Lower calf pain | Golden Skate

Lower calf pain

coucou84

On the Ice
Hi!

Since this past Saturday, every time I put on my skates, my left lower calf hurts quite a bit. I can't push off of it for the first few minutes on the ice (very visible on backward crossovers), but it goes away about 10 minutes afterwards.

It's just one spot that hurts, but only when I press on it. So when I don't have my skates on, I'm pain free, but because the spot is about an inch over my skate, it hurts quite a bit.

I've had these skates for over a year now and they have never caused any problems, at least not the problem I'm having now!

Anyone has a clue what might be the problem? Thank you!

vlaurend

Final Flight
This happens to me sometimes, too. I just wear a gel ankle sleeve (Bunga or Silippos) and put a gel disk under it, right where the bruising is.

coucou84

On the Ice
This happens to me sometimes, too. I just wear a gel ankle sleeve (Bunga or Silippos) and put a gel disk under it, right where the bruising is.

The thing is that I don't have a bruise or anything! It's so random....

coucou84

On the Ice
Hmm. . . Could be a nerve or tendon, in that case. Have you tried a pad there? Does it help?

I thought it might've been the tendon.... no I have not tried a pad there, mainly because my skates are quite tight and a pad would probably not fit. However, these past few times the pain has been diminishing progressively, I think it was just a pinched nerve or something and it's slowly getting better :)

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hm... does it feel like muscle pain or like a pinched nerve? If it's muscular, try massaging (with a tennis ball or a small bouncy ball, vibrating massager, etc), stretching, and heating the area (or ice; depending on your philosophy and preference), especially nice warm baths with epsom salts. Don't forget your shin muscles, hamstrings, and IT bands; tightness there can cause issues in the calf. Is it only when you're skating, or does it show up with other physical activity too? As in, can you do backwards crossovers without your skates on?

coucou84

On the Ice
Hm... does it feel like muscle pain or like a pinched nerve? If it's muscular, try massaging (with a tennis ball or a small bouncy ball, vibrating massager, etc), stretching, and heating the area (or ice; depending on your philosophy and preference), especially nice warm baths with epsom salts. Don't forget your shin muscles, hamstrings, and IT bands; tightness there can cause issues in the calf. Is it only when you're skating, or does it show up with other physical activity too? As in, can you do backwards crossovers without your skates on?

I don't know if it's a pinched nerve or a muscle pain to be honest. I don't know how the two feel differently. It only happens when I have my skates on. Running, jumping, stretching off ice is painless. And how do you do back crossovers without skates? XD

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know if it's a pinched nerve or a muscle pain to be honest. I don't know how the two feel differently. It only happens when I have my skates on. Running, jumping, stretching off ice is painless. And how do you do back crossovers without skates? XD

Haha you can't really, but a similar motion, obviously not traveling. :D Here's a basic summary of the differences in pain:
https://www.sharecare.com/health/bone-joint-muscle-health/how-pain-nerve-muscle-skeletal

To my non-medical ear, it sounds like something solely skate related. If it's going away after warm-up, try warming up the area thoroughly before you put your skates on; that may help.

coucou84

On the Ice
Haha you can't really, but a similar motion, obviously not traveling. :D Here's a basic summary of the differences in pain:
https://www.sharecare.com/health/bone-joint-muscle-health/how-pain-nerve-muscle-skeletal

To my non-medical ear, it sounds like something solely skate related. If it's going away after warm-up, try warming up the area thoroughly before you put your skates on; that may help.

I will! Thank you :) It's gotten a lot better..... maybe it was just a little tweeked something somewhere