Loop as a second Jump - any tips? | Golden Skate

Loop as a second Jump - any tips?

beaconbabe5

Rinkside
Hi, I am an adult skater working on my USFSA tests. For my silver mif test my coach wants me to do a waltz-loop or a salchow-loop. The waltz-loop is coming although sometimes I freak myself and I only did the salchow loop a couple of times. Any advice/pointers - I think the scary part for me is landing with the free leg in front. Thanks......

vlaurend

Final Flight
I actually think it is much easier to do a loop-loop than a salchow-loop or waltz-loop. When you a loop-loop, all you need to do is just stay in position when your landing foot comes down on the ice, open your arms out so that your landing arm is out to the side and your free arm is out to the front, sit down on the blade just a little, then spring up and pull the arms and free leg back in again. It feels like you're just jumping on a pogo stick and it's easy because there is no change of body position required. Make sure you always keep your chest over your knee over your toe on the loop jump takeoff and landing so that you stay on the ball of the blade. And of course, always point your toes on takeoff.

Try it first with no rotation, just gliding backward very slowly on the ice with arms at 12:00 and 4:00 (left arm in front, right arm & shoulder back, assuming you jump CCW), then bending and jumping straight up and pulling your arms in, then landing and opening out, then jumping up and pulling in again, all while keeping that free leg in front. You can just hinge your elbows open and closed without moving the arms at all. Once you've done that, try the same thing from an actual loop jump, with a little speed. You'll find that the second loop practically jumps itself once you get the right rhythm and open-close-open of the arms and free leg.. Once you are comfortable with a loop-loop, it shouldn't be so scary to land any other jump with the free foot in front and get into that loop takeoff position. Practicing backspins will also help your natural ability to get into this position.

I think it could also help to practice the loop jump from a RFI 3-turn (again, assuming CCW skater). This teaches you to turn your right hip in to get backward for the landing with the free leg in front, but then keep your right arm and shoulder back on landing for the loop takeoff position That's exactly what you will have to do on the waltz-loop or salchow-loop in order to land with the foot in front in a good loop takeoff position.

Last edited:

beaconbabe5

Rinkside
I actually think it is much easier to do a loop-loop than a salchow-loop or waltz-loop. When you a loop-loop, all you need to do is just stay in position when your landing foot comes down on the ice, open your arms out so that your landing arm is out to the side and your free arm is out to the front, sit down on the blade just a little, then spring up and pull the arms and free leg back in again. It feels like you're just jumping on a pogo stick and it's easy because there is no change of body position required. Make sure you always keep your chest over your knee over your toe on the loop jump takeoff and landing so that you stay on the ball of the blade. And of course, always point your toes on takeoff.

Try it first with no rotation, just gliding backward very slowly on the ice with arms at 12:00 and 4:00 (left arm in front, right arm & shoulder back, assuming you jump CCW), then bending and jumping straight up and pulling your arms in, then landing and opening out, then jumping up and pulling in again, all while keeping that free leg in front. You can just hinge your elbows open and closed without moving the arms at all. Once you've done that, try the same thing from an actual loop jump, with a little speed. You'll find that the second loop practically jumps itself once you get the right rhythm and open-close-open of the arms and free leg.. Once you are comfortable with a loop-loop, it shouldn't be so scary to land any other jump with the free foot in front and get into that loop takeoff position. Practicing backspins will also help your natural ability to get into this position.

I think it could also help to practice the loop jump from a RFI 3-turn (again, assuming CCW skater). This teaches you to turn your right hip in to get backward for the landing with the free leg in front, but then keep your right arm and shoulder back on landing for the loop takeoff position That's exactly what you will have to do on the waltz-loop or salchow-loop in order to land with the foot in front in a good loop takeoff position.

Thank you I will definitely try a loop loop and work on my loop from an inside 3 (I prefer doing it from back crossovers, but this will definitely help). I appreciate such a detailed answer! I will be skating later today and will play around with this. :)

beaconbabe5

Rinkside
Yes, but I like the loop better. My issue is more of landing in a good position in between the 2 jumps.

beaconbabe5

Rinkside
Yes, but I like doing loops better. My issue is landing between jumps with my leg in front and I need a better arm position.
My loop and half-loop alone are pretty good.

vlaurend

Final Flight
Thank you I will definitely try a loop loop and work on my loop from an inside 3 (I prefer doing it from back crossovers, but this will definitely help). I appreciate such a detailed answer! I will be skating later today and will play around with this. :)

Let me know how it goes! :D

beaconbabe5

Rinkside
Hmmm not sure if I replied correctly. Thank you it is going well! I realized that I was trying to cross my foot when landing instead of just landing with it in front (duh). ;) The salchow loop is easier for me than the waltz loop as I like to jump a little outside the circle on the waltz

vlaurend

Final Flight
Hmmm not sure if I replied correctly. Thank you it is going well! I realized that I was trying to cross my foot when landing instead of just landing with it in front (duh). ;) The salchow loop is easier for me than the waltz loop as I like to jump a little outside the circle on the waltz

Great!! Did it help at all to try loop-loop?

beaconbabe5

Rinkside

Thanks, lol I have not logged on in a while! I am able to do loop loop, salchow loop, waltz loop, flip loop and lutz (let’s say flute) loop! Just getting back to lessons after knee surgery so working on getting everything back. It take a bit, but things are going in the right direction!

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
1) be patient. Don't force the jump, let it happen on the curve and try get the rhythm.
2) don't forget the "h" position. This is important to gain height in 2nd jump