dead computers! | Golden Skate

dead computers!

bronxgirl

Medalist
I had to spend 3 hours on the phone with a very pleasant technician from Microsoft this evening. It seems that my "registry" files had become so corrupted, the computer would not start. I had to dig out my Windows Me disc, then the windows XP upgrade, the computer has been wiped clean and I have to reload all of the utilities over the weekend. There was no virus, just, "well Maam, your computer is 3 years old and these things can just break down at random.
Why don't I believe that this ever happens to Bill Gates!!! :sheesh:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Bronx.........I feel for you, been there too. I took my computer so far back to erase corrupted files that I took it back to before it was loaded with software. I came up with a blank screen, nothing, nada.......I had to move it forward in time (thank goodness for the recovery disk). I finally "bit the bullet" and bought a new computer last year.......42

sk8ing_lady2001

Final Flight
I can't get rid of the WhenUSearch toolbar on my computer, either, even after trying to uninstall it using Add/Remove Programs. Please help! :cry:

There are some software tools that supposedly try to keep your registry files in working order. I have something called "System Mechanic" that I got from AOL. I run this every so often, and it always comes up with a long list of corrupted files which it then tries to fix.

I don't know if it really works or if it's just blowing smoke, LOL.

Mathman

PS. Angie, I don't know if this helps, but at least you might be able to get it off your screen by going to Internet Explorer, View, Toolbars, and uncheck it. It will still be on your computer, but at least you won't see it.

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Bronxgirl:

bronxgirl said:
I had to spend 3 hours on the phone with a very pleasant technician from Microsoft this evening. It seems that my "registry" files had become so corrupted, the computer would not start. I had to dig out my Windows Me disc, then the windows XP upgrade, the computer has been wiped clean and I have to reload all of the utilities over the weekend. There was no virus, just, "well Maam, your computer is 3 years old and these things can just break down at random.
Why don't I believe that this ever happens to Bill Gates!!! :sheesh:

Well, we do live in a "throw away society." I am sure Bill Gates is well aware of this.

bronxgirl

Medalist
The person who is my computer guru is away with his family on a vacation until Monday. I have Symantec Systemwork on my computer, up to date antivirus software and spy ware, and this process of reloading my computer is taking FOREVER!!!. The next one will be an APPLE!!! (very nice Microsoft technician not withstanding). :p

heyang

Record Breaker
I feel your pain. I haven't posted much since sometime in May. My 3 year old IBM laptop started shutting off after 20 minutes. 2 of my friends suspected a virus, but my Norton is all up to date. When I brought the computer to someone at work, it worked perfectly. I took it home and it would only boot up in safe mode. Took it back to work....one of my buddies was able to get it to run, but only on battery and none of the drives were being recognized.

Finally went to Best Buy last week and bought a new Toshiba laptop. Unfortunately, I wasn't very good about taking back-ups and will still need to spend some time trying to get my old files off the IBM.

Good Luck.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There has been an enormous problem with computer viruses this past month. My brother's entire motherboard was wiped out, and he had to send it back to HP to get a replacement. He lost about 75% of his stored files, and now has loaded software to check the computer automatically for viruses every so many hours, and is backing up all his important stuff on DVDs.

My computer was hit with a virus that would not allow an internet connection. Every time yahoo.com (or any other internet portal) was launched, the computer shut down. It took a technician 4 hours to fix the problem.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
sk8ing_lady2001 said:
I can't get rid of the WhenUSearch toolbar on my computer, either, even after trying to uninstall it using Add/Remove Programs. Please help! :cry:

Angie, I have had good luck using Ad-aware. It's free for personal use and can be found at http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
You'll need to click on the download link on the right and pick a site.

This program searches your computer for scumware and removes it. Scumware are programs that get downloaded into your computer without your permission. They can gather your information or track your browsing habits or download other programs. They are just a major pain :mad: When U is a name that comes up often.

I hope this helps!

Lcp88

On the Ice
My computer has been acting up too. Its virused, and no virus scan or anti - spyware program is working. Its older - about 7 years - but I still don't see why i can't find a sutiable program. I can't be online with more than one window at a time being open or else it freezes and pops up with a teal screen that says "PREES ENTER TO CONTINUE" which then leads to a bunch of ad's poping up on my desktop, which is why I haven't been ablt to really post lately. Stupid thing :mad:
Laura

guinevere

Final Flight
Ugh, all this makes me so nervous - my computer at home is 5 years old. I'd like to get a new (faster, more powerful) one, but I can't bring myself to throw away a perfectly good computer. But I do get nervous that the whole thing will just stop working one day :(

Last year, I had a 2 year old laptop at work that just stopped working one day for no reason. I think laptops go kaput faster than PCs.

Because of this thread I am going to back up all my fiiles tonight when I get home!

guinevere

Silver Lining

Rinkside
You need to run the "Hijack This" program and get rid of the bad Browser Helper Objects. The Spyware removal programs aren't working on those at this time.

bronxgirl

Medalist
Now it's really dead

My computer once again up and died last night. I think I should hold a tasteful memorial service (it was my first home computer) and stop calling microsoft in the middle of the night since, no the CD tray won't open either as well as refusing to start Windows. I can only sneak onto the forum lunchtime at work, this is going to be a miserable time til I get a new computer. I don't think repairs would be worth it since it is 3 years old, and that qualifies as decrepid in computer life span terms...

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Sorry to hear about yalls computer troubles... I feel your pain as the past 6 months I was dealing with a PC just wracked with spyware and viruses that norton was not able to quarantine. But now I'm in love with my mac ibook. 95% of those vicicous programs are written for windows and specifically internet explorer.... so i have basic firewall protection and run a system scan once a week and Ive had no problems.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
For the last few days I keep getting a "Run Time Error" message after reading a few posts here at GS. Is this happening to anyone else?

Piel, can you tell if this is a message from Golden Skate or from Internet Explorer or from your own computer? What happens after you receive the message. Can you just ignore it and go on reading GS?

Liz, I have had a lot of trouble with Norton Anti-virus, too. Ifinally had to disinstall it. Norton itself was crashing Windows. I guess I'll try MacAfee.

Mathman :)

Kateri

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Piel, can you tell if this is a message from Golden Skate or from Internet Explorer or from your own computer? What happens after you receive the message. Can you just ignore it and go on reading GS?

Liz, I have had a lot of trouble with Norton Anti-virus, too. Ifinally had to disinstall it. Norton itself was crashing Windows. I guess I'll try MacAfee.

Mathman :)

I really like the free virus scanner from AVG:

http://www.grisoft.com

it works, it updates its virus database in seconds at the touch of a button, and it's free!
And no, they're not paying me....

And bronxgirl, if you really need to open the cd tray when it's broken, you can push an unbent paper clip (or similar) into the little hole under the cd tray to trip the catch open.

k.

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Mathman, It is from IE. BUT it only happens while at GS??? Then everything disappears except for the wallpaper that usually just comes up briefly before my Ashlyn wallpaper comes up. The purple wallpaper comes up but no icons, start button, or anything else except the #@!^$#!@$%^&*(*^$%#!@!@Compaq logo. I have to turn the power off and then restart everything. This is the longest I have been able to stay at GS site for a couple of days. Any ideas? Thanks! :)

bronxgirl

Medalist
Kateri And bronxgirl said:
Tried that last night too to no avail. Just put in my order for a new computer. OUCH! (A little too much consumer therapy at one time can be painful :D )