing this movie.

I read a review in the NYT today, which suggested that one view the film like an editorial cartoon. That makes sense to me, the film sounds like a collection of soundbites that add up to a pretty negative portrayal of the Bush administration. I happen to agree with much of that interpretation, but many will disagree. I consider Moore more of a provoker than a documentary maker, but he's an effective filmmaker and knows what he's doing. I like his films far more than his personality however :laugh:

Longhornliz

Final Flight
StillBlueLake said:
I consider Moore more of a provoker than a documentary maker, but he's an effective filmmaker and knows what he's doing. I like his films far more than his personality however :laugh:

My sentiments exactly; I really enjoyed bowling for columbine, but there needed to be less of him in the movie because his message was gettting lost in his ridculousness. Hopefully he will have less screen time in F911.

StillBlueLake

Rinkside
I've heard that he's not much in this movie at all, except for the voiceover. I think that was a legit criticism of Bowling for Columbine. It was a bit heavy handed. I don't think Roger and Me had the same problem.

bronxgirl

Medalist
I'll have to drive 40 miles to see the movie. The local houses had no problem with "The Passion", but can't seem to find room for this one. (And I will go see it!).The scene when Bush is told about the attacks on 9/11 and the camera just sits on him while he still reads a story to schoolchildren is supposed to be very telling.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Well, I'm no fan of Bush, but to be fair, it's my understanding that after the first plane hit the towers, he was told it was an accident, and they didn't want to upset the little kids. As soon as the second plane hit, I believe they hauled him out of there. Not sure, though.

Laura :)

There was a little news snippet in the paper yesterday that Ray Bradbury, author of Fahrenheit 451 was thinking of suing Moore for stealing his title.

MM

Lucy25

Final Flight
PrincessLeppard said:
Well, I'm no fan of Bush, but to be fair, it's my understanding that after the first plane hit the towers, he was told it was an accident, and they didn't want to upset the little kids. As soon as the second plane hit, I believe they hauled him out of there. Not sure, though.

Laura :)
That's what I remember. President Bush was praised at the time for staying in the room, so as to not upset the children. Funny how things change :\ .

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Joesitz:

I too plan to see this movie. I really liked Michale Moores' last film "Bowling for Columbine" this one should be great too.

bronxgirl

Medalist
Lucy25 said:
That's what I remember. President Bush was praised at the time for staying in the room, so as to not upset the children. Funny how things change :\ .

I remember that day, and wondering where Bush was. The only leader that came out better than he went in (IMHO) was Giuliani. I wasn't a fan of the mayor before, but his skills were just what NYC needed. He truly shone as a beacon to New Yorkers in a time of darkness.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will make it a point NOT to see this film. Moore has a way of distorting history to make a purely political point. If Moore could find a way to blame earthquakes and tropical storms on politicians he didn't like, he would make a film about it, and the far-out liberal critics would praise it to the skies.

StillBlueLake

Rinkside
Well I like his films, and just to be fair, I'm a pretty moderate liberal. I don't think that mischaracterizations get us anywhere. JMO.

Lucy25

Final Flight
chuckm said:
I will make it a point NOT to see this film. Moore has a way of distorting history to make a purely political point. If Moore could find a way to blame earthquakes and tropical storms on politicians he didn't like, he would make a film about it, and the far-out liberal critics would praise it to the skies.
I'm with you. The sad thing is that people will see this film and automatically take it as factual.

StillBlueLake

Rinkside
Lucy25 said:
I'm with you. The sad thing is that people will see this film and automatically take it as factual.

I think the GREAT thing is that this film may expose the TRUTH about this Administration. :D

I've heard the film described as an "editorial cartoon". Those aren't LITERAL, but they make a powerful point. I expect this film to do the same.

euterpe

Medalist
The sad thing is that the bits and pieces of this film have been taken totally out of context, mashed together and presented in a manner that purports to be "the truth". And yes, many people will think it is telling the truth when it is really edited in a way to present something sometimes 180 degrees away from the truth.

This guy has a political agenda, and the film is nothing more than propaganda to disseminate his biased ideas as 'truth'.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I cannot wait to see this film

I still have problems understanding why people say that Moore is spreading lies and misinformation. But then again, I have no idea why there are right wingers still around in this day and age.

StillBlueLake

Rinkside
euterpe said:
The sad thing is that the bits and pieces of this film have been taken totally out of context, mashed together and presented in a manner that purports to be "the truth". And yes, many people will think it is telling the truth when it is really edited in a way to present something sometimes 180 degrees away from the truth.

This guy has a political agenda, and the film is nothing more than propaganda to disseminate his biased ideas as 'truth'.

I don't know how you can not even see the movie and know it's propaganda. It makes you think that Republicans seem so concerned about this movie. After all, if it's all just BS, then why should they care?

I saw the trailer and two clips stuck together with Bush praising the "rich" may not have happened in that order, but I don't think they say NOTHING. I think they make an important point.

www.michaelmoore.com

You can watch the trailer there.

dfj

On the Ice
I watched Ron Reagan on Larry King Live last night (now THERE'S a Bush "disliker"). He said he tried to get into the movie yesterday afternoon (opened in New York yesterday), but it had been sold out all day. Cons will hate it; dems will love it. Personally, I'm on the left and I like Michael Moore - he makes you think.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kara Bear said:
I cannot wait to see this film

I still have problems understanding why people say that Moore is spreading lies and misinformation. But then again, I have no idea why there are right wingers still around in this day and age.

I guess it's because this is a free country, and people are permitted to have different ideas and concepts.

To me, a 'right winger' is a John Bircher or a Ku Klux Klansman or a Timothy McVeigh. A conservative is a person who is about as far from a right winger as a liberal is from Leon Trotsky. I am somewhere to the right of a liberal and somewhere to the left of a conservative.

To you, Kara Bear, a 'right winger' is someone who doesn't think exactly the way you do.

I am a well-educated, highly intelligent individual who has been out in the workforce for a goodly number of years, and do have a grasp on what it means to earn a living and how the different political policies affect me and my family from day to day. I vote every year, and read widely, including liberal, middle-ground and conservative books, newspapers and magazines. My opinions are carefully considered, and not arrived at piecemeal or what looks to be the most popular view among my friends.

I do not need a 22-year-old who has never held down a permanent job to tell me what my opinion should or should not be, thank you very much.

Inasmuch as you are not a US citizen and can't vote, what you think about the subject of the film is entirely immaterial anyway.

Last edited:

Aloft04

On the Ice
I'll be right there with you, Kara Bear, (with a big tub of popcorn with way too much yellow grease on it).