"Never ending" program | Golden Skate

"Never ending" program

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
There gotta be some programs where in the middle you may start thinking like "Why is this program so long even though it's a short program? / I thought it's the end? / Why it's never ending..." Have you seen any of this? I SO remember Gracie's POTO LP last season and Kovtun's SP this season. I don't even want to continue watching...

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
In general I don't like these long step sequences. There are some top skaters who can perform it well, they are skating with the music...but some (not so strong) skaters just want to have a level and then it is either very slow StSq to very slow music, which really has no end or it is fast music but skater is not able to skate to the rhytm...When I watch these StSq I just think: why it has to be so long?

anyanka

Record Breaker
Johnny and Tara used to diss Anna Pogo's 2013/14 Pirates FS as "lovely but never-ending". I think it's spot on. Not her fault, but more the music, which doesn't lend itself well over the course of 4.5 minutes. They did praise her talent though.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Johnny and Tara used to diss Anna Pogo's 2013/14 Pirates FS as "lovely but never-ending". I think it's spot on. Not her fault, but more the music, which doesn't lend itself well over the course of 4.5 minutes. They did praise her talent though.

They should know. Tara has made every program she comments on SEEM like it's lasting for ever. I'm still mad about her ruining the Shibs for me. Ugh :disapp:

After giving the programs a re-watch. It was Tanith who ruined the Shibs and Tara and Johnny who ruined Gracie. :drama:

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Hmm, interesting question. I know I've seen some, but I honestly don't remember what they are. :laugh2:

Some short dances, especially ones in patterns that tend to produce extremely similar programs (paso...ugh), drag on forever if they're really boring and generic.

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
They should know. Tara has made every program she comments on SEEM like it's lasting for ever. I'm still mad about her ruining the Shibs for me. Ugh :disapp:

After giving the programs a re-watch. It was Tanith who ruined the Shibs and Tara and Johnny who ruined Gracie. :drama:

I was nervous enough watching Gracie skate her free program at Nationals and Tara & Johnny were yackety yacking throughout the program so much that I was afraid they would jinx her into a fall!

desertskates

Medalist
Her Gone With the Wind is kind of like that, too.
Agreed, That was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread. Really such a shame, because her I really like her short this year.
Please, please, please, Polina... choose more wisely next year.

Tallorder

On the Ice
Imagine what it must be like for skaters to train some of these programs that audiences struggle to retain interest in for the full 3 or 4+ minutes. It's almost striking that "something" doesn't "register" with the skater and coaches which this happens by the time the major events of the season roll around.

megenta

Rinkside
Imagine what it must be like for skaters to train some of these programs that audiences struggle to retain interest in for the full 3 or 4+ minutes. It's almost striking that "something" doesn't "register" with the skater and coaches which this happens by the time the major events of the season roll around.

Maybe they are so bored with listening the same music all day everyday even if it's really good. So then some horrible music doesn't feel any more straining after the novelty has worn off..

dreamsk8

On the Ice
Trying to think of one routine in particular.... But it those piece of music that are so monotone so slow the whole routine that you start looking around the room, it can't keep you attention. You go get a snack then you come back and they are still skating.
:yawn:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it depends on the song, the skating, and how well they're performing it as a whole. If it captivates you, it seems like it was too short. But if they're bombing badly, it seems like forever to end. Songs that are pretty classical with no OOMPH of fun and excitement in it kind of seems like it for me...though there are a few exceptions. Like the movements have to carry out and emotion have to show through. Also if I'm nervous about the next competitor, then their program seems like it never ends.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
A lot of Bolero programs always seem to be a snoozefest for me. Torvil and Dean and Carolina are the exceptions and I really love both of those programs... But the rest? ... meh. Including Liza Tukt's SP last year, she lost me after the triple axel. *shrug*

I think it's just the repetitive nature of the same notes over and over. I can appreciate the piece in itself as a masterpiece, but for a skating program I feel like I tend to tune out after the first minute.

Sorry, please don't crucify me for this opinion. :(