Skaters out of their comfort zones | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Skaters out of their comfort zones

TheCzar

On the Ice
It's not so much that Javier is boxed in music-wise- he's just not a naturally rhythmic guy. That's what makes it hard to choose music for him, hence the schtick. The last two seasons, his team has been smart in using character pieces to hide his flaws. However, I adore his matador SP this year! I would like for him to explore suave music...embrace his cheese factor but in a sexy way instead of skating like a panto Jack.

Mao Asada should try a different choreographer but as far as pushing her artistic side, she can't really do much jovial programs because it comes off juniorish. Her SP this season has enough sass to keep it mature but I abhorred her 2013 SP. I loved how quirky her Scheherazade was though in 2012.

The Russians should lighten up! Except for Anna. Am I the only one who sees her blossoming into an enchanting skater? Barring the falls, I think her Scheherazade is captivating in the same way Carolina did for Bolero. Elena and Evgenia SHOULD try and skate to ballet music, purely for the purpose of forcing them to actually adopt better components.

Patrick Chan could try to skate to anything else apart from Michael Bublé and Classical Music. When he skates to the latter, it just all melts together into a blur.

Layback11

Record Breaker
More thoughts:

In response to TheCzar's comment about Lena and Zhenya, that could either work or fail miserably. Lena should do something lighthearted and preferably character-based; Coppelia or one of the lesser-used parts of the Nutcracker would work. "Pizzicato" from Sylvia could work as well.

Zhenya could do a lot of things, but "Darke, Heavie and Dramatik!" Should be avoided (we do not need another skater who can only do that!), as should major warhorses. Read: no Swan Lake! Maybe Giselle? No idea, really.

TheCzar

On the Ice
More thoughts:

In response to TheCzar's comment about Lena and Zhenya, that could either work or fail miserably. Lena should do something lighthearted and preferably character-based; Coppelia or one of the lesser-used parts of the Nutcracker would work. "Pizzicato" from Sylvia could work as well.

Zhenya could do a lot of things, but "Darke, Heavie and Dramatik!" Should be avoided (we do not need another skater who can only do that!), as should major warhorses. Read: no Swan Lake! Maybe Giselle? No idea, really.

Don Quixote might work for Zhenya, and La Bayadere for Lena?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I would love to see Patrick try a funk program. Nathan Chen did "Smooth Criminal" which I might have loved if Tara could have kept that trap of hers closed long enough for me to enjoy the music. Listen to her rant during this program. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBjsF4sN0ZQ Zip It Already!! Geeze....:drama:

Not only was Tara yakking away, but Terry was as well. And just when I thought Johnny had the sense to shut up, he chimed in at length. But the skate was great!

Tallorder

On the Ice
She could definitely pull off the high drama and intense characterization that much of the music would demand

TheCzar

On the Ice
It is not a matador SP. Everything that is Spanish is not matador. It's a flamenco program. Javier's exhibition for last season was a humorous matador number.

Apologies. Didn't mean to generalise but the choreography does have some bull fighter moves? Music may be flamenco but his character seems to suggest otherwise, but my bad. Needless to say, I know everything that is Spanish is not matador- much like everything Japanese isn't a geisha program, or everything American isn't a broadway tune. Chill.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Hanyu in a Patrick costume, no sparkles or feather in sight, only 2 quads are allowed, boring and subdued. No Plushy 'I am #1 pose' ... banned!

Patrick does a ridiculously outrageous unsophisticated Boyang Jin - How to train my dragon type of program, skating to transformers choreographed by Michael Bay lol..

Mao Asada does an Elena Leonardo DiCaprio progran, infact just anything with Leonardo di caprio in it, eve with a bear.

Elena does Coppelia.. that would be ace. Less is more darling. Long limbs works best!!!

Jason Brown do something without winks, hip swaying, gun finger to the judges... Maxim K does the same too...

Denis do clean early in the season... all the way to the end and stay on his feet. Same with Brezina ... actually just stay on his feet, asking more would be too much would be unfair and unrealistic.

Han Yan not in a Chinese waiter costume... no where near a wifi spot near Lori Nichols. Please try a Patrick Chan program with no cheap tricks, schticks, or having to appear to be funny. Infact, just be Plushy, confidence, arrogance, charm, play it straight and believe in yourself.

Satoko... jump 10cm+ off the ground...

Last edited: