Banned elements in figure skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Banned elements in figure skating

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I think I once read that this is because at one point too many teams indulged in excessive "death scenes" and spent more time lying on the ice than they did skating :biggrin: but I don't know if that's true or even if I remember that correctly

Katarina Witt anyone? :laugh:

gkelly

Record Breaker
That's how I remember it. I thought they said dying on the ice is banned, not lying on the ice. Same thing I guess.:laugh:

I don't know for a fact what the reasoning was. But I think it was more about not wanting to give credit for dramatic gestures that don't use skating skills, specifically for the time spent not using skating skills, than for dramatic gestures at all.

So it's fine to have a death scene in your free dance (or other program) as long as your blades remain on the ice.

But it's not OK to roll around on the ice during your program or even as an end pose, regardless of program theme.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
That's how I remember it. I thought they said dying on the ice is banned, not lying on the ice. Same thing I guess.:laugh:
Maybe they were afraid that the next trend would involve something like "Sleeping Beauty" and figured they needed to be precise :biggrin: "I'm not playing dead, I'm just taking a really long nap, so this is totally not against the rules!"

jaq

Rinkside
Last edited:

casualfan

On the Ice
I don't know for a fact what the reasoning was. But I think it was more about not wanting to give credit for dramatic gestures that don't use skating skills, specifically for the time spent not using skating skills, than for dramatic gestures at all.

So it's fine to have a death scene in your free dance (or other program) as long as your blades remain on the ice.

But it's not OK to roll around on the ice during your program or even as an end pose, regardless of program theme.

Wouldn't we have missed out on T/D's Bolero if these rules had been in place 30 years ago? That would have been a crying shame.

mrrice

Record Breaker
:dev2: I'd like some male make pair try this in real life and I can be happy forever: http://youtu.be/_7dr6PCeW4c

If this ever happens, they should call Armin Mahbanoozadeh. He's has big, pretty jumps. He's like 2Ft Tall, and weighs about 100 pounds. He'd be perfect as the throwee... Is that a word. I don't want to call him the girl.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Not mean. Just sad. I was thinking about Kurt and Elvis more.

That is kind of mean - lest we forget who really started it all Brian Orser then Kurt, Elvis, Jeffrey I guess and Parick. Really great skaters and arguably Brian or Elvis in particular deserved a gold for their performances. Life is about timing - how many times was the world champ going into an Olympic year a Canadian man? So many.

stryke

On the Ice
Was there a particular performance that led to the back flip being banned? Or did everyone sort of realize that it's not so safe of a move to do?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I wrote Brian Orser later on. Damn. don't overreact. and follow the thread :)

My first post, was a sarcastic joke.
Then MrRice talked about Patrick.

In haste I referred to Kurt and Elvis... I do remember Brian but I was not aware of the "Canadian Curse" until later in life ;) when gkelly mentioned Brian, of course I agreed.

As I said, Patrick for me, still has a tiny chance... So I remain hopeful.

Jeffrey : he did well enough. 2006 was a crazy tough field for him. Getting bronze was spectacular. What a great comeback. He then went on to win the WC and retired. He was never the gold medal hopeful like the other 4 were.

At least the other guys got medals, I feel the most sad for Kurt who missed his chance twice despite being WC 4 times... Leaving empty handed must have been really hard.

Nope... not mean... sarcastic but not mean. I am Canadian, proud to be, proud of our figure skating stars and their achievements.

That is kind of mean - lest we forget who really started it all Brian Orser then Kurt, Elvis, Jeffrey I guess and Parick. Really great skaters and arguably Brian or Elvis in particular deserved a gold for their performances. Life is about timing - how many times was the world champ going into an Olympic year a Canadian man? So many.